Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Milk Challenge Day!!  (Read 4112 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Milk Challenge Day!!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 01:36:28 PM »
SO PLEASED YOU GOT POSITIVE RESULTS! :D (well..I guess negative results in the sense that she's negative for the allergy?)

YAY! :D
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 958
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 02:31:46 PM »
Cross contamination is a big deal.  We all eat gluten free pasta as it tastes just fine.  Expensive, yeah, but easier having one pot of pasta.

We have separate toasters, (fake) butter, jam, peanut butter, etc.  Anything you might dip your knife into before spreading we own two of.  We always cook the gluten free item at the top of the oven and the gluten item below (so no gluten can drop onto the gluten free one).   It's really easy for us as we have our system in place.  I realise how odd we are when we have people over.  lol!   ;D

For example if we go to a restaurant and the chips are gluten free but fried in a fryer that also fries gluten containing items, he cannot eat the chips.
Yeah cross contamination killed me at my in laws. I didn't realise they were cutting meat after it cooked on the same cutting board they use for wheat bread until the last day of our visit and suddenly the reason for feeling so unwell became very apparent, as I'd been overseeing all the prep. I just don't let wheat in my house because it's so much easier that way. We eat whole foods when I'm cooking anyways ;)

So glad your daughter passed this! Cheese is the best ever and I know you miss it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 116
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 04:51:03 PM »
Oh man, I only have a shellfish allergy but cross contamination (esp with cooking oil) is the worst.  I got a horrible reaction to it a couple summers ago.  So mad that I didn't even get to eat the shellfish that gave me a reaction.

So happy for the results KF!! That must be a huge relief.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 111
Milk Challenge Day!!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 06:48:47 PM »
KFDancer--congratulations on the milk test!

Not a single person in my family (I have 72 first cousins so that's a feat!) has Coeliac's but four people in my husband's family do. My sister-in-law and her children are visiting us in Houston next year. To be honest, I'm a bit annoyed and I do feel horrible about it because it must be very hard on my SIL but I've just learned I'll have to purchase new kitchen utensils, pots and pans and start learning how to cook a gluten-free diet for everyone for her entire visit. I can't trust places in Houston to not have cross-contamination so I'll be cook for 14 long days. I guess it could be worse, my other SIL is a vegan Coeliac 🤦🏻‍♀️

Edit: Crap! It's actually this year! Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:50:00 PM by lorenausuk »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »
KFDancer--congratulations on the milk test!

Not a single person in my family (I have 72 first cousins so that's a feat!) has Coeliac's but four people in my husband's family do. My sister-in-law and her children are visiting us in Houston next year. To be honest, I'm a bit annoyed and I do feel horrible about it because it must be very hard on my SIL but I've just learned I'll have to purchase new kitchen utensils, pots and pans and start learning how to cook a gluten-free diet for everyone for her entire visit. I can't trust places in Houston to not have cross-contamination so I'll be cook for 14 long days. I guess it could be worse, my other SIL is a vegan Coeliac 🤦🏻‍♀️

Edit: Crap! It's actually this year! Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use all the same pots, pans, and utensils.  And our cutting boards are plastic so we use those too.  As long as they are clean, they will be safe.  You shouldn't need to buy new stuff.  Honestly, let them do what they need to do to feel it's "safe" but don't stress.

Yeah, I had to say something to my mom.  She was annoyed at us and our diets.  I had to say, "This is our reality.  We did not choose this.  Don't let it affect you."  She's been really good ever since.

But yeah...  we don't eat out.  It's just not worth the hassle of trying to order and trying to trust them!  Eating out is supposed to remove stress.

I'd sign up for 14 days of your home cooking though!!!  I've drooled a lot at your menu choices!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »
There are a lot of good websites which help people to say where to eat out if you have allergies  and coeliac  -  Our member, camoscato's wife is a founder of one, for example: https://allergytravels.com/  and there are many others.
My sister's coeliac and other food allergies (shellfish and tree nuts) are such that cross contamination is a problem for her, but she's visited several times here and we've found safe places to eat out, off the websites she uses with good recommendations on cross contamination, special areas in the kitchens, etc.  She's had great luck in Canada and other states too with all of them.   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links