Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cleaning the stove (sigh)  (Read 1724 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
Re: Cleaning the stove (sigh)
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »
PB is that Mr. Muscle oven spray for the fireplace glass?  I'll give that a go, it's driving me crazy!

That would be correct!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 10:18:33 PM »
While we're talking about cleaning, does anyone have tips on getting the date stamp off glass jars?

I've found some sites that suggest rubbing alcohol, but that doesn't seem easy to find here. Hopefully I'm just looking in the wrong place and it's easier to find than I think.

I bought some cute mustard jars in Germany (like this) and only need to get that date stamp off to make them into little drinking glasses.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
While we're talking about cleaning, does anyone have tips on getting the date stamp off glass jars?

I've found some sites that suggest rubbing alcohol, but that doesn't seem easy to find here. Hopefully I'm just looking in the wrong place and it's easier to find than I think.

I bought some cute mustard jars in Germany (like this) and only need to get that date stamp off to make them into little drinking glasses.

Try nail polish remover?

• Liked: 533
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 07:47:52 AM »
The warnings on the can of oven cleaner are scary.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »
Try nail polish remover?

There are tons of isopropyl alcohol listings on Amazon and eBay. You just can't get it at Boots anymore.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 11:13:09 AM »
There are tons of isopropyl alcohol listings on Amazon and eBay. You just can't get it at Boots anymore.

Yes.  :). But I read that nail polish remover takes date stamps off glass. :)

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 02:09:16 PM »
Yes.  :). But I read that nail polish remover takes date stamps off glass. :)

I've never tried it. Was just letting people know rubbing/isopropyl alcohol is available readily on Amazon if they are looking for it for some reason. :)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »
I've never tried it. Was just letting people know rubbing/isopropyl alcohol is available readily on Amazon if they are looking for it for some reason. :)

It's always good to have some in the cupboard! :)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »
It's always good to have some in the cupboard! :)
What about "surgical spirits"? I saw that at Boots where I though isopropyl alcohol would be.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 03:08:50 PM »
What about "surgical spirits"? I saw that at Boots where I though isopropyl alcohol would be.

I have some of that too (be prepared!  ;D)

It has similar uses but different ingredients. From the bottle I have- caster oil 2.5%, methyl salicylate 0.5%, methylated spirit 95% and diethyl phthalate.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »
I have some of that too (be prepared!  ;D)

It has similar uses but different ingredients. From the bottle I have- caster oil 2.5%, methyl salicylate 0.5%, methylated spirit 95% and diethyl phthalate.
Hmmm. Yeah. Not the same at all.

I've been here a year now and haven't needed isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide but now I have a hankering for them. Lol.

I'll just pretend I didn't find out they are difficult to find. Then I can go back to not needing them.

Like liquid magnesium citrate. I feel like I need to own a few bottles of it "just in case".

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »
Hmmm. Yeah. Not the same at all.

I've been here a year now and haven't needed isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide but now I have a hankering for them. Lol.

I'll just pretend I didn't find out they are difficult to find. Then I can go back to not needing them.

Like liquid magnesium citrate. I feel like I need to own a few bottles of it "just in case".

I found 6% hydrogen peroxide (US is usually 3% I think...) at some online pharmacy or boots. I cant remember. lol

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
I found 6% hydrogen peroxide (US is usually 3% I think...) at some online pharmacy or boots. I cant remember. lol

It used to be available from behind the pharmacy counter at Boots, but after an attempted terrorist bombing in 2008, where the would-be bomber purchased hydrogen peroxide from several Boots stores in Bristol in order to build his bombs, they stopped selling it.

• Liked: 672
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 08:31:53 PM »
Hmmm. I got some H202 from Boots not too long ago. But finding rubbing alcohol has been impossible!

OH DARN IT. I walked all the way down to the store to get some groceries and Mr. Muscle and came out without the Mr. Muscle.  ::)  I swear, I'd forget my head if it wasn't bolted on!~
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:33:01 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 08:45:47 PM »
Hmmm. I got some H202 from Boots not too long ago. But finding rubbing alcohol has been impossible!

OH DARN IT. I walked all the way down to the store to get some groceries and Mr. Muscle and came out without the Mr. Muscle.  ::)  I swear, I'd forget my head if it wasn't bolted on!~

You can get isopropyl/rubbing alcohol on Amazon really easily, 1 litre for £6.99. Or just by typing isopropyl alcohol into google.

Sponsored Links