Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: More info about driving in UK?  (Read 3271 times)

• Liked: 716
Re: More info about driving in UK?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »
I guess it will depend on whether the UK citizen held a UK licence before moving to the US or not.

In durhamlad's son's case, he was only a child when he moved to the US so he did not learn to drive in the UK. However, if sking206561 or their spouse is a UK citizen and moved to the US as an adult who held a UK licence, then if they still have a valid UK licence, they shouldn't need to do anything, or if they have a UK photocard licence that has expired, they may just be able to apply for a renewal of their UK licence. However, if it has been expired for more than 2 years, it looks like they may need to retake the driving tests.

See:
http://www.yourdrivinglicence.co.uk/what-happens-if-driving-licence-has-expired.html
and
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
I think sking was asking if you could return to the UK and drive on your US licence for up to 12 months. I believe the answer is yes, regardless of whether or not you held a valid UK licence in the past.  If you don't have your UK licence in hand then it will be very difficult to hire a car or get car insurance but if you hold a current US licence then no problem (I've done this many times myself in the past when visiting the UK while living in the USA).
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 3589
Re: More info about driving in UK?
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
I think sking was asking if you could return to the UK and drive on your US licence for up to 12 months. I believe the answer is yes, regardless of whether or not you held a valid UK licence in the past.  If you don't have your UK licence in hand then it will be very difficult to hire a car or get car insurance but if you hold a current US licence then no problem (I've done this many times myself in the past when visiting the UK while living in the USA).

Ah, yes, sorry. I was thinking it was in relation to passing the tests, rather than the 12 months of driving. But yes, if you hold a US licence, regardless of your nationality, you can drive for up to 12 months from arriving in the UK.

Sponsored Links