Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The other side of the Pond  (Read 1009 times)

• In one word brilliant; in two words not brilliant.
  • Liked: 0
The other side of the Pond
« on: May 31, 2003, 06:52:29 AM »
Just popped on to say "Hi! y'all!" from sunny Georgia.

My wife is vnicepeeps and I hope she does not moderate me too much! :D

I look forward to contributing on various topics of interest having lived in England, Wales, Scotland and the USA.

Keeping my intro short and sweet.

Catch you later!
"Always look on the bright side of life."

Re: The other side of the Pond
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 09:35:07 PM »
Welcome to the site miles, lotsa nice peeps here including your wife...........now........sit back while I pick your brain  ;D

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 09:39:36 PM »
BTW.......I knew she was a newly appointed moderator but she also got promoted to 5-star general I see.......Oh Dear!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 01:05:47 AM »
;D It's al in a day's work.  Or lack there of since I spend too much time dallying on here!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 02:42:37 PM »
Lol welcome Miles!  You have the best name (other than David hehehe), but I may be biased being a Miles Naismith/Vorkosigan fan.  ;D

hehehe
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 04:34:01 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome.
Feel free to pick my brain all you want- the pickings may be meagre but I will always try my best.
I was wondering if you were a loyal to the Celts in general or to Glasgow Celtic "the Hoops"/ "the Bhuoys" or even the Boston Celtics in particular?
I must confess to missing the football/sports chat at the local pub. There are always so many different opinions and everyone defends their corner ferociously. Then you have another beer and move on.
I can hold my own on some US sports too but basketball is not one of them. I must confess that the scoring always looks too easy to me...perhaps they should move the basket another 2ft higher in this age of giants and athletes who jump so well?
As for my name Miles came from Miles Davis the jazz musician as my Dad was a double bass player in a band in the 50 and 60s. He even named his cat Theolonius Monk!!! ;D
That's it for now.
I'm going to check out what some other peeps have to say.

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 07:36:32 AM »
Hi Miles,

Welcome to UKY!  vnicepeeps and I discovered we're almost neighbors (I'm in Kennesaw).  I'm moving over to the UK this month to join my English fiance, Keith.  

How are you liking things in the US? Are you looking forward to moving back?

Glad you decided to join us and look forward to your posts!

-Sandy
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 01:48:57 PM »
Ahhhhh......the story behind the name. Being an avid collector of long sleeved tee shirts, a year or so ago I found myself in this quaint little Irish shop in Rockport Mass where I purchased a shirt that had a great celtic knot and the words celtictothecore stenciled on it. Being Irish American in Boston and a bartender to boot I thought, right....thats a great conversation piece and bought it. The day I signed onto this site my wife had just done the laundry and lo and behold, drip drying in front of me was my shirt, so when prompted for a user name I thought "There ya go....CelticToTheCore." Sort of like Kevin Spacey reading the bottom of his coffee cup in the Usual Suspects  ;D .......Anyway.....always been a Boston Celtic fan, a Glasgow Celtic fan for the last twenty years or so ( although I keep that a secret when I find myself in a Rangers club hoisting a pint) and one of 5 in a typical Boston Irish Catholic family so I guess it fits  ;D !

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 02:40:45 PM »
Then again I,m a HUGE fan of Roy Keane, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Michael Owen, Thierry Henry and years ago Ally McCoist when he was with Rangers and this year found myself actually rooting for Arsenal to win the Premiership so I've yet to swear my alliegance to any particular English club ,besides when my wife and I go home I find myself surrounded by Leeds, Chelsea and Rangers fans. I try to resist jumping on the Man U bandwagon as great as they are only because Beckham drives me up a wall with Posh and the whole hair thing but I'll give him his due....nobody makes the ball move like him on a free kick. You got a team that you support?

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2003, 07:00:48 AM »
I used to work near Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park so I had many picnics there. Great view of Atlanta on a sunny day.
We are looking to return in the next couple of years. I am quite accustomed to life in the US now but it did take some time.
Moving on to soccer my Mom is from Glasgow and she actually supports little (when compared to the giants of Celtic and Rangers) Partick Thistle.
As for myself I suppport Liverpool FC. We won the Worthington Cup trophy this season with a victory over Man Utd but our Premier League showing left a bit to be desired.
Michael Owen needs a consistent strike partner and Cisse has expressed interest in joining Liverpool next season.
If we are ever up in Boston we will have to check out your bar....pint of Guinness perhaps?  :D

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2003, 04:15:42 PM »
miles if youre ever up this way I'd gladly buy you and your significant other a Guinness ( How'd ya know thats my poison? 8) )

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2003, 04:21:37 PM »
Funny you mentioning your dad naming you after Miles Davis, my brother-in-law who plays in a band out of Weymouth just had his son christened this past week-end and when I asked him the significance of naming his son Miles, I got the same answer  8)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2003, 06:48:35 PM »
Hello Miles, it is nice to meet you...  I have spoken to your wife a few times...  nice lady...  I am sure you will enjoy the many forums on here...  and definitely check out the spouse house...

Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

Sponsored Links