Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: You folks be safe out there!  (Read 2157 times)

• Liked: 672
Re: You folks be safe out there!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 08:41:43 AM »
The lane into our flats is impassable this morning, due to drifts. The lane is cut into the ground a bit and the wind has filled it up with snow.  This is like the winters of my early childhood - except that we went to school when there was snow and ice on the street. The school buses could run, and did. There were very few times we had a snow day. I do remember it would snow quite often, and  the snow would stay on the ground and the next would come, etc., all winter. It wasn't until late March or early April that it would start to melt. "April showers bring May flowers" was the little ditty we had.

But that was thousands of miles (and years away) from Scotland. I had to put tinfoil over the air extractor grills in the bathrooms and the kitchen because the wind was being blown in through them. It kept blowing the foil off, so I finally had to resort to taping it down! They were blowing off while I was trying to get the tape off the roll to stick onto the wall!  Brrrr out there!

The Daughter was talking last night about wanting to walk to our favorite tea shop (a mile each way) "if it wasn't too bad" this morning. That ain't a gonna happen! (The shop won't be open and my lungs would seize up within 200 yards of the front door with this wind.)  Trying to get the nerve up to bundle up and take the birdseed sandwich out. The birds have been visiting and not finding much left, and the poor little things are sitting on the fence and holding on for dear life, obviously hungry. Just watched a big black bird land on a roof across the way and end up in a pile of snow on the ground. The snow seems to be very powdery.

We're having curry for lunch. Curry is good when it's cold out.  :) And today may be a day to break out the board games or jigsaw puzzles, or perhaps get into a good book.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 08:43:58 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 149
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 08:47:04 AM »
Electric fire going downstairs.....temp up to 16.6 a while ago. Oil radiator going upstairs...one door shut but it's doing well and it's 17.5 upstairs. I'm typing on the desktop....and sitting on a heating pad. Heating pads are great.
Fred

• Liked: 584
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
Took almost 2 hours to drive home from work yesterday (22 miles).  No way am I going in today, as the roads are now even worse. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 09:03:00 AM »
I spent over an hour in the car this morning and only got less than a mile down the road.  My car gave a good slide and the numerous "stay off the road" warnings finally caused me to turn for home.  My children's nursery is making the decision at lunch if they will close early.  I figured by the time I got into work, I'd just be forced to turn right around to get the kids.

I have work and will work from home but not sure if it's "allowed" at the new job.  I may be taking the next two days unpaid as I'm on a very long probation period.  But it is pretty awful out there this morning and just not right to encourage people to come in.  I'll be saying something to the owner if they do not "excuse" people.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 09:25:32 AM »
  Trying to get the nerve up to bundle up and take the birdseed sandwich out. The birds have been visiting and not finding much left, and the poor little things are sitting on the fence and holding on for dear life, obviously hungry. Just watched a big black bird land on a roof across the way and end up in a pile of snow on the ground. The snow seems to be very powdery.

Could you open a window and put it on the sill? Even if it blew away, they'd still get it and if it stayed there, you'd get a front row seat!  :)

• Liked: 672
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »
I wish - there is snow on the sills at least six inches deep. If I shove it off, more will accumulate. And we're up three flights, so I don't think they'll see it up here. If it falls off it'll go into the drifts below.... Will go out in a couple of hours. Am trying to rig up a suet ball in the freezer right now, as well, to tie to the fence.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 09:47:27 AM »
I spent over an hour in the car this morning and only got less than a mile down the road.  My car gave a good slide and the numerous "stay off the road" warnings finally caused me to turn for home.  My children's nursery is making the decision at lunch if they will close early.  I figured by the time I got into work, I'd just be forced to turn right around to get the kids.

I have work and will work from home but not sure if it's "allowed" at the new job.  I may be taking the next two days unpaid as I'm on a very long probation period.  But it is pretty awful out there this morning and just not right to encourage people to come in.  I'll be saying something to the owner if they do not "excuse" people.

Glad you made it home safe. I hope they do pay you.  :)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
Everything in our rental is electric...if power goes we freeze lol...no hot water, no radiators (house house the ones that fill up with water, I miss forced air heat, radiators just don't seem to get hot enough). We lost our boiler over Christmas, that sucked and no one was available bc well Christmas. We were stuck with no heat, no hot water for I think 4 days.  It had a gas fireplace but maybe they didn't keep it maintained bc it has one of those electric heaters now...shame, would love a wood burning fire or at least gas.

I am just glad that I don't need to leave the house for the first time, I am getting spoiled from the ability to work from home...apart from not being able to figure out how to file my taxes it's great lol.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:03:51 AM by ConsuelaLemonPledge »
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 95
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »
Please everyone don't forget the birds in this weather. Even if you don't have food for them, they'd thank you for some water.  :)
We've been trying to keep the poor things fed here. Luckily I bought a couple of tall feeders last week and 5 kg of seed! Still struggling to keep them clear for long though.
FLR (M) Timeline:
Submitted Application Online: 14/10/20
Biometrics Appointment/Document Scanned: 13/11/20
Received Decision: 8/3/21 - APPROVED

ILR Timeline:
Submitted Application Online: 30/08/23
Biometrics Appointment/Documents Scanned: 29/09/23
Received Decision: 24/11/23 APPROVED

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 11:12:36 AM »
Bright blue skies and last night was very clear with lots of stars and moonlight. No snow at all, no wind up in the Scottish Highlands. Bloody freezing, but perfect weather otherwise. I'm certainly not complaining, I don't want it. 

Hope folks stay safe if you are impacted. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »
Bright blue skies and last night was very clear with lots of stars and moonlight. No snow at all, no wind up in the Scottish Highlands. Bloody freezing, but perfect weather otherwise. I'm certainly not complaining, I don't want it. 

Hope folks stay safe if you are impacted.

I'm shocked that you've not had snow!!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »
Yeah, we're normally worse than anyone, and we've definitely had our share this winter.  Just not this time. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »
I’ve been in a B&B near work since Monday night - my house is only 7 miles away but I haven’t been able to risk going back and maybe not making it back into work.

Hoping to get home this afternoon, but not sure how the roads will be. Might end up leaving the car at work and walking 2.5 hours in the strong winds and freezing temps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »
I’ve been in a B&B near work since Monday night - my house is only 7 miles away but I haven’t been able to risk going back and maybe not making it back into work.

Hoping to get home this afternoon, but not sure how the roads will be. Might end up leaving the car at work and walking 2.5 hours in the strong winds and freezing temps!

I would say you are crazy, but I think I may walk to get my kids from nursery.  But that's only a mile each way.  7 miles in this weather is pretty intense!

Are you off for a few days?

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
I would say you are crazy, but I think I may walk to get my kids from nursery.  But that's only a mile each way.  7 miles in this weather is pretty intense!

Are you off for a few days?

Yeah, after today I’m not due back in work until next Wednesday... so I want to get home :P.

We’ve had about 10cm of snow and now it’s drifting, so a lot of the roads are closed/blocked and I’m not sure I want to risk driving it (there’s a 200ft hill between work and my house). One of my colleagues left the office at about 8:45 am yesterday after a night shift and he called us at about 11am to say he wasn’t even halfway home yet (it’s only a 6-mile journey)... he had to abandon the car and walk the last few miles, and he’s walking back in tonight.

Sponsored Links