Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NHS fee to double  (Read 7244 times)

• Liked: 424
Re: NHS fee to double
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »
I don't want to argue at all on this wonderful and helpful forum. Everyone has their own opinions. No system is ever perfect, it just is what it is and we all do the best we can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 77
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 01:35:32 PM »
Between that and neighbors reporting disabled people as benefits fraudsters just for existing and occasionally doing things with friends/family I'm already beyond upset with the tone of life here. I honestly have to stop reading the news. (the US is no better atm with people proud they reported their undocumented classmates and neighbours... Its disgusting)

Well if people are committing disability fraud, they SHOULD be reported. And if people are in a country illegally - not "undocumented" - they SHOULD be reported.

Those of us that do things legally and by the book already have enough hoops and costs associated with it. People that break the law and circumvent the process just make things harder for the lawful people trying to do the right thing.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Applied from Sin City, USA
Submitted online priority spouse visa Nov 2nd
Biometrics appointment completed Nov 6th
Package mailed to Sheffield Nov 6th
Received in Sheffield & e-mail received Nov 8th
Decision e-mail received Dec 5th
Approved or denied?    Approved!  Received Dec 7th

• Liked: 342
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
Well if people are committing disability fraud, they SHOULD be reported. And if people are in a country illegally - not "undocumented" - they SHOULD be reported.

Those of us that do things legally and by the book already have enough hoops and costs associated with it. People that break the law and circumvent the process just make things harder for the lawful people trying to do the right thing.

In the past, the laws favoured those who lied, over those who are honest, but now they don't.
e.g. In 2008 the then government decided to bring in medicals for claimants, instead of continuing the 'trusting people to be honest' on their disabled or too sick to work, benefit claims; law changes came in so that past visa appliction forms are now also being checked to look for those who were happy to use deception for a visa in the past and laws changed to remove these from the UK too now and ban them for at least 10 years.

Computer systems were brought in that can look for fraud, such as HMRC's Real Time Information system, the banks' National Hunter that the credit agencies operate for them;  government departments now sharing information etc

Between that and neighbors reporting disabled people as benefits fraudsters just for existing and occasionally doing things with friends/family I'm already beyond upset with the tone of life here.

It's likely their own family that is reporting them. Some of the videos used to convict benefit fraudsters, can only have come from family. The first the claimant knows about it is when the DWP call them in for an IUC (interview under Caution) but by then the DWP already have enough evidence to convict them for fraud. The interview is for their side of the story and to see if they continue to lie. They can bring a solicitor to that taped IUC.

There was upset when some claimants with a false disability claim, realised that other people can now see that their car has been provided for their disablity (via a firm called Mobility) as before this would not be known  to anyone. These cars, finaced by the taxpayers, are meant to be for those who can't get themselves over something like 20 paces, but this can be faked at their medical. Apparently the free Check a Car is Taxed online site, shows the car tax is exempt as they have a car from Mobilty and that only takes seconds to check.
https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:44:47 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 56
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »
I guess they still have to find another £130m to make up the gap the Big Red Bus said was going to be saved from Brexit then, huh.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 01:36:07 PM »
600 or 1200 pounds for 2 1/2 years of Medical/Dental/and Meds. Still cheap as chips compared to US coverage. I pay $256.00 every 2 weeks for just me. I will gladly pay the next surcharge of 1200 pounds with no whining involved. No $60 co-pay for each MD visit as here in the US.

Of course every country is struggling to give the population decent Healthcare. Yes, there is fraud, and loopholes that need to be addressed. In all fairness to the UK, they have managed to keep healthcare cost down.

Here in the US anything that is associated with Healthcare is marked up 300% or more. I have worked in Healthcare for 38 years. So, I have seen the changes, and the cost rise to unsustainable levels. If you are poor here, and unable to get decent Health care. You are more likely to have a much shorter life span, than someone who can afford insurance.

I for one, have no problems with the surcharge, and will gladly pay my share. So others can have a basic need, such as Healthcare.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 01:47:13 PM »

Illegal use of the NHS is costing huge money. 

The Immigration Act 2014 was brought in to stop that NHS abuse (and a lot of other abuse too). Catching those EEA citizens and non-EEA citiezens who enter under EU rules and then steal from the NHS, has not been easy

It has been  too easy for these, when they should have declared that they had to pay to use the NHS. i.e. continuing to use the NHS when their EEA sponsor was not being a qualified person and their EU RC became invalid; nipping across to use the NHS as they can’t afford to pay for that treatment in their own EEA country; getting a UK EHIC and then use that back in their own country to avoid buying health insurance as their country then bills the UK.

At least on  Brexit, these having to register if they want to be offered a chance to stay in the UK, will mean they will now be brought in line with other foreign nationals in the UK.  UKVI now has a banner system on the patient's name on the NHS SPINE system, to let the NHS know who to bill: green banner = don't bill: red banner = bill; no banner = phone UKVI.

Plus using fraud or abuse on their registration to apply to remain in the UK, will carry a 10 year ban from the UK. The law was changed last month so that there is now a 10 year ban from the UK, whereas before it was only 10 years ban to the UK.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:49:52 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 01:48:59 PM »
600 or 1200 pounds for 2 1/2 years of Medical/Dental/and Meds. Still cheap as chips compared to US coverage. I pay $256.00 every 2 weeks for just me. I will gladly pay the next surcharge of 1200 pounds with no whining involved. No $60 co-pay for each MD visit as here in the US.

Of course every country is struggling to give the population decent Healthcare. Yes, there is fraud, and loopholes that need to be addressed. In all fairness to the UK, they have managed to keep healthcare cost down.

Here in the US anything that is associated with Healthcare is marked up 300% or more. I have worked in Healthcare for 38 years. So, I have seen the changes, and the cost rise to unsustainable levels. If you are poor here, and unable to get decent Health care. You are more likely to have a much shorter life span, than someone who can afford insurance.

I for one, have no problems with the surcharge, and will gladly pay my share. So others can have a basic need, such as Healthcare.

A few things on this:

We are in the UK, not the US.  So it's not completely fair to compare the two systems.  The US system is broken as well.  No doubt.  Just broken in a different way.

Wait until you are in the UK paying a huge tax rate and contributing to the NHS budget the same as all your colleagues (this will easily be more money out of your pocket than your current contributions).  Then pay the NHS surcharge on top - simply because you are a migrant.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »

If you look on the other immigration forums, most  think like you do. Others say it is not enough and should be a lot more.

Even some from here post on those other forums saying that, but they are not wanting to say that on here, to avoid posts fron those why think they should not have to pay.

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
Even some from here post on those other forums saying that, but they are not wanting to say that on here, to avoid posts fron those why think they should not have to pay.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Me! Me! Me!

I get the fee.  I really do.  BUT - the administrative costs to police must be more than what we are paying.  Plus it is picking a group that aren't *actually* the problem and making us pay more.   ;)   

But you know my thoughts.  I get on my soapbox about this frequently enough.   ;D

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 02:01:03 PM »
If you look on the other immigration forums, most  think like you do. Others say it is not enough and should be a lot more.

Two faced posters eh? Lol, name names

But on a serious note, I think that the current system that we go through for spouse visas is an overall net gain for the UK. People who come in are vetted, are forbidden from receiving public funds, you have to have substantial savings and/or the sponsor has to be working, and the process refreshes after 2.5 years.

None of us WANT to have to pay the fees or jump through the hoops, but it helps ensure that the people immigrating here aren't going to be leeches on society. Immigration should HELP the hosting country, not be a detriment.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »

Wait until you are in the UK paying a huge tax rate and contributing to the NHS budget the same as all your colleagues (this will easily be more money out of your pocket than your current contributions).  Then pay the NHS surcharge on top - simply because you are a migrant.

I think it varies a lot on a personal level.

In our case we were retired before we moved back and our income in $'s did not change at all and we are now paying HMRC taxes and can almost do a direct comparison although the big drop in the exchange rates has meant a much bigger income in £'s than it would have been in 2015 and earlier.  Even so the tax we are paying is less than $10k more than what we pay in the USA but we are saving between $10 and $15k / year in healthcare costs. In 2016 we were paying $10,272 / year in premiums and although we are both pretty fit, only one prescription (mine), we still needed some doctor visits and treatment for things like sciatica and tendinosis and our out of pocket costs in the 3 years before we left were close to $15k/year.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »
I think it varies a lot on a personal level.

In our case we were retired before we moved back and our income in $'s did not change at all and we are now paying HMRC taxes and can almost do a direct comparison although the big drop in the exchange rates has meant a much bigger income in £'s than it would have been in 2015 and earlier.  Even so the tax we are paying is less than $10k more than what we pay in the USA but we are saving between $10 and $15k / year in healthcare costs. In 2016 we were paying $10,272 / year in premiums and although we are both pretty fit, only one prescription (mine), we still needed some doctor visits and treatment for things like sciatica and tendinosis and our out of pocket costs in the 3 years before we left were close to $15k/year.

That is very true that it will depend on the person and their circumstances.

Mine are quite different in that I came here as a skills shortage occupation.  The UK wasn't really ever on my radar as where I wanted to be.  This job was supposed to be my stepping stone for my dream job.  What put a bad taste in my mouth was that the UK "needed" my occupation and skill set, yet I was having to take more money out of my pocket simply for not being from here.

I also had the luxury of having my health insurance covered 100% in the USA and no dependents.  So I saw no change in my pay due to healthcare.  I am also aware that I've been outside the USA for 8 years now and things have probably changed a LOT.  Though a friend just returned and she sent me her company's information.  And at her company (a small NGO) to cover a full family, the premium is only $125/month.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »
Two faced posters eh? Lol, name names

More likely they are too scared to post on this thread. ;D

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 02:54:57 PM »
More likely they are too scared to post on this thread. ;D

• Liked: 716
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 03:23:43 PM »
That is very true that it will depend on the person and their circumstances.

Mine are quite different in that I came here as a skills shortage occupation.  The UK wasn't really ever on my radar as where I wanted to be.  This job was supposed to be my stepping stone for my dream job.  What put a bad taste in my mouth was that the UK "needed" my occupation and skill set, yet I was having to take more money out of my pocket simply for not being from here.

I also had the luxury of having my health insurance covered 100% in the USA and no dependents.  So I saw no change in my pay due to healthcare.  I am also aware that I've been outside the USA for 8 years now and things have probably changed a LOT.  Though a friend just returned and she sent me her company's information.  And at her company (a small NGO) to cover a full family, the premium is only $125/month.

As you say it very much depends on what you had in the USA before moving back and if you were working and had good employee insurance then the extra taxes here are going to hurt.

When we retired in January 2010 (8 years ago at age 55) we were covered by my ex-employer's retiree healthcare plan and I opted for a more expensive PPO option as we planned to travel a lot. That Plan was $85/month with a $500 deductible, free diagnostic tests and $20 co-pay for doctor visits. 4 years later they decided that retirees should pay full price instead of the same rates as employees hence the tenfold increase in premiums plus a deductible of $1,500, $30 co-pay for doctor visits and 80% coverage of treatment. In 2014 I had 6 sessions with an in-network physical therapist, prescription from doctor, and my out of pocket costs were $861.  My wife here is currently seeing a physiotherapist, no referral from GP needed, and the sessions are £40 each.

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab