Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wearing a wig/airport security  (Read 3998 times)

• Liked: 0
Wearing a wig/airport security
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »
Hi all. I really didn't want to have to announce this to the world, but I will be traveling later this year and need to know something.

Due to extreme hair loss over the past several years, I now wear a wig full time.  There are metal clips in the wig. Will this cause a problem going through airport security? If so, will I have to go to a separate room and remove the wig?

• Liked: 1327
Re: Wearing a wig/airport security
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 11:41:44 AM »
Unfortunately, the clips probably will set off the metal detector and/or be spotted in the body scanner if you use that.  Just notify the screener in advance.  They shouldn't make you remove the wig, but they may pull you aside for additional screening including patting your head to verify that it's just the metal clips and no other metal on your head.

Here's a video of someone with experience: 
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 01:28:00 PM »
Thank you so much and thank you for the link.  ;D  I'm a bit nervous about it, but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  I'm certainly not going through the airport wig-less.  :o ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 01:46:55 PM »
Thank you so much and thank you for the link.  ;D  I'm a bit nervous about it, but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  I'm certainly not going through the airport wig-less.  :o ;D

I've had one or two awkward TSA experiences for a different health reason.  One agent actually argued with me about my own treatment and was adamant that I must have metal instrumentation that I do not have!  So, I understand your little bit of anxiety.  But just try not to be too anxious.  It'll probably be a complete non-event on the day.  Most agents are reasonable and compassionate.  Even if they have to do extra checks, they'll usually do it in a discreet way, or pull you to a privacy area.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. How awful/annoying!  I know my problem is very minor compared to a lot of people. In the end, it will probably be the least of my worries as I hate, hate, hate, haaaaaaaaaaaaaate flying. I'm not afraid of crashing. I just hate being shoved into a tiny seat for hours on end, barely able to move, etc. Last time I had a panic attack. UGH!!  Small wonder why I haven't been home in 6.5 years!  Wish I had the time to take a cruise over there, or the money to buy first class tickets!

Hmmm........just thinking out loud here. I wonder if I could find plastic wig clips and remove the metal ones.  Oooh, I will have to look into that.

Thank you again!

Sponsored Links