Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cat lady for life!  (Read 32307 times)

• Liked: 248
Re: Cat lady for life!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 10:59:44 PM »
My oldest one is black too and is sitting next to me at this moment.  Yours looks so lovely and I am sure you are heartbroken.  They say the cat chooses you and I am sure one will be waiting for you when you are ready and know where you will be.

• Liked: 957
Cat lady for life!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 11:12:26 PM »
This thread is the best. I am missing my Elly so much today. She has been living with her "grandparents" since I moved in December because my husband's london flat didn't allow cats. He's going to pick her up this weekend while I'm in the US so she'll be there to greet me when I return. But his parents are so in love with her that they're actually taking the taxi back with him so they can help her settle into the new place (and I'm sure see where we're living, which is many levels nicer than his previous flat.) His mum sent me a photo of her sprawling across their bed matting her hands today and it made me happy she's been so well adjusted, especially for a rescue who had a really really rough start in life (she and her sister were rescued from euthanasia in a high kill shelter, but her sister was sick and passed away shortly after I adopted them.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:13:27 PM by margo »

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 12:15:15 AM »
I've got an Ellie as well.  She is the sweetest thing.  Absolutely feral, but husband managed to catch her.  She had lost the fur on her back when he caught her.  We took her to the vet - but she had to be sedated so he could examine her.  She had nasty ringworm.  She joined my herd - she was number 6, and gave all of them ringworm, and shared it with me too.  We managed to use up all the supplies of ringworm medicine.  I visited the UK and got some more from a vet there and just as I was about to leave the office, clutching the medicine, the vet stopped me and asked if I knew that they had changed the dosage.  So my poor babies had had this really strong medicine for way too long because it was the wrong dosage.  I got back and with the right dose they cleared up.

Ellie was also known as Ellie the Belly because she was so fat.  Since arriving in the UK she has not had dried food (she was, and still is, addicted) and is now a sensible weight.

Your Ellie sounds as if she is loved so much.  And, of course, that is her right. 

I want to hear how it went when you see her again.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 07:02:29 AM »
Love all the black kitties!   [smiley=smitten.gif]

We have three but I aspire to have a herd like Blossom does!  :D ... well, maybe not 7 but I’m seriously considering 5.   ;D

• Liked: 424
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
Love all the black kitties!   [smiley=smitten.gif]

We have three but I aspire to have a herd like Blossom does!  :D ... well, maybe not 7 but I’m seriously considering 5.   ;D
We just have a  George...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 09:39:40 AM »
We just have a  George...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

George is growing up!  What a handsome boy.  Is he a snuggly cat?

Larabee, I love black cats.  I know they are tough to adopt out in the USA due to superstitions.  Do you know if that's the case here?

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
Yesterday I was reading an article on our local cat shelter type place.  Apparently they find it hard to re-home black and white cats. They reckon it takes three times longer than any other coloured cat.  It is fantastic to see so many black and white pics on here.  We have two and they are both beautiful.

We didn't plan on having a herd of 7.  I only wanted one!  But each one of ours came to us with problems and would have died if we hadn't have taken them. 

We have two black and white.
Two Grey (one fluffy and one short hair)
Two orange and white (one fluffy and one short hair)
And one black one (senior lady)

Actually wanting a herd of 5 - I am deeply impressed.  Cat people are such nice people.

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 09:50:13 AM »
Black cats have the reputation of being bad luck in the States - but in the UK they are supposed to be lucky.  Good luck to see a black cat on your wedding day, good luck to have a black cat cross your path.  But because of films etc coming from the States people are beginning to think black cats are evil in the UK as well.

The article I was reading yesterday said that black cats were harder to adopt out.

When I was little, I always wanted a black cat.  I thought they were beautiful. 

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »

Larabee, I love black cats.  I know they are tough to adopt out in the USA due to superstitions.  Do you know if that's the case here?

I’ve read that Plain black and plain white cats are not popular here because people don’t think they’re as pretty as those with more glamorous markings.

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »
I shall now bore everyone (probably again) on how I met my hubby.  I can hear people groaning but shall ignore it.

It was a company and country holiday so the compound I was living on was very quiet as everyone had headed out to somewhere else.  And I had a cold.  One of those colds with a snotty nose which was a lovely shade of red, eyeballs the same colour, head feeling as if someone was sitting on it.  And in true tradition, I was sitting in the house feeling a bit sorry for myself and wearing the traditional no make up and baggy sweat pants look.  I decided to go for a walk to see if it helped clear my head.

I didn't want to go out the front in case anyone saw me, so I went out the back gate.  The back gate backed onto a small road and there wasn't a soul out so that was a good thing.  I took my eldest cat out for a little walk and had only stepped out of the back gate when I spotted a black and white cat in a neighbours window.  It was quiet and no one was around so I went up to the window and was talking to the cat through the glass.  At which point my future husband, who works shifts, pulled into his drive - to find me staring through his front window. 

At that point I had two cats.  One I had adopted only a couple of weeks before (someone I knew had kicked her cat and left it with a broken leg for a week - I now no longer know her).  Future hubby had a cat - which had a problem which is normally a death sentence.  So that made three cats and the start of the herd.

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
Yesterday I was reading an article on our local cat shelter type place.  Apparently they find it hard to re-home black and white cats. They reckon it takes three times longer than any other coloured cat.  It is fantastic to see so many black and white pics on here.  We have two and they are both beautiful.

We didn't plan on having a herd of 7.  I only wanted one!  But each one of ours came to us with problems and would have died if we hadn't have taken them. 

We have two black and white.
Two Grey (one fluffy and one short hair)
Two orange and white (one fluffy and one short hair)
And one black one (senior lady)

Actually wanting a herd of 5 - I am deeply impressed.  Cat people are such nice people.

We always had just two at a time. When the old girl died I went to see a litter of black kittens at the shelter with the intention of bringing just one home but couldn’t quite manage to do that and came home with two babies!.... that was such a success that I’ve been hankering after another two ever since!  ;D

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »
I think two is a good number. 

Two black kitties - I think that would be so gorgeous on so many levels.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
I always kept to two cats as I was single and anymore and I would have REALLY been a cat lady.

Now we are a family of four, I don't think we need ANY limits on how many we have.   ;D

My husband wants a dog.  Too bad!  ;)

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 10:08:50 AM »
I think two is a good number. 

Two black kitties - I think that would be so gorgeous on so many levels.

It worked out so well because they could play with each other when the other one needed some peace.

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 10:15:55 AM »
My hubby wants a dog too - as well as the cats!  But, you can't always get what you want.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab