Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The faculty are on strike  (Read 1713 times)

• Liked: 672
The faculty are on strike
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:00:34 PM »
Daughter is livid. While supporting the faculty (she considers the cause to be completely justifiable), she had to cash in all her life savings to pay for the overseas tuition at the Uni. She is going to not have classes for roughly a quarter of the academic quarter/term. 

On inquiry, she was told they are not planning to schedule make-up classes to cover the missed material. The Uni is not planning to refund any of the fees paid by the students for the incomplete teaching they are going to have received. The Uni says that since they will still graduate, there is no harm done and so does not see a need for a partial refund. 

This would appear to be a breach of contract - she paid for a certain level of tuition from faculty (advertised as a certain number of faculty contact hours in a given term), and isn't going to get it. Thus, she is getting only 75% of the product she paid for.

I hope the Uni and their Union get this sorted out, as I'm not able to offer anything other than to cluck sympathetically, as I don't know much about UK contract law.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:03:10 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1891
Re: The faculty are on strike
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 12:57:10 PM »
If it helps, my wife is on strike and you can be assured she is not happy about it either. She regularly works on her day off (even though it infuriates me) to support her students.
And you can be certain that this is not a case of a powerful union forcing ridiculous rules on their employers.  This Union is so weak and beaten down that I'm surprised they managed to organise this strike at all.
I'm not completely up to date on all the details, but I believe this strike is solely about changes to people's pensions in a way that makes them dependent on the stock market.
I'm sorry your daughter is stuck in the middle and I encourage her to complain up a storm.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »
Yeah, the Daughter says that she may go take tea and sandwiches to the picketers.  This is DEFINITELY not about a rogue union. The Uni is trying to retroactively change the terms of employee pensions from (I believe) a defined benefit plan to something where the employees have to play the market.... My own uni employer made the switch a couple of years ago, but it was only for employees hired in after a certain future date. Nobody who had hired on under the old terms was impacted.  What the Unis are trying to do to the faculty and staff is just a travesty.

Oh, and you have not EVER heard someone who can complain as well as the Daughter.  ;D

I raised her right. I'm really, really proud of her.

Tell your wife to hang in there and I hope it works.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 02:22:11 PM »
Thanks Nan, that's really nice of you.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 02:23:30 PM »

Oh, and you have not EVER heard someone who can complain as well as the Daughter.  ;D

I may have her three-year-old-version at my house.   ;D

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 02:55:59 PM »
And I've got the 14 Year old master of complaints and debate.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 12:02:18 AM »
Well she'd give 'em a run for our money. They cancelled another one for Wednesday. Of course, since the Beast from the East is supposedly going to be hitting on that day, I'm not sure she could have made it to class anyway.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:13:49 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 11:08:12 AM »
My wife is on the picket line today in the freezing cold.

• Liked: 85
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »
My wife is on the picket line today in the freezing cold.

Power to her. Shall I take her a flask of coffee?

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
Power to her. Shall I take her a flask of coffee?
Only if you can find your way to Egham.  Turn left at the Magna Carta.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 01:19:09 PM »
Only if you can find your way to Egham.  Turn left at the Magna Carta.

Sorry, that's outside Zone 2, and I'm barred from small towns and villages for Having an Attitude.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 01:25:56 PM »
Do you get that banner ads about people in London trying to get mortgages that is illustrated by a woman with blue hair!??!! 
Nothing says London like blue hair.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 02:06:32 PM »
Do you get that banner ads about people in London trying to get mortgages that is illustrated by a woman with blue hair!??!! 
Nothing says London like blue hair.
That's because blue hair fronts like it doesn't give a toss, but actually requires massive commitment and upkeep.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
That's because blue hair fronts like it doesn't give a toss, but actually requires massive commitment and upkeep.

Less so than red though!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 10:42:26 PM »
Less so than red though!

Do you have trouble with reds? I can't get violet or blue to stay for anything, but reds take to my barnet like I should have been born ginger.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab