Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying for UK settlement visa before renewing my passport  (Read 206 times)

• Liked: 2
Applying for UK settlement visa before renewing my passport
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:10:07 PM »
I am a US citizen marrying a UK citizen. We are getting married by the court around March 26 and having our wedding on June 16. I’ll be applying to settle with my future husband and will be expediting the application so that we have the visa in time to move in late June. I will submit the application ASAP after March 26 but will also be applying for name changes, new passport, new ID, and all before moving.

The problem is, I will be applying for the visa and changing my name (and thus renewing my US passport) at the same time when we are married by the court in March. I’m concerned that if I apply for the visa using my original passport number/details but get to the UK border with my new renewed passport which has a different name, number, exp. date, etc than the info on the visa, that the border patrol won’t accept the visa.. Is this a valid concern?

It would make sense to me that with the original marriage license, the visa, and both the old and renewed passports, the visa should be accepted...? To me it makes sense that the marriage license would explain the fact that I am the original passport holder that is on the visa and the person with the valid new passport, but I’m afraid that the visa would have to match the new passport??

Please help! I feel like I’m worrying myself into a problem that may not even be there but i want to cross my t’s and dot all my i’s before getting to the border when I’m ready to move to the UK in June!
Met: 10 September 2014
Engaged: 15 August 2016
Married: 27 March 2018
Online App: 13 April 18
Biometrics: 17 April 18
Priority App Sent: 17 April 18
App Arrived Email: 20 April 18
Decision Email:

• Liked: 6110
Re: Applying for UK settlement visa before renewing my passport
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:28:28 PM »
I am a US citizen marrying a UK citizen. We are getting married by the court around March 26 and having our wedding on June 16. I’ll be applying to settle with my future husband and will be expediting the application so that we have the visa in time to move in late June. I will submit the application ASAP after March 26 but will also be applying for name changes, new passport, new ID, and all before moving.

The problem is, I will be applying for the visa and changing my name (and thus renewing my US passport) at the same time when we are married by the court in March. I’m concerned that if I apply for the visa using my original passport number/details but get to the UK border with my new renewed passport which has a different name, number, exp. date, etc than the info on the visa, that the border patrol won’t accept the visa.. Is this a valid concern?

It would make sense to me that with the original marriage license, the visa, and both the old and renewed passports, the visa should be accepted...? To me it makes sense that the marriage license would explain the fact that I am the original passport holder that is on the visa and the person with the valid new passport, but I’m afraid that the visa would have to match the new passport??

Please help! I feel like I’m worrying myself into a problem that may not even be there but i want to cross my t’s and dot all my i’s before getting to the border when I’m ready to move to the UK in June!

When you apply, you need to include your passport with the application and the visa which is a sticker applied to the passport can only be issued in the same name. So if you want to change your name, you would need to wait until you have your new passport back before you could apply.
Also, you might need to be a little flexible with your move date because even with priority, that might be cutting it a little fine, especially when you add in processing for the new passport.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:32:40 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 957
Re: Applying for UK settlement visa before renewing my passport
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:34:58 PM »
If you use the expedited processing on the passport name change and you may be able to get it back within a week or two. But priority has been taking an average of 30 working days since last year when Sheffield took on more countries (sometimes much more, sometimes much less) so you'd be cutting it very close with a June 16 wedding date.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links