Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cleaning the stove (sigh)  (Read 1725 times)

• Liked: 672
Cleaning the stove (sigh)
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »
Ok. I have an electric stove top. Hob, I mean.  ::) And the burners are solid and set down onto the metal top. I've never dealt with this type of burner before, only the coil ones, glass-tops, and gas.

So, the area just around the burners themselves, on the cooktop, is burned brown. I have just spent an hour with 1) soap and water; 2) detergent and water; 3) baking soda; 4)baking soda and vinegar; 5) salt .... and a damp rag.  My poor finger is threatening to fall off, from where I wrapped it in the rag and was using it to scrub with. 

So, some progress, it's a bit cleaner, but not "as new". The unit is only 6 months old, and it really needs to look better than it does.  My fallback would be to go get some Easy-Off Oven cleaner and spot clean with it, but apparently that is not available in the UK.(?)  Has anyone used something else for this type of staining/burnt-on/scorching to a good end?

• Liked: 4985
Re: Cleaning the stove (sigh)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
I personally haven't used it, but have heard excellent things about Bar Keepers Friend. 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 03:11:14 PM »
I use these for that sort of thing.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/gloves-sponges-cloths/asda-spiral-scourers/910001946344

They are gentle and don't hurt the fingers or the finish but do the job of getting rid of that sort of residual  stuff. Just add a little water and fairy liquid and scrub!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:12:33 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 03:20:06 PM »
Hmm, I actually have some of those so I'll give that a try. (They were in the cabinet when we moved in.) Am trying to sort out what must have dripped at about 1:00 on the top of that small burner, as it's taken it all down to the shine. (Wonder if it was the Vietnamese chili sauce...)

I am really trying to not screw up the surface of the metal, so will see how it goes. Thanks.

[Edit:  OMG, those worked exceptionally well, and don't appear to have damaged the surface! THANKS!  Took less than five minutes this time!  ;D  ]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:41:56 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 03:58:47 PM »
[Edit:  OMG, those worked exceptionally well, and don't appear to have damaged the surface! THANKS!  Took less than five minutes this time!  ;D  ]

Yay!  ;D

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 08:53:56 PM »
I was going to recommend Bar Keepers Friend. I use it all the time.

I've bought Easy Off type spray oven cleaner here at Poundland.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 09:18:29 PM »
Those burners are such a pain. Glad you found something, we just left ours when we moved out of the last house. We couldn't get them clean either.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 08:29:10 AM »
Yeah, not wild about the burners, but like them better than glass-top, since I do use a pressure canner from time to time and that's pretty much impossible with glass. Was hoping we'd get gas burners when we were looking at flats, but this flat was just so ideal for us that the burners were a low priority. Glad to know that Poundland has E.O., as the inside of the oven is my next task. I do use it every day, so by now it needs a cleaning. (Sigh. I hate cleaning the oven.)

It's very nice to come out to make my tea this morning and have a sparkling clean stovetop again.  It's odd how the little things like that seem to matter in my life, these days. It must be because I actually have time and am not exhausted from 10 hour workdays/commuting.  I do believe I still am enjoying the heck out of being retired! ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »
Mr Muscle spray is really good for that kind of thing (and also works wonders for cleaning the glass on our wood burning stove)

Bar Keepers friend is definitely awesome for many things in the house and always worth a try when other stuff doesn't work. It does amazing wonders for our porcelain Belfast sink (taking out scratches).   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »
Mr Muscle spray is really good for that kind of thing (and also works wonders for cleaning the glass on our wood burning stove)

When I my family's home had a wood burning stove, I always just used glass cleaner and newspaper to clean the soot off the windows... but that was back when newspapers still came in print.  Don't use your computer!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
In my hotel career I hung out with lots of housekeepers and they all insisted they would never clean glass with anything but newspaper.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 10:41:09 AM »
A given that cleaning sprays are not good for air quality or your health now, newspapers are the way forward.

Was laughing with my husband this morning, because I've had arguments with him over the amount of cleaning products he uses. But since he does 90% of all the domestic cleaning in our house, I've stopped arguing. We were listening to the radio reports and smiled, but he laughed and said,  "Well I only really use CIF which is a cream, and Domestos which is a gel, and well Pledge. But.... I'm refusing to give up Pledge!!!"

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »
My wife was a dedicated lover of gas ovens and tops. We are now with an induction top and an oven that is pyrolytic and self cleans.....she wouldn't go back for anything. Just wipes the top off and lets the oven nuke everything inside and just wipes that off as well. If you haven't tried the induction tops......I love them myself, damn they are fast.
Fred

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 12:59:06 PM »

Bar Keepers friend is definitely awesome for many things in the house and always worth a try when other stuff doesn't work. It does amazing wonders for our porcelain Belfast sink (taking out scratches).

Cool, I'll get some Mr. M and give it a try. Thankfully it's a small oven!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
PB is that Mr. Muscle oven spray for the fireplace glass?  I'll give that a go, it's driving me crazy!

Sponsored Links