Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Expunged Record: Do I Need to Disclose on the application?  (Read 752 times)

• Liked: 18
Expunged Record: Do I Need to Disclose on the application?
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
Hey guys,

I want to be as transparent as possible... I have a very minor misdemeanor expunged on my record. I've just paid for a background check, and I have no record showing. I'm still concerned that this may affect my application. Should I still disclose it with the reviewers?

Thank you!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Expunged Record: Do I Need to Disclose on the application?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:19:36 PM »
Yes, you should declare it. If you don’t, you could be accused of deception which in itself carries a 10 year ban.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:31:51 PM »
Yes, you should declare it. If you don’t, you could be accused of deception which in itself carries a 10 year ban.

Thanks larrabee! How should I go about declaring it? Should I just mention it in the "comments" section of the Appendix VAF4a application, or should I provide documentation saying it's expunged?

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »
Thanks larrabee! How should I go about declaring it? Should I just mention it in the "comments" section of the Appendix VAF4a application, or should I provide documentation saying it's expunged?

Declare it at the appropriate question on the form then you can explain in your letter or the any other info section. I would provide the documentation saying it’s expunged, yes.

• Liked: 3595
Expunged Record: Do I Need to Disclose on the application?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »

There should be a section on the online application form that asks you to declare any criminal convictions, giving dates and details.

You should also provide all documentation you have regarding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »
There should be a section on the online application form that asks you to declare any criminal convictions, giving dates and details.

You should also provide all documentation you have regarding it.

Thank you larrabee and ksand24! Now my next (and final) question.... Do you think that they would want to deny my spouse visa application because I have an expungement? Or do you think if I provide them with appropriate paperwork showing evidence of the expungement as well as the steps that I took in order to get it expunged would be enough? I just don't want them to deny our application based off something silly that happened 5 years ago!

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:14:02 PM »
Don’t worry, you will be fine.  :)

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:36:54 PM »
Thank you larrabee and ksand24! Now my next (and final) question.... Do you think that they would want to deny my spouse visa application because I have an expungement? Or do you think if I provide them with appropriate paperwork showing evidence of the expungement as well as the steps that I took in order to get it expunged would be enough? I just don't want them to deny our application based off something silly that happened 5 years ago!

Nope, it shouldn't affect your application, especially as it was expunged and also because it happened 5 years ago. The fact that it was expunged and no longer shows on your record will be a good thing.

The only ways in which it could have affected your application are if it was:
- a criminal conviction resulting in a non-custodial sentence, and it happened within the last 12 months
- a criminal conviction resulting in a prison sentence of less than 12 months, and the sentence ended less than 5 years ago

The reason for disclosing it is just to show you are being honest and that you are not trying to hide anything.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:33:23 PM »
Geez, thank you both for the valuable information! You’ve both been a huge help in easing my worry with this stuff!

Sponsored Links