Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Import duties after one year  (Read 1007 times)

• Liked: 0
Import duties after one year
« on: February 27, 2018, 06:04:27 AM »
We moved to Yorkshire in Sept 2016. We were rushed because of declining health of parents. We were moving into a small cottage that was furnished so left much of our possessions in the US, planning to bring them over at a later date. The things we brought were shipped with UPak/WeShip and in general, we were satisfied with that arrangement. They could have been a little more responsive in answering questions about documentation, etc. We used a C3 form to qualify our goods. We now have a much bigger house and want to bring over more things but discover that the transfer or residence allowed for under the C3 document expires after one year. It's possible that we can get an exemption from the TOR1 limit of 12 months given the circumstances of our original move but my question is if anyone can tell me what to expect in the way of import costs (not the shipping costs but the charges levied by HMRC) for used, household items if I'm shipping them from the US to the UK outside of the TOR1 allowance. Thanks.

• Liked: 1
Re: Import duties after one year
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
I also posted a question about moving belongings after 12 months back in November but have yet to receive any input unfortunately.

It's possible that we can get an exemption from the TOR1 limit of 12 months given the circumstances of our original move but my question is if anyone can tell me what to expect in the way of import costs (not the shipping costs but the charges levied by HMRC) for used, household items if I'm shipping them from the US to the UK outside of the TOR1 allowance. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, are you able to share any more about your possible exemption from the ToR1 12-month limit?  How did you learn of this?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »
I also posted a question about moving belongings after 12 months back in November but have yet to receive any input unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, are you able to share any more about your possible exemption from the ToR1 12-month limit?  How did you learn of this?

It's that we don't know.  The ToR is new and only started last year.  Us oldies came in before this rule.   :-\\\\

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 08:04:53 AM »
I filled out a TOR1 request and included with it a letter explaining our circumstances. I will post to this forum when I get a response. Has anyone shipped personal possessions from the US to the UK that were not part of a transfer of residence?

• Liked: 716
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 01:19:38 PM »
When my son moved last year from Texas he told me the ToR folks were very helpful when he called them. Might well be worth a call to explain the situation and get their feedback.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »
That's a great suggestion. Thanks for suggesting it. I will attempt to call them on Monday.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »
See my last reply under the heading of "Moving personal possessions AFTER 12 months"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab