Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: off the wall question about exhaust fans  (Read 5293 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: off the wall question about exhaust fans
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
... and they will have to prise my 50 year old dumb meters out of my cold, dead hands.

I feel exactly the same way!  ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »
... and they will have to prise my 50 year old dumb meters out of my cold, dead hands.

Yup.

I'm happy for some limited "smart" things.  We're going to get Philips Hue lighting, for instance.  But I do not want all the Internet of Things.  I don't want some databank storing my refrigerator stock.  I don't want my activities "anonymized and aggregated" and tracked somewhere.  I don't like algorithms that try to anticipate my needs, thus limiting my range of choice.  I just want to think for myself.

Now, get off my lawn!  *shakes fist*
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 672
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 04:26:11 PM »
Hahahah.

This is as high tech as I get. Having the meter send in readings for me. I can tell it to send them half-hourly, hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly.  Beats having some schlub come out here without prior warning and want to read them! ;)

Now, the talking thingies - Alexa, the things for the car that give you directions.... I draw the line at those.  I don't want anything listening to me. Nor do I want something that could easily direct me to drive over a cliff to be telling me where to turn.  The Daughter was in a car a couple of years ago where one of those (Tom-tom?) things was installed. It took them out to a rural place they never intended to go! Very scary. No, she says it was Siri that wanted to kill them....

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »
I love Siri and use her to help me navigate frequently.  I've got a hands free set up in my car so I can say "Hey Siri" and make her do my bidding.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 07:23:40 PM »
they will have to prise my 50 year old dumb meters out of my cold, dead hands.

Co-incidentally, I had a call from my energy supply company just after I wrote this,  from a frighteningly pushy person wanting to know exactly why I didn't want a smart meter, why not, what had I heard about them, did I not know how much better my life would be if I had one??? In the end I had to put the phone down, it actually left me a little shaken.

So I had a bit of a look and found that the roll out is not going so well!  ;D

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/gas-electric/smart-meter-roll-out-question-fraction-households-sign/

And don't worry guys, they are not compulsory!  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab