Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Redundancy blows  (Read 2127 times)

• Liked: 537
Redundancy blows
« on: January 16, 2018, 06:16:42 AM »
Even though I've been actively looking for a new role anyway, having your job (entire department) made redundant is rough.

And such a lovely thing to come back to after a weeks holiday in London (one of the most expensive places on earth).

I simply don't want to go to work because what's the point?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:17:58 AM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 533
Re: Redundancy blows
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:34:54 AM »
And such a lovely thing to come back to after a weeks holiday in London (one of the most expensive places on earth).

In a nutshell, never trust management.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:02:06 AM »
So sorry lyonaria.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:51:08 AM »
Big hugs, that totally blows.

Do you have to go during the consultancy period (or whatever it's called)?  Sometimes you don't have to go - but they still pay you!

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »
They're saying they haven't fully decided who is being made redundant. What a crock of sh*t. They've signed with an agency and it starts Feb 1.

Just like they didn't know how long I've worked here in a private meeting with me after my holiday. The company is only 25 people...  ::)

I am so happy for my interview on Friday. I hope it's a good company. They seemed really keen.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 09:20:47 AM »
Fingers crossed for Friday!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »
Yeah, good luck!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »
They're saying they haven't fully decided who is being made redundant. What a crock of sh*t. They've signed with an agency and it starts Feb 1.

Just like they didn't know how long I've worked here in a private meeting with me after my holiday. The company is only 25 people...  ::)

I am so happy for my interview on Friday. I hope it's a good company. They seemed really keen.
Good luck with the interview!

I know redundancy laws are different here, but if you've been there long enough for a severance it can sometimes be worth it to stay until your last day and arrange the new job to start after it. Most companies hiring are willing to work with you on start date if it's not months away.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
Lyonaria, I'm so sorry.   Hopefully the interview goes well for you!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 10:36:39 AM »
Good luck with the interview!

I know redundancy laws are different here, but if you've been there long enough for a severance it can sometimes be worth it to stay until your last day and arrange the new job to start after it. Most companies hiring are willing to work with you on start date if it's not months away.

To be eligible for statutory redundancy pay you have to work with your employer for 2 years here in the UK. No one on our team has been with them that long. Over 25 people have left this company since I started in Oct. 2016 when about 38 people worked here....

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 10:39:25 AM »
That sucks, Lyonaria.  I had a similar thing happen to me, even down to the "we don't know who's going to stay ".   Here's what I learned :
You are right to identify the "we are going to keep some people, we just don't know who" as BS.  This is only to convince everyone to keep working during the consultancy period  in some sort of competition to keep your job.  It's a sucker's game, you don't want a job in such a failing company  anyway.  Stop working and start finding a new job. 

Double check the legalities, but the law says you can use company time and resources to find a new job.  You can also take as much time as you need to attend interviews.  Do all of these as much as possible.  Of course, the company is going to pretend that all those laws are just lip service and "we've still got plenty of work to do and if you keep working really hard you may keep your job and you wouldn't let your colleagues down who are still working hard....".  All of that is BS.  You owe this company nothing and if you think they will do any more for you than the bare minimum, you are wrong. 

Also, I went on to find a much better job and you will too. 

• Liked: 957
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 10:45:07 AM »
To be eligible for statutory redundancy pay you have to work with your employer for 2 years here in the UK. No one on our team has been with them that long. Over 25 people have left this company since I started in Oct. 2016 when about 38 people worked here....
Wow! Definitely time to jump ship. Jim is right... Use your time wisely and take advantage of the consultancy period. I genuinely hope you land on your feet in a much better role!

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
That sucks, Lyonaria.  I had a similar thing happen to me, even down to the "we don't know who's going to stay ".   Here's what I learned :
You are right to identify the "we are going to keep some people, we just don't know who" as BS.  This is only to convince everyone to keep working during the consultancy period  in some sort of competition to keep your job.  It's a sucker's game, you don't want a job in such a failing company  anyway.  Stop working and start finding a new job. 

Double check the legalities, but the law says you can use company time and resources to find a new job.  You can also take as much time as you need to attend interviews.  Do all of these as much as possible.  Of course, the company is going to pretend that all those laws are just lip service and "we've still got plenty of work to do and if you keep working really hard you may keep your job and you wouldn't let your colleagues down who are still working hard....".  All of that is BS.  You owe this company nothing and if you think they will do any more for you than the bare minimum, you are wrong. 

Also, I went on to find a much better job and you will too.

Sadly, none of us are over 2 years which is the requirement to get anything here. Such a pain.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 10:56:24 AM »
The company I worked at that made me redundant was completely clueless.  Management were absolutely incompetent.  During the consultation period, this lady started showing up, hanging out and going to the pub with us.  (redundancy = lots of long pub lunches)

We all wondered who she was since nobody knew her.  It turns out that she had been hired, given a laptop and company car, and then immediately went on maternity leave.  She didn't even sign a contract cause that would be too organised for these muppets.  They apparently forgot about her as nobody ever asked her to come back after a year.  With no contract, she just figured they had an exceptionally liberal maternity policy.  She only came back to be made redundant and give back her car.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 10:59:26 AM »
Sadly, none of us are over 2 years which is the requirement to get anything here. Such a pain.

You may not get redundancy pay, but the legalities of the consultation period apply to everyone at risk. 
IANAL, just a dude on the Internet.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab