Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need a recommendation for a mixer  (Read 1065 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Need a recommendation for a mixer
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »
You can do a lot in a bread machine, I had one for quite a few years for GF baking because I lacked a stand mixer. I'm not sure about pasta though because that's one you need to feel/not over mix, but I'm guessing some machines probably have a pasta setting.

I've been following this thread because I'd love to have a stand mixer. I don't see the point in a bread machine when I have an oven, and the mixer would cover most of my needs. My husband actually liked the gluten free bread I made, so I have a feeling I may be doing more baking when we have a proper kitchen!

I haven't found a pre-made GF bread I'm not allergic to yet.. Fingers crossed I can though, I had a stomach bug and all I wanted were glutino crackers and trader joe's bread, and of course had neither. Nairns oat crackers don't compare. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
You can do a lot in a bread machine, I had one for quite a few years for GF baking because I lacked a stand mixer. I'm not sure about pasta though because that's one you need to feel/not over mix, but I'm guessing some machines probably have a pasta setting.

I've been following this thread because I'd love to have a stand mixer. I don't see the point in a bread machine when I have an oven, and the mixer would cover most of my needs. My husband actually liked the gluten free bread I made, so I have a feeling I may be doing more baking when we have a proper kitchen!

I haven't found a pre-made GF bread I'm not allergic to yet.. Fingers crossed I can though, I had a stomach bug and all I wanted were glutino crackers and trader joe's bread, and of course had neither. Nairns oat crackers don't compare. :(

Is it trial and error for the gf bread or will something in the label give it away?  My husband's favorite is the M&S brown seeded loaf.  He was in love with Sainsbury's fresh loafs for awhile there (and I know you are going to be right next to a Sainsburys).  He definitely loves them but is back on the M&S bread now.

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 02:17:07 PM »
Is it trial and error for the gf bread or will something in the label give it away?  My husband's favorite is the M&S brown seeded loaf.  He was in love with Sainsbury's fresh loafs for awhile there (and I know you are going to be right next to a Sainsburys).  He definitely loves them but is back on the M&S bread now.
I think it's the emulsifier they use that has made me allergic to the ones I've tried so far but it's mostly trial and error, as I don't react to allergy tests so I just have to log food and look for patterns. We don't have an M&S anywhere near me atm so I haven't been able to try that. :( I'm going home in 2 weeks so I'll be loading up my suitcase with favorites that I can't get here & shampoo/conditioner. (I tried faith in Nature fragrance free shampoo and it literally burned my scalp/ears, but my husband can at least use it) *sigh*

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »
I can't say I share your enthusiasm for tomatoes when mushrooms are so much better.
I will share your love of home made whipped cream which I make in our food processor.  Even then, I am under constant pressure from those in the family who prefer squirty whip cream from a can.

Tomatoes are the best fruit food!  I'm still working on mushrooms.  I've determined that I do like mushroom flavour, but not their texture.  So we made mushroom ravioli to test this, and it was amazing because the mushrooms were all pulverized for the filling.  I think when we have an oven, we'll try beef wellington.

I have never bought a can of squirty cream in my life.  I've had it, of course... it's put on desserts and "coffees" when you go out.  But it's never been in my house.  I don't mind it.  I just have never gone out of my way to get it.

Hrm... this has actually made me think maybe a bread machine is a good idea for us... we don't have an oven.  But we don't really have space for a bread machine, either.  I think I'll just wait 'til we get a kitchen, and we'll skip the breadmaker and I'll get a quality stand mixer (Kitchenaid or Kenwood).  I want something with a strong enough motor to do all the things I can't do painlessly.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 03:00:09 PM »
I adore my bread machine. Because waking up to overnight warm bread is great. 
Yeah, superfluous, but I like kitchen gadgets!

I can't see why the dough setting in a bread machine wouldn't work for fresh pasta.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 03:01:34 PM »
Tomatoes are the best fruit food!  I'm still working on mushrooms.  I've determined that I do like mushroom flavour, but not their texture.  So we made mushroom ravioli to test this, and it was amazing because the mushrooms were all pulverized for the filling.  I think when we have an oven, we'll try beef wellington.

I have never bought a can of squirty cream in my life.  I've had it, of course... it's put on desserts and "coffees" when you go out.  But it's never been in my house.  I don't mind it.  I just have never gone out of my way to get it.

Hrm... this has actually made me think maybe a bread machine is a good idea for us... we don't have an oven.  But we don't really have space for a bread machine, either.  I think I'll just wait 'til we get a kitchen, and we'll skip the breadmaker and I'll get a quality stand mixer (Kitchenaid or Kenwood).  I want something with a strong enough motor to do all the things I can't do painlessly.
I have a feeling your pizza oven would make some damn tasty bread. ;) wood fired goodness. I miss wheat at times like this, dreaming of crusty on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside rolls.

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 03:23:33 PM »
I adore my bread machine. Because waking up to overnight warm bread is great. 
Yeah, superfluous, but I like kitchen gadgets!

I can't see why the dough setting in a bread machine wouldn't work for fresh pasta.

My concern is the lower moisture content, which means a stiffer dough.  I wouldn't want the machine to break itself trying to knead the dough.  I don't know how strong they are.  I have the same concern with a stand mixer, too.  If they can handle it, my hands would be grateful.  But I wouldn't want them to break trying.

I have a feeling your pizza oven would make some damn tasty bread. ;) wood fired goodness. I miss wheat at times like this, dreaming of crusty on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside rolls.

Ohmigosh, I have been wanting to try this since the oven was delivered.  It's just been really rotten weather, and I can't predict when it'll be nice so I can have the dough ready to go in.  The first time I made pizza dough, we ended up freezing it for about a month before the weather looked promising enough to let it defrost and make pizzas.  But we're going to build a covered patio/outdoor kitchen space, and then we can cook in any weather.  And it's going to be spring soon, so that'll help a lot.  Yay!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »
I think it's the emulsifier they use that has made me allergic to the ones I've tried so far but it's mostly trial and error, as I don't react to allergy tests so I just have to log food and look for patterns. We don't have an M&S anywhere near me atm so I haven't been able to try that. :( I'm going home in 2 weeks so I'll be loading up my suitcase with favorites that I can't get here & shampoo/conditioner. (I tried faith in Nature fragrance free shampoo and it literally burned my scalp/ears, but my husband can at least use it) *sigh*

Just looked and the M&S loaf has Emulsifier E145 (I think that's the right combo) in it.

Hopefully the Sainsbury bread doesn't.  The first time my husband had it he had made a sandwich for lunch to take to work.  He called me in a panic to check the packaging because he thought it couldn't be gluten free.  LOL!  Tastes like real bread apparently.

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 05:12:36 PM »
Just looked and the M&S loaf has Emulsifier E145 (I think that's the right combo) in it.

Hopefully the Sainsbury bread doesn't.  The first time my husband had it he had made a sandwich for lunch to take to work.  He called me in a panic to check the packaging because he thought it couldn't be gluten free.  LOL!  Tastes like real bread apparently.
E415 is ok, its the 460 range I start running into trouble. I basically have to carry around a reference sheet cuz I'm apparently allergic to benzoates too. I remember a few years back on my first trip here buying a loaf at the sainsburys near my hotel and being shocked at how much like real bread it was! The buns they have at Byron Burger (I think) were also shockingly good. Sometimes I deal with mild itchiness to not care about what I'm eating and enjoy good food, as long as its not something I have every day! If anything became anaphylaxis I would have to be more careful and sesame and avocado were close, so those are the only 2 besides wheat I'm crazy careful about.

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 05:17:51 PM »
E415 is ok, its the 460 range I start running into trouble. I basically have to carry around a reference sheet cuz I'm apparently allergic to benzoates too. I remember a few years back on my first trip here buying a loaf at the sainsburys near my hotel and being shocked at how much like real bread it was! The buns they have at Byron Burger (I think) were also shockingly good. Sometimes I deal with mild itchiness to not care about what I'm eating and enjoy good food, as long as its not something I have every day! If anything became anaphylaxis I would have to be more careful and sesame and avocado were close, so those are the only 2 besides wheat I'm crazy careful about.

Are you allergic to actual sesame and avocado, or just some products that are sesame or avocado flavoured that contain something you're allergic to?  I guess I'm asking if you can slice up a fresh avocado and eat it and be okay.

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 05:33:39 PM »
Are you allergic to actual sesame and avocado, or just some products that are sesame or avocado flavoured that contain something you're allergic to?  I guess I'm asking if you can slice up a fresh avocado and eat it and be okay.
Totally allergic to the food for both :( you can slice and eat and I'll be fine, it's not airborne, but if I eat it there'll be swollen lips and tongue and hives. Sesame happened after eating too much hummus, and avocado after a short stint where I had it almost every day for 2 weeks cuz it was on sale. I basically have to rotate food or I end up with new allergies. I'm mildly allergic to almonds from too much almond milk & baked goods with them. :(

Sponsored Links