Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My mind is my own worst enemy  (Read 1524 times)

• Liked: 4985
My mind is my own worst enemy
« on: January 08, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
Ugh, so you guys know I've been job hunting for approximately a million years now (okay, 3 months).

I'm the final two AGAIN for a job that I really really REALLY want.  This is the job that makes the one I was passed over for late Oct/early Nov seem like the right thing.  At this point, I've interviewed with roughly 20 people.  I have allowed myself to REALLY want this one and I just cannot take the thought of another rejection.

Today, the recruiting agency called - a different recruiter than my normal one.  She knows I'm close with this role but wants me to attend an interview tomorrow for a role that was proposed to me before Christmas.  I'm going to the interview - because I can't put all my eggs in one basket.

Here's my issue - I'm an analyst at heart.  I am SO FEARFUL that they want me to attend this interview because they know I'm not going to get the job I really want!  I called my specific recruiter and she said that she genuinely isn't going to hear which way they are going until tomorrow or Wednesday (hiring manager is in the USA this week talking to people there).  She even thinks they could have me and the other finalist have one more interview with someone who was unable to make last week's rounds.  I'm trying hard to believe her that she genuinely doesn't know the outcome.  She says the hiring manager holds his cards really close and is hard to read (I can see this).

Basically - all this rambling - do you think I'm reading too much into things by being considered by the agency for a different role?  Or am I onto something?

Cross those fingers ladies and gents - I want this one.  And I will cry if I don't get it.  LOL.   ;D

• Liked: 957
Re: My mind is my own worst enemy
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
I think the agency is probably contacting you for the second role because their job is to find good candidates. Until you're no longer looking you'll probably be towards the top of their list for many senior roles that are both hard to fill (limited qualified candidates) and find the right fit!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »
I think the agency is probably contacting you for the second role because their job is to find good candidates. Until you're no longer looking you'll probably be towards the top of their list for many senior roles that are both hard to fill (limited qualified candidates) and find the right fit!

That's basically what my husband said.  That in their eyes, I'm still available.  And that it would be unethical of them to pass me up for a role until the other one is set.  I'm still worried though!  Cuz that's what I do!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 03:16:24 PM »
That's basically what my husband said.  That in their eyes, I'm still available.  And that it would be unethical of them to pass me up for a role until the other one is set.  I'm still worried though!  Cuz that's what I do!
Job hunting is seriously the most stressful thing ever. I'd be worrying too honestly. But I do try to remember the logical side of things when it is all out of my control, and your husband is spot on with his assessment.

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »
Thank you! Logic left me a few months ago!   ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 03:57:39 PM »
Recruiters, well their own purpose in life is to fill jobs and usually they don't get paid until they fill the role.  .So they will chuck your CV, along with a few others towards whatever.  Sure they've definitely got to find the right people too, (because the companies won't use them again if they fail them), but they want their commission and fees too.

So yeah, they will probably still fling your CV at everything until you sign on the dotted line and then they'll probably call you all the freakin time after you've got a new job to see if you're happy with said job and would you like something new. 

You should take it as a compliment that you've got a good enough CV that recruiters keep thinking of you!   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 424
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 04:36:59 PM »
Have faith KFdancer! You are obviously a high potential, high demand item! Attend the second interview......then they will offer you both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 05:02:20 PM »
Recruiters, well their own purpose in life is to fill jobs and usually they don't get paid until they fill the role.  .So they will chuck your CV, along with a few others towards whatever.  Sure they've definitely got to find the right people too, (because the companies won't use them again if they fail them), but they want their commission and fees too.

So yeah, they will probably still fling your CV at everything until you sign on the dotted line and then they'll probably call you all the freakin time after you've got a new job to see if you're happy with said job and would you like something new. 

You should take it as a compliment that you've got a good enough CV that recruiters keep thinking of you!

Exactly what my friend said - they haven't gotten paid so I'm fair game.  THAT I understand.   ;D

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »
Even further than what   Phatbeetle and Margo said, often the recruiter needs to send along a certain number of candidates, even if they have a  perfect candidate in mind.  The client still wants to see three possibilities no matter what.  Since you are still on the hook, they know you will show up and not make them look bad so they are certainly motivated to send you on as many interviews as possible. Plus, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 11:20:04 AM »
The ultimate indicator of when you aren't going to get the job is when they won't talk to you or return your calls.  When you are still in the running, they call you like a teenage girl friend.  When they stop, it's time to go back to the job sites.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
The ultimate indicator of when you aren't going to get the job is when they won't talk to you or return your calls.  When you are still in the running, they call you like a teenage girl friend.  When they stop, it's time to go back to the job sites.

Hee heee, okay, cool.

I went to the interview this morning.  The job would be fine.  It's a contract (could become permanent) so a bit different.  I still want Job A though!  Gimme gimme gimee.

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
A contract could be nice but maybe expensive if you just go on to become permie.  Especially if they won't accept you being paid through an umbrella company.  And you'll most likely be inside IR 35. 

• Liked: 154
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 07:08:56 PM »
Good luck, I’m sure you’ll get one of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
Let's hope!

Supposed to hear by the end of the week on the permanent role and possibly the contract role.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »
Keeping fingers crossed for you KFDancer
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links