Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cat lady for life!  (Read 32271 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Cat lady for life!
« Reply #360 on: November 14, 2018, 01:24:44 PM »
Yay, glad he's feeling better!  :D

• Liked: 239
« Reply #361 on: November 14, 2018, 01:33:45 PM »
Yay for Sobe! And you too  :D
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 248
« Reply #362 on: November 20, 2018, 05:17:56 PM »
The Queen of our brood is Paddie.  She is a black cat, born in 2001, and loving being in England.

I noticed she was getting quite thin so we took her to the vet and, checking his records, discovered that she had lost 20% of her body weight in 7 months.  Alarm bells rang.  The vet suggested she may have an over active thyroid, although she didn't have any obvious symptoms.  So they took her in an anaesthetised her and took a blood and urine sample.  The results showed she had the start of kidney failure which, apparently, is to be expected in an older cat, but she was also very anaemic.  They did more tests on the blood - and found nothing else. 

The vet has now suggested that the next step would be to get her in and anaesthetise her and take more blood for tests, and also to do a chest Xray as he suspected a tumour.  He added that if they did find a tumour he wasn't sure if they could treat it.  I have decided not to go down that route as I can see no sense in submitting her to more stress when they would not be able to do anything anyway.

The treatment we are using is to spoil her, keep her warm and safe, and feed her at every opportunity with the theory that she is anaemic because she has lost weight, therefore if she puts weight on she might pick up.

She is eating little but often.  She is content and happy.  She is bright.  When the Autumn sun breaks through she will go outside and sit and enjoy.

We will take her to be weighed again in a week or so in the hopes that she has gained a little.

I know the path we are on leads towards the Rainbow Bridge.   While she is with us we will enjoy.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #363 on: November 20, 2018, 05:28:47 PM »
Sending lots of love to you and Paddie, Blossom. x

• Liked: 424
« Reply #364 on: November 20, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »
Paddie might just surprise everyone, I had a wonderful old furry friend who the vet said was on his last legs.....he was around and a grumpy old man for another 5 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #365 on: November 20, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
The Queen of our brood is Paddie.  She is a black cat, born in 2001, and loving being in England.

I noticed she was getting quite thin so we took her to the vet and, checking his records, discovered that she had lost 20% of her body weight in 7 months.  Alarm bells rang.  The vet suggested she may have an over active thyroid, although she didn't have any obvious symptoms.  So they took her in an anaesthetised her and took a blood and urine sample.  The results showed she had the start of kidney failure which, apparently, is to be expected in an older cat, but she was also very anaemic.  They did more tests on the blood - and found nothing else. 

The vet has now suggested that the next step would be to get her in and anaesthetise her and take more blood for tests, and also to do a chest Xray as he suspected a tumour.  He added that if they did find a tumour he wasn't sure if they could treat it.  I have decided not to go down that route as I can see no sense in submitting her to more stress when they would not be able to do anything anyway.

The treatment we are using is to spoil her, keep her warm and safe, and feed her at every opportunity with the theory that she is anaemic because she has lost weight, therefore if she puts weight on she might pick up.

She is eating little but often.  She is content and happy.  She is bright.  When the Autumn sun breaks through she will go outside and sit and enjoy.

We will take her to be weighed again in a week or so in the hopes that she has gained a little.

I know the path we are on leads towards the Rainbow Bridge.   While she is with us we will enjoy.
Sorry to hear this Blossom but I think you are doing the right thing.

Can you supplement her with some calf liver?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #366 on: November 20, 2018, 06:11:29 PM »
I am hoping she will surprise everyone.  I've tried her with liver but she didn't fancy it - but it didn't go to waste as the other 6 were delighted with it!

Paddie has been with me through quite a few challenges and she is so intelligent.  I know everyone thinks that their furry companion is special, but Paddie truly is.

If her quality of life starts to go, then I won't let her suffer.  But I might need therapy after!

It was seeing how well Sobe looked that made me take notice of her and realise she was losing weight.

She is sitting next to me right now, having a little doze and purring all the time. 

Thank you for all your comments.  They do help.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #367 on: November 20, 2018, 07:33:52 PM »
I am hoping she will surprise everyone.  I've tried her with liver but she didn't fancy it - but it didn't go to waste as the other 6 were delighted with it!

Paddie has been with me through quite a few challenges and she is so intelligent.  I know everyone thinks that their furry companion is special, but Paddie truly is.

If her quality of life starts to go, then I won't let her suffer.  But I might need therapy after!

It was seeing how well Sobe looked that made me take notice of her and realise she was losing weight.

She is sitting next to me right now, having a little doze and purring all the time. 

Thank you for all your comments.  They do help.

Have a look at the k/d food for her.  In fact if you send me your address, I’ll post the beef pouches Sobe turned his nose up at.

I completely agree about not doing any heroics.  I won’t do any for Sobe.  But checking the urine is cheap and if a UTI is at play, Paddie may have a lot more time to give. 

Hugs and love.  You’ve been so kind to me with my Sobe scares.  They are our babies - just as much as the human kind!

« Reply #368 on: November 20, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
You are so kind.

She had her urine tested.  She had her blood tested.  They can't find anything.

But, I think it may be her teeth.  She had her teeth cleaned 7 months ago and they found a little hole in one and extracted it.  She actually gained weight just after her teeth were done.  Watching her eat she seems to be licking up the gravy and will bite into food and then suddenly stop.  I brought this up to the vet and he pretty well dismissed it.

I am feeding her easy to eat food virtually every time she opens her eyes.  Hubby says it may be his imagination but he thinks she has gained a tiny bit of weight.

The plan is, we will feed her anything and everything she will eat and take her back to the vet probably next week for a weigh in.  And I am going to insist they look at her teeth.

Paddie has never carried much weight.  It was only seeing the pictures of Sobe and how good he looked made me take a second look at Paddie.  If I hadn't realised she would have slipped further away.

It is encouraging to hear that others have had cats that have come back from this.

Thank you everyone.

« Reply #369 on: November 20, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »
You are so kind.

She had her urine tested.  She had her blood tested.  They can't find anything.

But, I think it may be her teeth.  She had her teeth cleaned 7 months ago and they found a little hole in one and extracted it.  She actually gained weight just after her teeth were done.  Watching her eat she seems to be licking up the gravy and will bite into food and then suddenly stop.  I brought this up to the vet and he pretty well dismissed it.

I am feeding her easy to eat food virtually every time she opens her eyes.  Hubby says it may be his imagination but he thinks she has gained a tiny bit of weight.

The plan is, we will feed her anything and everything she will eat and take her back to the vet probably next week for a weigh in.  And I am going to insist they look at her teeth.

Paddie has never carried much weight.  It was only seeing the pictures of Sobe and how good he looked made me take a second look at Paddie.  If I hadn't realised she would have slipped further away.

It is encouraging to hear that others have had cats that have come back from this.

Thank you everyone.
Will she eat cat yogurt?

« Reply #370 on: November 20, 2018, 09:43:20 PM »
Not heard of cat yoghurt!  Is it good for them?

« Reply #371 on: November 20, 2018, 09:44:09 PM »
I was going to get some high calorie paste for her tomorrow.

« Reply #372 on: November 20, 2018, 09:47:58 PM »
My Pedro Felix loves it. We just buy it at Target. It comes in a little straw like packet.
Not heard of cat yoghurt!  Is it good for them?

« Reply #373 on: November 20, 2018, 09:51:54 PM »
Is that like the Webbox Lix tubes?

Of course, she doesn't like them, does she!

She is eating a little more than she was.  She eats a tiny bit, usually licking the gravy, then has a rest, then when I offer it to her again she will lick some more. 

« Reply #374 on: November 20, 2018, 09:57:59 PM »
Is that like the Webbox Lix tubes?

Of course, she doesn't like them, does she!

She is eating a little more than she was.  She eats a tiny bit, usually licking the gravy, then has a rest, then when I offer it to her again she will lick some more.
Yes. My husband calls them cat yoghurt so I thought it was cat yoghurt.  Lol. I don't buy the cat snacks. He's the feeder... he buys all the snacks for everyone in the house.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab