Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dressing toddlers for wet, cold, windy weather  (Read 2782 times)

• Liked: 113
Dressing toddlers for wet, cold, windy weather
« on: February 20, 2018, 04:17:36 AM »
I grew up in the Philippines (tropical, hot, humid) & currently moving to the UK from California. So I don’t have a clue how to dress a toddler for UK (Scotland) weather. What are the essentials? So far I have read.....

1. Good base layer - merino wool if you can afford it and cotton is not recommended
2. 2nd layer - can be anything warm like fleece tops & bottoms
3. 3rd layer - outerwear that keeps the wind & cold out
4. For rainy days - a one piece rainsuit
5. Warm socks, a bonnet/beanie, maybe a balaclava, mittens, good waterproof boots

I would like to be able to take my son out to play in the park or enjoy the outdoors regardless of the weather so clothing that keeps him warm & dry (breathable) are top priority. I also don’t mind paying more for quality if these can be passed down to a younger sibling.

I will try to find what I can get here in the US to fit in our luggage but of course we have the baggage weight limitation. So we may do a shopping trip once we get there. What are good brands to look out for?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:42:15 AM by masonjohnsmum »
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Dressing toddlers for wet, cold, windy weather
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:13:22 AM »
Sounds like you've done a lot of research already!  :)

I know they say a Merino base layer is not supposed to be scratchy but I would test him out with just one garment first, just to make sure he's ok with it.  :)

I bet most of the children you meet will not be dressed so thoughtfully!  ;)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:28:48 AM by larrabee »

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:15:40 AM »
Sounds like you've done a lot of research already!  :)

I know they say a Merino base layer is not supposed to be scratchy but I would test him out with just one garment first, just to make sure he's ok with it.  :)

I bet most of the children you meet will not be dressed so thoughtfully!  ;)

Lol! My partner says I worry too much. He’s a British citizen, born in Scotland, but his parents moved to California when he was 7 years old. So he’s just as clueless as me. We don’t really have any close family there in the UK so I rely a lot on Google and this forum.
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:14:51 AM »
The one piece rain suits are very common. Definitely wellies. Lots of puddles to play in!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »
We managed to get two kids through toddlerhood without having to import any clothes from the states.  It might make sense to bring some clothes but generally, they are available here. I would save my luggage space for things you can't find here. Don't bring wellies no matter what, like bringing coal to Newcastle.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:51:53 AM »
We managed to get two kids through toddlerhood without having to import any clothes from the states.  It might make sense to bring some clothes but generally, they are available here. I would save my luggage space for things you can't find here. Don't bring wellies no matter what, like bringing coal to Newcastle.

Yes, I was thinking of packing just enough clothes to last a week. Since i’m sure we couldn’t go out and about as soon as we arrived with a jetlagges toddler.

Like what things exactly wouldn’t we be able to find there that’s available in the US?
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 09:53:48 AM »
Like what things exactly wouldn’t we be able to find there that’s available in the US?
Probably nothing, to be honest.  I can't imagine what we wouldn't have that the US would?

Don't bring wellies no matter what, like bringing coal to Newcastle.

Yeah, I should have clarified that I wasn't saying to bring this stuff from the US. It's probably way easier (maybe even cheaper) here than California anyways, since we need it all the time!   ;)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:34:03 AM »

The answer to this question could be "absolutely everything" or "nothing really" depending on your mindset and how fussy you are.  There's endless threads on here about people who can't find proper sheets or band aids or neo sporin .  It might be worth your time to skim those before you pack.  You can also get anything delivered  by Amazon these days.

On the other hand, UK people (even the Scottish)  are still humans and have either have something like neo sporin or have worked out a way to do without and nobody died.  Just get on with it and get used to doing it the way the locals do.  It will be cheaper and more satisfying, and you will fit in better.

Enough lecturing though.  I usually go with the latter approach except when it comes to grits and other sweets. 

Do you try to give your kids something from Filipino culture?  That might be something worth bringing, like books or CDs.  Be prepared, your kid will grow up to be Scottish.  I've suddenly found myself living with two actual British kids and I actually find myself struggling to give them some American culture.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:43:49 AM »
The answer to this question could be "absolutely everything" or "nothing really" depending on your mindset and how fussy you are.  There's endless threads on here about people who can't find proper sheets or band aids or neo sporin .  It might be worth your time to skim those before you pack.  You can also get anything delivered  by Amazon these days.

On the other hand, UK people (even the Scottish)  are still humans and have either have something like neo sporin or have worked out a way to do without and nobody died.  Just get on with it and get used to doing it the way the locals do.  It will be cheaper and more satisfying, and you will fit in better.

Enough lecturing though.  I usually go with the latter approach except when it comes to grits and other sweets. 

Do you try to give your kids something from Filipino culture?  That might be something worth bringing, like books or CDs.  Be prepared, your kid will grow up to be Scottish.  I've suddenly found myself living with two actual British kids and I actually find myself struggling to give them some American culture.

Lol i find this quite funny. Well to be honest i was looking for local brand suggestions exactly for that reason — what do the locals get? I’ve also lived in other countries aside from the Philippines & US and I pride myself for being able to acclimatize to the local scene pretty well. Hopefully I teach my son the same so he doesn’t grow up snobbish. We do have some Filipino cartoon CD’s, books, etc. but I have resigned to the fact he’ll have a Scottish brogue  :D
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 01:13:06 PM »
For kids, most clothes are bought at the supermarket, Primark, or H&M.  The store Next is considered high end.

I buy the rain suits and wellies second hand (Local Facebook selling groups).   They are pretty indestructible.

• Liked: 43
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 07:35:16 PM »
You’re overthinking it, but please don’t think I’m judging - I’m an overthinker too.

My girls are 4 and almost 6.  Nearly every day during toddlerhood they wore the following:
Cotton socks
Cotton leggings, sweatpants or jeans
Sometimes tights
Undies
A vest (an undershirt)
Some sort of top/cardigan/jumper combo

Then for going out-out, they’d wear one of those all-in-one suits, wellies, gloves and a hat.

For just going between the house and the car/pram, etc, a good warm jacket (doesn’t really need to be fully waterproof), wellies or other footwear, hat and gloves (sometimes).

In the summer, much the same but sometimes you can get away with no jacket and for like three days of the year, you can wear summer clothes.

The thing about the rain here is that while it falls frequently, it’s not heavy, soaking rain like in the states. It CAN be soaking, but mostly it’s just mizzle. The rain gear is mostly because all the surfaces are wet.

Might be worth bringing wellies and a jacket just so you can tell them apart from everyone else’s same exact jacket and wellies purchased from Lidl/ASDA/etc.

:)
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »
In the summer, much the same but sometimes you can get away with no jacket and for like three days of the year, you can wear summer clothes.

I grew up in the UK and I'm pretty much the same. My wardrobe stays the same all year round (jeans, tops, cardigans)... the only difference is the thickness and size of my jacket/coat and whether I need to dig out my hat, gloves and scarf.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 09:31:59 PM »
Might be worth bringing wellies and a jacket just so you can tell them apart from everyone else’s same exact jacket and wellies purchased from Lidl/ASDA/etc.

Are Lidl and ASDA like the Walmart and Targets of America?
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 09:38:10 PM »

We have nothing as good as Target!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 09:41:42 PM »

ASDA is actually owned by Walmart, though it was founded in 1965 and bought by Walmart in 1999. The George brand clothing sold in US Walmart stores is actually originally an ASDA brand (‘George at ASDA’).

There’s sadly no Target equivalent in the UK (much to a lot of people’s disappointment), but Lidl is a German supermarket (like Aldi) which has good food and various items of clothing for cheap prices. There are apparently 49 Lidl stores in the US, but there are 700 in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:43:15 PM by ksand24 »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab