Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa and NHS Coverage  (Read 2332 times)

• Liked: 6
Visa and NHS Coverage
« on: February 08, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »
Hi All,

First, a big thank you to all of you who helped me out when I was preparing to immigrate to the UK! We all made it here safely and have just had our baby girl a couple months ago. I plan to register her birth at the US embassy in Edinburgh later this month, but I have a few questions about visas and NHS coverage.

First, what's the typical turnaround for the visa application? I was told by immigration we must wait until we have her passport to apply (adding her as a dependent on my Tier 2 general visa), and I have travel plans to the US in June. I'm not sure how much more it would cost to try to get a same day decision or if that's even possible to do from within the UK. I'm based in the Northeast.

Second, I read that the NHS only covers babies born in the UK for the first three months. What happens if we don't have her visa and health surcharge settled by then? I don't want to have to pay for coverage, but I doubt we'll get the visa done before she's 12 weeks.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Visa and NHS Coverage
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »
You just need to have applied by the time the baby is three months old.  It's okay if the visa hasn't been approved yet.  If you haven't applied by the time baby is three months, you'll need to pay for any NHS services. 

Congratulations!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 03:00:06 PM »
Thanks, KF Dancer! I was afraid that might be the case. We don't have an appt at the US embassy until she's 11 weeks. I did plan to go sooner but she was in special care for several weeks so wasn't able to go until now.

Is there anyone I can contact from the NHS? Immigration says I can't apply for the visa until I have her passport. I'm more than happy to pay the health surcharge now, but I keep being told that needs done with the visa application.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
Yes, you definitely need the passport before you can apply for the visa.

A few options:

1.  See if you can move the appointment to an earlier date
2.  Get a passport issued the same day at the embassy (it'll only be valid for one year and you'll need to send it in for the full passport in that time).  Then you can send the Tier 2 application before the three months is up.
3.  Pay out of pocket for any treatment between 12 weeks and when you apply (unlikely to be more than a couple of weeks I suspect).  You'll have one set of jabs in there - which you could delay.  Otherwise, I suspect you are unlikely to have any scary bills.  I suspect the jabs are rather inexpensive.  I'd try to avoid this option - only because the NHS and UKVI can be so awkward.  I can see your GP surgery refusing to charge for the jabs (or any other treatment) as it's a tiny infant.  However, UKVI will want to see the bill has been paid.  It's very ying and yang!

Personally I'd try for #1 or #2.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 02:15:22 PM »
Yes, you definitely need the passport before you can apply for the visa.

A few options:

1.  See if you can move the appointment to an earlier date
2.  Get a passport issued the same day at the embassy (it'll only be valid for one year and you'll need to send it in for the full passport in that time).  Then you can send the Tier 2 application before the three months is up.
3.  Pay out of pocket for any treatment between 12 weeks and when you apply (unlikely to be more than a couple of weeks I suspect).  You'll have one set of jabs in there - which you could delay.  Otherwise, I suspect you are unlikely to have any scary bills.  I suspect the jabs are rather inexpensive.  I'd try to avoid this option - only because the NHS and UKVI can be so awkward.  I can see your GP surgery refusing to charge for the jabs (or any other treatment) as it's a tiny infant.  However, UKVI will want to see the bill has been paid.  It's very ying and yang!

Personally I'd try for #1 or #2.

Definately 1 or 2.

If you go for 3 and your employer has not provided private health insurance, it might to best to take out inusrance for your baby just in case there is an emergency. 50% is added to the bill if there is no insurance.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:15:48 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 43
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
Try and get an earlier appointment if that's possible. I've found the consulate in Edinburgh to be great for things like that. Both my girls had passports within a few weeks of being born. Cue hilarious passports for the next five years.
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

Sponsored Links