Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Feltham Area  (Read 2043 times)

• Liked: 0
Feltham Area
« on: March 10, 2018, 05:34:37 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm relatively new to the site; very few posts, but I've learned so much from reading. Thanks for all your insights!

My husband has received a job offer to teach at a school in Feltham. We are beginning the process of looking for areas to live, and we would love some advice as none of our UK friends have lived close to there.

Is Feltham a nice area to live, or should we look in surrounding communities? We are in our late 20s, and have no kids. We want to live somewhere near other young couples possibly with lots of things to do. We also plan to rely on public transportation. Is this possible in Feltham?

Also, does anyone have insight on what we should budget for monthly for housing? We would only need a 1 bedroom apartment, preferably within walking distance to a train station. Furnished would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Feltham Area
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »
This is a furnished 1 bedroom near the train station.  It's listed at £1,100 a month.  Council tax will likely be another £100 a month (you pay the real estate taxes here versus the landlord).

Jimbo lives in Twickenham which is next door.  I'm sure he'll pop along tomorrow and tell you more. 

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:14:04 AM »
Hello, like KFDANCER says I live in Twickenham which is very close to Feltham.  Feltham is fine, it's a green suburb neighbourhood close to Heathrow.  It's mostly got good transport links because of Heathrow and also lots of plane noise depending on the flight path.  You'll be fine there without a car. 

Feltham also has some good and bad neighbourhoods but that's probably the same everywhere.  I don't know any specific places as I've never looked into living there.  It's certainly not  as posh overall as some other close by areas. 

I'd suggest looking in Twickenham if your budget allows.  It's still close enough that your husband could easily commute by bike, but it's closer to the leafy riverside town of your dreams

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 10:19:20 AM »
In terms of budget, Rightmove is your friend and will tell you what rents are like in the area.  KFDANCER'S ballpark figure is pretty accurate.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:29:53 AM »
In terms of budget, Rightmove is your friend and will tell you what rents are like in the area.  KFDANCER'S ballpark figure is pretty accurate.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions

Thanks! That's very helpful. I've started perusing Rightmove. I forgot to mention that we plan on bringing our cat. How big of an issue will this be when looking for places to live? I see some listings say no pets allowed. Is it safe to assume cats are ok on the listings that don't say that?

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:41:00 AM »
Thanks! That's very helpful. I've started perusing Rightmove. I forgot to mention that we plan on bringing our cat. How big of an issue will this be when looking for places to live? I see some listings say no pets allowed. Is it safe to assume cats are ok on the listings that don't say that?

I think the majority of listings will say no pets, but if you contact the owner you'll find that sometimes they're fine (probably with a fee or deposit).  "No pets" doesn't always mean no pets.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
You'll have fewer options and likely pay a bit of a premium (and a higher deposit) with a cat, but you'll still have options. 

Sponsored Links