Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Steer me? Credit Card and Financial adviser (also US/UK tax help)  (Read 996 times)

• Liked: 0
Ahhh!
Ok, short version: I've been living in London for 2+ years. I'm married to UK Citizen and I have Spouse Visa (right to work and all that).

Banking: I have a current account with Lloyds and am about to open a business account with them also. Have registered as a Sole Trader for my freelance business (food stylist).

Problem 1.) I'm trying to get a credit card (just to establish myself further, not out of need). I can't get one as I am not on - (and can't get on) - the Registered Voter Poll.

Problem 2.) I'm a moron when it comes to taxes. (too many actual questions to list here).

Request for help: Can anyone advise me how they have navigated the credit card issue? - AND - Can anyone recommend a financial adviser that specializes in US to UK issues (including taxes)?

Any help with any of this would be amazing!
Thanks All !!!

• Liked: 35
Re: Steer me? Credit Card and Financial adviser (also US/UK tax help)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »
Any adviser that understands UK AND US tax laws will be horribly expensive. I use an accountant in each country and common sense to glue the two together. Not perfect but it's as good as it is going to get for me.

Have you tried a secured credit card?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:06:29 AM »
Why not get a joint account with your UK husband and get a credit card associated with that?  I did it through HSBC without any fuss and I'm not on any electoral roll.

Another option might be Tesco, they gave me a card as well.
I've got a business bank account as well, never wanted a card for that but maybe I have less expenses.  If you want a card for that and nothing else works, maybe get a revolut card.  It's a pre paid debit card.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:15 PM »
Why not get a joint account with your UK husband and get a credit card associated with that?  I did it through HSBC without any fuss and I'm not on any electoral roll.

When we arrived back in England in 2016 we had a joint HSBC account and although they were prepared to issue a credit card to me my wife had not established a credit history so they added her to my credit card and said that if she wanted one in her own name that within 6 months she should have enough credit history built up to apply for one.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab