Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NHS fee to double  (Read 7278 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: NHS fee to double
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »
That's awful Nan.   :-\\\\

• Liked: 676
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »
You know, it's better now than it was several years ago.  It used to be that there was generally no Medi-cal for adults in California.  Unless you were severely disabled and on SSI  when you would then get Medicare (not the same thing as Medi-cal). Obamacare gave the individual states options to expanded coverage to  anyone who really needs it who is financially eligible. Calif opted in to that - other states did not. (Too many federal "strings" on the money, I believe, is a common reason why they did not.)

When I was in grad school I was looking at how US social services programs worked at cross-purposes. (Basically, some would cancel each other out - you take a payment for childcare so you can go to school or get training and your foodstamps were reduced, etc. That sort of thing. It trapped people on welfare.) As part of that, I did research on the Medicaid program.  Now, this is from over 25 years ago, so it may no longer be accurate. But at the time, the Feds sent money to the states to run their Medicaid programs, as there was significant lobbying in DC to ensure that the states had control (which is a long history/tradition) of the money. As long as they met minimum Fed regulations, how the states set up and ran their programs was up to them. 

California was/is actually one of the more progressive states. (Bernie's is a benchmark that Cal is nowhere near, though, yet.) I did my grad school in Texas, so I was looking at government social services in Texas.  At that time, there was no medical program for single adults, unless you fit into one of a very restrictive number of categories (severely disabled, etc.) regardless of your financial resources. You could be sleeping in a ditch with only the clothes on your back to your name and there was no government medical program to help you. (If you'd had a heart attack or something that left you disabled in that ditch, you could apply for SSI, but that takes two years. If you had SSI you could be covered under Medicare, not Medicaid.) There were, if memory serves, actually well over two dozen different Medicaid programs running at the same time in Texas, each with its own criteria and a maze of regulations and requirements. If you were a child and were accepted into a Medicaid program, you could get basic care. Thankfully. Texas, of course, was worlds ahead of some of the Southern states (Mississippi, etc.). I have no idea what the situation is there now and don't want to look at it.

I gave up working on that project because the more I dug, the more depressing it became. When i was interviewing people about their experiences, for a paper, I came across some true horror stories. People died who shouldn't have. People were left invalids needlessly. I wish I had not been redlining my energy being a single parent living on school financial aid and odd jobs in a place with no public transportation. But I was, and I simply could not cope with all that in addition to juggling trying to keep us afloat on a daily basis. That information should have been distilled and published. Not that any good might have come out of the paper, as it probably would only have made a small circle of rounds in academia, but there could have been something, some little thing, that it helped with.

Sigh.  :-[   Missed my chance.

Well, nothing to do about it now, other than to remember what the options other than NHS or private insurance are here - and what happens if we have to go back. If you're healthy, it's not quite the big deal. If you have medical issues, it drives everything you have to do. If you have issues that mean you periodically cannot work (assuming you can get a job with good insurance), you ... well, it's better here. Let's just leave it at that.  Healthcare is considered a public good here, not a marketed commodity, as it is in the USA. It's not a for-profit '"bidness" here.

Thank God. Seriously. Thank God. 8)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:59:04 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 718
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »
Thanks for those posts Nan. I complain about the paperwork, bureaucracy and costs I used to have when we lived over there, particularly after we retired, but our experience was a piece of cake compared to what you have been through.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »
I've been very fortunate. I have, apparently, an innate talent to "surf" government regulations and that has served me well. We always managed to squeak through. I did to try to help my neighbors, but there was only so much one could do when they couldn't see how all the strands of things would intertwine and impact them in the future. They couldn't do the "strategery" necessary to ever get out of that poverty pit. They worked their fingers to the bone, too, so it wasn't that they weren't trying.  As the song goes, "Work your fingers to the bone, and whaddaya get? Another day older and deeper in debt. (and boney fingers.)"

So, seriously, it was a stretch but we made it through. My blood pressure goes through the roof when I read about how things are in the USA now. Obamacare made a HUGE difference to our family. I can't post details on the internet due to privacy concerns, but it made such a huge, huge, huge difference. And someone with sticky fingers wants to dismantle it all now. Damn the profit margin!

Yeah, going for a cup of tea and not thinking about it anymore. Fingers in ears. La-la-la, doo dah, doo dah humming.....

Oh. I wrote to Obama to tell him about the difference he made, and to thank him. He wrote back. What a prince! My Hero.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:52:29 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 149
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2018, 12:54:18 PM »
I was more than happy to pay the NHS money for the recent ILR visa. Now is it true you don't have to pay the fee for the last Indefinite visa?
Fred

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 12:55:58 PM »
I was more than happy to pay the NHS money for the recent ILR visa. Now is it true you don't have to pay the fee for the last Indefinite visa?

Yes, that’s correct - because ILR gives you full access to UK benefits, same as UK citizens, so you no longer need to pay an IHS surcharge (which is only for temporary residents not permanent residents)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »

Would you be as happy to pay it if you were working and paying through the nose in tax?   ;)

• Liked: 77
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2018, 01:03:42 PM »

I was more than happy to pay the NHS money for the recent ILR visa.

If it made you (more than) happy, send in some more. They'll gladly take it ;)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Applied from Sin City, USA
Submitted online priority spouse visa Nov 2nd
Biometrics appointment completed Nov 6th
Package mailed to Sheffield Nov 6th
Received in Sheffield & e-mail received Nov 8th
Decision e-mail received Dec 5th
Approved or denied?    Approved!  Received Dec 7th

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »
Well, sticking my nose into the conversation once more, how much is the fee you have to pay the NHS for the visa? 

I'm thinking that working (and paying taxes) and then having the additional fee slapped on top is still less that paying for CSI and/or coverage in the USA?  Private Health Insurance for a 25 year old person in the USA was running about $800 a month, two years ago. (I doubt it's gotten cheaper.) So, about $10K or  7,500 pounds-ish a year. Plus co-pays and deductibles. If that makes one feel any better about it?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:24:09 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2018, 01:16:18 PM »

If it made you (more than) happy, send in some more. They'll gladly take it ;)

Hmmmm......£500 for several years.....or $4,000 for each year, and then pay co-pay and and and and. Pretty easy decision for me. Yep....still more than happy. I did not say I was crazy though......although my wife would disagree.
Fred

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2018, 01:19:20 PM »
Would you be as happy to pay it if you were working and paying through the nose in tax?   ;)
Nope...that would irritate me a bit. Those that are working shouldn't have to pay the visa fee as well. But.....not always that simple. What if you were working just long enough to prove you were paying into the NHS and then quit? From their point of view it's likely just not worth the time/effort to figure the details out and just charge everybody the fee.
Fred

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »
Nope...that would irritate me a bit. Those that are working shouldn't have to pay the visa fee as well. But.....not always that simple. What if you were working just long enough to prove you were paying into the NHS and then quit? From their point of view it's likely just not worth the time/effort to figure the details out and just charge everybody the fee.

I get it.  I really do.  It galled me that I had been paying in for 5 years when it was introduced.  It's the "picking on" immigrants that upsets me.  We are not the cause of the NHS being stretched to it's limit.  This is one of the big issues I'll get on my soapbox for.  Immigrants often bring a LOT to the economy and don't mooch off of everything, as the media would allow us to believe.

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2018, 01:25:20 PM »
Kinda makes it sound as if we are not welcome here, doesn't it.

• Liked: 77
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »
I get it.  I really do.  It galled me that I had been paying in for 5 years when it was introduced.  It's the "picking on" immigrants that upsets me.  We are not the cause of the NHS being stretched to it's limit.  This is one of the big issues I'll get on my soapbox for.  Immigrants often bring a LOT to the economy and don't mooch off of everything, as the media would allow us to believe.
LEGAL immigrants? Yes. Very valuable to a country's economy. They generally are law abiding, hard-working people looking to advance in life. Many are entrepreneurs who create jobs and help communities flourish.

ILLEGAL immigrants? Drain on the economy and a strain on the system (social services, law enforcement, medical treatment, etc) across the board.

There's a massive difference.

Applied from Sin City, USA
Submitted online priority spouse visa Nov 2nd
Biometrics appointment completed Nov 6th
Package mailed to Sheffield Nov 6th
Received in Sheffield & e-mail received Nov 8th
Decision e-mail received Dec 5th
Approved or denied?    Approved!  Received Dec 7th

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2018, 01:28:56 PM »
Well, sticking my nose into the conversation once more, how much is the fee you have to pay the NHS for the visa? 

I'm thinking that working (and paying taxes) and then having the additional fee slapped on top is still less that paying for CSI and/or coverage in the USA?  Private Health Insurance for a 25 year old person in the USA was running about $800 a month, two years ago. (I doubt it's gotten cheaper.) So, about $10K or  7,500 pounds-ish a year. Plus co-pays and deductibles.

I don't like comparing to the USA because it's not apples for apples.  It's the working immigrants having to pay into the system multiple times just for being an immigrant.

But according to an online calculator, 18.5% of our tax pays for healthcare.  Plus the £400 a year NHS levy - it's a lot of money.  Again, I 100% do NOT mind paying for the NHS and while the system needs transformation - it is no where NEAR as broken as the USA system.  What does bother me is paying twice for being an immigrant.

In the USA, I was always employed with excellent healthcare at no cost.  I KNOW this was a luxury based on being healthy and employable. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab