Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NHS fee to double  (Read 7284 times)

• Liked: 4985

• Liked: 39
Re: NHS fee to double
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
Yup saw that too ... just glad we have 2 years to save for it now lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

UK born and bred, Bringing my partner here from US
Online Fiancé application: 05/04/17
Biometrics appointment: 12/04/17
Package sent to Sheffield: 12/04/17
Acknowledgement Email: 21/4/17
Decision E-mail: 12/06/17
Visa received: 14/06/17
Married: 11/08/17
FLR(M) granted: 11/1/2018
FLR(M) granted: 05/08/2020

• Liked: 424
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:26:14 AM »
Ouch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/05/charges-migrants-use-nhs-will-double-raise-millions-health-service/
Seriously?! So we pay into it as workers and then double for each subsequent visa. Nice.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 10
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:29:39 AM »
Can't say I'm surprised. Everyone's shouting for an NHS tax and instead of being the government to increase tax and feel the wrath of citizens (I'd happily pay an NHS tax over this) they've chosen the easy way out and taxed those who have no choice.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »

So they keep continuing this crap rhetoric that migrants are the reason for the NHS strain and making it even more challenging for people to join family. Between that and neighbors reporting disabled people as benefits fraudsters just for existing and occasionally doing things with friends/family I'm already beyond upset with the tone of life here. I honestly have to stop reading the news. (the US is no better atm with people proud they reported their undocumented classmates and neighbours... Its disgusting)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 342
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 02:18:49 PM »
Seriously?! So we pay into it as workers and then double for each subsequent visa. Nice.

It was either this IHS the UK has or a do what the other countries do to protect their national health service for their citizens and bring in medicals that must be passed. If their medical shows they are likely to be a burden on that county's health service, they are refused, e.g. those with exisiting conditions, overweight, mental health problems ect. Great system for those immigrants that are fit and healthly, but what about those that don't pass that medical?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:31:05 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 02:33:30 PM »
Sirius, I get what you are saying - BUT - immigration is not what is bringing down the NHS.  We know that migrant use of the NHS is actually a very small percentage of the cost.

Illegal use of the NHS is costing huge money.  And they should be cracking down on that.  Not once, during either of my pregnancies, did anyone ask to see that I had legal documentation to be using the NHS at all.  They should have checked my documents.

I get that immigrants are an easy target.  No native British citizen is going to contest that immigrants should be allowed exclusive use of the NHS.  And no voting rights mean we are silenced. 

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 04:30:18 PM »
Sirius, I get what you are saying - BUT - immigration is not what is bringing down the NHS.  We know that migrant use of the NHS is actually a very small percentage of the cost.

British citizenship (born or naturalised) does not give bill free use of the NHS. The NHS was set up a long time ago, to be financed by paying all your working taxes to the UK, but no checks are made on that.

Under the NHS changes that saw this IHS come in, we saw health care paid for by the UK linked to those in receipt of the UK state pension for the first time. Suddenly some of those who had been having their medical care paid for by the UK taxpayers under the S1 system as they had British citizenship, found that had now ended in 2015 and they now needed insurance to pay their own medical bills.

At the same time, we also saw the end of piggybacking a UK state pension from a spouse and now a UK state pension is based solely on your own contributions.

Illegal use of the NHS is costing huge money.  And they should be cracking down on that.  Not once, during either of my pregnancies, did anyone ask to see that I had legal documentation to be using the NHS at all.  They should have checked my documents.

The NHS has been very easy to abuse and not just by foreign nationals.  As for illegal use of the NHS, NHS records are just some of the records that are used by the Home Office to locate overstayers/illegals and deport them, refuse visas because of unpaid NHS bills etc.

They didn't need to see your documents for your first birth, they should have  used the HMRC Real Time system that was brought in to find fraudsters and seen that you were working in the UK. For the second birth, the Immigration Act 2014 was in and UKVI would have marked the NHS SPINE system with a green banner on your name to ensure you are not billed.

That 2014 law means that the NHS trusts are now fined if their staff are too lazy to check and bill, as we have seen in the past. This means that NHS trust now lose out twice if their staff are too lazy. e.g. not only do their budget have to fund the cost of that treatment that they should have billed for as they are now fined too. If they check, they either claimed that money back for the cost of that treatment from all the IHS payments held in a central fund, or they bill that person and add 50% if there is no insurance to pay and their trust keeps all that money.

I get that immigrants are an easy target.  No native British citizen is going to contest that immigrants should be allowed exclusive use of the NHS.  And no voting rights mean we are silenced.

The IHS is about contributing something before the NHS is used  and we didn't get to vote on that system either. It was what the MPs and Lords chose for the NHS, instead of the having to pass a medical that other countries require for a visa. However that's not to say that it won't be medicals instead of the IHS at a later date, as UK laws allow parliament to change laws they don't like anymore.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 06:23:47 PM »
Is this meant to start in April? So typical that my visa is up for renewal in September and I'm already sweating it.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 06:37:45 PM »
Here it is on the government's site
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/health-charge-for-temporary-migrants-will-increase-to-400-a-year

Why do they say temporary migrants when it applies to everyone? Some of us will presumably get ilr and stay forever, presumably? Is it that there is no charge for ilr or something?

Even having expected this, it's a day ruiner to read about how the health charge we pay in addition to taxes still aren't enough to not be accused by government ministers of being a drain on the system.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 06:47:15 PM »
Why do they say temporary migrants when it applies to everyone? Some of us will presumably get ilr and stay forever, presumably? Is it that there is no charge for ilr or something?

Even having expected this, it's a day ruiner to read about how the health charge we pay in addition to taxes still aren't enough to not be accused by government ministers of being a drain on the system.

I wondered that too. It's a very misleading headline! And I would bet it's written that way on purpose. I wouldn't have read it as I wouldn't have thought it applied to me and been blindsided. (Well, if I wasn't up for ILR next). I could still get a not great thing in the future though.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 06:49:52 PM »
Why do they say temporary migrants when it applies to everyone? Some of us will presumably get ilr and stay forever, presumably?

Because while you have LLR (Limited Leave to Remain) you are in the UK as a temporary migrant, until you are granted settlement (ILR).

Is it that there is no charge for ilr or something?

Those residing in the the UK with ILR/British citizenship, have bill free use of the NHS. No IHS to pay.

What allows those with an LLR visa to use the NHS bill free (except for IVF treatment) is paying the IHS.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:18:11 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 424
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »
Because while you have LLR (Limited Leave to Remain) you are in the UK as a temporary migrant, until you are granted settlement (ILR).

Those residing in the the UK with ILR/British citizenship, have bill free use of the NHS. No IHS to pay.
I pay the fees for my visas, as well as taxes out of every single pay period. As do we all. I'm a burden on the NHS???? I Don't use it, and my citizen wife doesn't either.  I am NOT and have never been a burden, here or in the US.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »
I pay the fees for my visas, as well as taxes out of every single pay period. As do we all. I'm a burden on the NHS???? I Don't use it, and my citizen wife doesn't either.  I am NOT and have never been a burden, here or in the US.

Then you would have benefited if Parliament and the Lords had brought in medicals to pass for a visa, instead of the IHS that they decided on that allows people to have a visa even if they have exisiting health conditions.

Bill free use of the NHS, is for those with settlement (British citizen or ILR) who reside in the UK. The "N" part of the NHS is "national".

I've paid thousands in taxes to the UK as a high rate tax payer, for decades  and I can't remember the last time I used the NHS. I also have private insurance but before I had that, I have paid privately for things that were not covered on the NHS or because I wanted treatement on a certain day/within a certain timeframe for my family.  It's how the NHS works.

All countries have different ways their national health service works and differ for what it will cover bill free.
e.g.
In the Republic of Ireland you would pay into a government insurance based health system and pay private insurance for what isn't covered. A GP visit is 60E and A&E visit is 100E for all over age 5, unless their parents are very low income. No free presciptions but medicine is capped at 140E a month.
In Germany they have a dual government insurance and private insurance, but those who can afford the private insurance too get quicker access to a doctor etc as the doctors charge more for these. We know this as Merkel still hasn't managed to form a government since the elections last September and the SPD party, who she neeeds to form a coalition government with or there will have to be another election called, want to stop that dual system and replace it with a one insurance system for all.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:10:43 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links