Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Those moments when you forget what the 'American' word is  (Read 3282 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Those moments when you forget what the 'American' word is
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 11:10:00 AM »
Can you imagine in our childhood having a bouncy castle rented for your birthday?   That certainly wasn't happening in my house. I only ever saw one trampoline until I moved here and every house has one.
Kids these days are spoiled rotten.

Yeah I never saw bouncy castles being rented for children's parties until I moved here...but I have seen it done once in the US. Wondering if maybe it's just because it's no longer some  new thing to have and the prices have changed so it's more affordable?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 11:35:21 AM »
Ooh, looking at my sister and husband's facebook business page, they call them Moon Bounces as well. Who knew??
 I know they bought all theirs off ebay at various times for really cheap (e.g. people buy them for a party once and then sell on.) . They charge a very reasonable rate for them and that includes setup, cleaning, and takedown. They actually have one that turns into a waterslide/pool.  Crazy! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »
We're having a party for the girl in April when she turns 4.  If we can swing it for under £300, I think we'll be doing well.   ::)

It's bonkers.  I could NOT convince my husband to just do a backyard BBQ though.

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 11:50:14 AM »
We're having a party for the girl in April when she turns 4.  If we can swing it for under £300, I think we'll be doing well.   ::)

It's bonkers.  I could NOT convince my husband to just do a backyard BBQ though.

WHAT?! Who doesn't love a good backyard BBQ?!

haha side question: can you leave the bounce house up an extra day so that I can have a bounce on it?! haha
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »

Geez.  Most of my birthdays I was lucky to get a cake and friends over.  At age 3, I had a shared birthday celebration with a girl from my preschool class whose mother had become best friends with my mother.  My mother made a train cake... four separate little cakes in the shape of train cars, with candy decorations.  Every time I saw the photo in my album when I was growing up, I thought how lavish that was (for her).

The next memorable birthday wasn't 'til I turned 8, when my dad organized all the games, and my big sister invited everybody she encountered in the weeks leading up to it.  Still just cake, ice cream, and games like red-light/green-light in the back yard (but with prizes... and my dad found a way to make every one of those unexpected guests to be a winner of something).

I did not have a £300+ birthday party at age 4.  Or anything resembling that at any age.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »
WHAT?! Who doesn't love a good backyard BBQ?!

haha side question: can you leave the bounce house up an extra day so that I can have a bounce on it?! haha

I lost the backyard BBQ battle.  Mainly due to weather.  What if it's pouring that day?  We can't fit 25/30 kids and their parents in our house...   ::)

My husband also doesn't think we have a big enough backyard... it's absolutely fine.

My fear at the moment is we invited 32 kids but can only have 25 at the party (gymnastics party).  We've had 13 yeses and only 1 no so far.  I'm just praying all the non-responses so far are regrets!!!!  Not too sure what we'll do if we end up with too many kids!!!

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »
I lost the backyard BBQ battle.  Mainly due to weather.  What if it's pouring that day?  We can't fit 25/30 kids and their parents in our house...   ::)

My husband also doesn't think we have a big enough backyard... it's absolutely fine.

My fear at the moment is we invited 32 kids but can only have 25 at the party (gymnastics party).  We've had 13 yeses and only 1 no so far.  I'm just praying all the non-responses so far are regrets!!!!  Not too sure what we'll do if we end up with too many kids!!!

Lol while he makes a valid point, if I learned anything since living here it's to just rent a canopy thing for the garden and you're rocking and rolling! hahah
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 111
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 12:47:33 PM »
Can you imagine in our childhood having a bouncy castle rented for your birthday?   That certainly wasn't happening in my house. I only ever saw one trampoline until I moved here and every house has one.

Oh my God! I only said that yesterday!!

Forget being thought of as Madonna. I sometimes think me and Jimbocz are the same person!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »

Three year old has a 10 foot trampoline in the backyard....   ::)

But she LOOOOOOOOOVES it and won't get off of it.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »

Is the limit for health and safety reasons, or because the party fee is set to a maximum of 25 kids?  Can you just pay extra if more kids show up?

Do the invitations say they're at a gymnastics place?  If not, you could change venue if you get too many confirmations.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
Is the limit for health and safety reasons, or because the party fee is set to a maximum of 25 kids?  Can you just pay extra if more kids show up?

Do the invitations say they're at a gymnastics place?  If not, you could change venue if you get too many confirmations.

No idea.  I'm hoping the limit is because it includes two coaches (which I'm sure is a ratio for health and safety).  If we end up over, I'm *hoping* we can increase the numbers and pay for an extra coach.  We'll cross that bridge when we get to it...

Yeah, the venue is listed.  But - we'll figure it out.  Seven kids MUST be unable to attend - right?!?  It's Easter holidays...  people need to go out of town!!!!

Keeping it as simple as possible otherwise.  Trays for food, a cake, and some balloons.  Trying to figure out how to keep the party bags as economically savvy as possible.

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 01:22:19 PM »
As for not remembering the words...Welcome to my world! That is me all the time.

I grew up in a household where I spoke English to my mother and Spanish to my father. If I didn't know a word in the language I was speaking, I just used what word I did know. Everyone in my hometown does this.

Spending the past 25 years with the Englishman, my language is all over the place. I will say English words to Americans, American words to the English and if I'm really stumped, I'll find the Spanish word.

On Friday, my kid fell over and knocked the front teeth out of his head, bashed his face pretty badly and had a lip that swelled out about three inches more than normal so he couldn't speak. At the emergency room, the doctor asked me what happened and this was my answer: "Adam was carrying a large, heavy box from the car to the...the...the...bordillo, no, I mean el cordon de la cera. You know, the bit of wall from the car park to the pavement...el bordillo." This went on for a little bit and I even demonstrated it. The word is "curb" 🤦🏻‍♀️

So, in American, the child was carrying a large heavy box and didn't see the curb and fell down face first on the sidewalk.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 01:27:41 PM »
Oh my God! I only said that yesterday!!

Forget being thought of as Madonna. I sometimes think me and Jimbocz are the same person!

I don't mind being the same person as you but I'm not marrying some English bloke.  Even though I'm sure me and him would get along fine.

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »
I don't mind being the same person as you but I'm not marrying some English bloke.  Even though I'm sure me and him would get along fine.

Ha ha ha

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »

Brother Husbands!

Sponsored Links