Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello, new here....  (Read 747 times)

• Wishing I was in the UK now!
  • Liked: 0
Hello, new here....
« on: May 31, 2003, 06:06:45 AM »
Hello all, not really sure how to use this website, I did managed to get registered though!!!  I looked in chat, and no one was there, such a shame.  

I am in Oregon, USA getting ready to move to the UK to be with my fiance'.  I am in the middle of getting my paperwork for the visa, and trying to find out some information on shipping.  If any one has some information on shipping, boxes not furniture, it would be helpful.

Thanks and cheers!

• Liked: 1
Re: Hello, new here....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 06:42:34 PM »
Hi there!  I see you have already posted on the shipping so hopefully someone will be able to help you on that front.  I have yet to go through that so cannot offer advice. You can check out shipping stuff at:

http://www.uk-yankee.com/shipping.php

I can tell you that sometimes on Tuesday afternoons there are people in the chat.  I usually try and check in at that time as well.  It was down for a while and so I guess peeps just dwindled off.

Anyway, you have already basically figured out how to use the forum.  Post and check back to see when you have replies.  The people on here are great and very helpful. :)

If you have a question or just want to complain this is the place.

I hope you enjoy the board!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2003, 06:44:31 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 09:02:31 PM »
Welcome to UKY!  One good piece of advice I can give you from my experience is if you're planning on moving your furniture, keep in mind that many homes in England are much smaller then in the US, that includes doorways!  My fiance and I shipped our sofa and loveseat to the UK and it wouldn't fit through the door!  There really is no way to get it in the house!  We're just renting right now and plan to buy a home in Nov. so I'm hoping we'll find a place with french doors so we can bring the furniture in that way!  Right now we're storing that stuff in the garage and using FH's old sofa that he had purchased originally in the UK a few years ago.

Good luck!

Sandy
« Last Edit: June 01, 2003, 09:05:46 PM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Wishing I was in the UK now!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 08:23:46 AM »
Thank you for your warm welcome!!  ;D

My fiance and I have almost all the necessary paperwork together for the visa's, hopefully all together and off to Fed Ex next week!  I hope to be moving this August, so fingers crossed that all it goes through in a timely manner.  Speaking of which has anyone experienced how long a fiance visa takes to get via mail?  I know that I will fed ex to them, and I submit extra funds for them to fed ex it back, so no waiting on the mail system.  But if anyone has experieced mailing the fiance visa, and had a time frame that would be great!  Of course I got a typical answer when I phoned, 7days to a couple weeks. ???

I am anxious to already get started on things to get the move in progress, but I am waiting till I have the visa's in my hand.  So much to do, yet can't do much of it....of course I imagine you all know that feeling well.

Again, everyone have a great day!  :D

Vonny

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 10:35:25 AM »
Hello Soon,

Welcome to the board.  As far as how long the visa takes I have no idea.  Sorry.  Depends upon how busy they are.  On shipping I would suggest you place everything in trash bags and try and get it as water tight as you can then box it up.  That was recomended to me because sometimes when they are placed into the containers water can seep in.  Most stuff is shipped via boats.  

Good luck in your move.  Wishing all the best on your new stage in life.  
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

• Bo Selecta!!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 05:08:39 AM »
Hello,

Welcome to the boards! :)
...We're not bad people.;D

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 06:07:57 AM »
Just wanted to say Hello & welcome  [smiley=sunny.gif]
Laugh, Love & Be Happy ...life is to short for anything else..

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab