Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: mascara out of boxes and eggs out of the fridge!  (Read 7000 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: mascara out of boxes and eggs out of the fridge!
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »
How about clotted cream?  I couldn't do it cause it would seem too sweet but it's thick enough.

Oh gawd, no.  The whole point of sour cream is it's sour.  Clotted cream is nice on a crumpet, but do not put it on my baked potatoes or my tacos!

I would reckon making thick sour cream is easy - most likely just a matter of straining it through muslin or cheesecloth? 

That's not a bad idea for thickening it up.  But it still won't make up for the complete lack of flavour in the UK variety.  Am I the only one who feels this way?  I can't be...  *puzzled*
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2018, 05:58:33 PM »
I really like a butter and cheese sandwich. That is one of my Dad's specialties and that's how he made us sandwiches as kids.

A piece and cheese, as we call it in the Weedge and its environs! Love it, especially when it's been in my bag for a couple of hours and becomes room temp and slightly squidgy.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »
That's not a bad idea for thickening it up.  But it still won't make up for the complete lack of flavour in the UK variety.  Am I the only one who feels this way?  I can't be...  *puzzled*

You are definitely not the only person I've heard complain about the sour cream.  But me and my simple taste buds do not know the difference.  Yes, the texture is VERY runny here but I'm cool with that.  Granted, I haven't had sour cream in nearly a year and I'd sell my soul if it meant I could have some...

Jimbo - clotted cream as a substitute for sour cream?  Sometimes I think we need to take your American passport away...   ;D

• Liked: 585
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2018, 06:03:00 PM »
Oh gawd, no.  The whole point of sour cream is it's sour.  Clotted cream is nice on a crumpet, but do not put it on my baked potatoes or my tacos!

Clotted cream is not, in any universe, a substitute for sour cream!!   :-X

But I honestly can't tell a difference in taste between sour cream and crème fraiche.  I tend to buy crème fraiche as it's thicker, but I use it in all dishes that require sour cream.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
But I honestly can't tell a difference in taste between sour cream and crème fraiche.  I tend to buy crème fraiche as it's thicker, but I use it in all dishes that require sour cream.

Exactly!  There's scarcely any difference in flavour.  I, too, buy creme fraiche because it's thicker.  But both creme fraiche and UK sour cream are far too bland to really satisfy my US sour cream needs.  I use them because something is better than nothing, but I really really miss proper sour cream.  :(
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »
Also we totally keep our butter here on the counter at my family’s in the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did too. Had a nice compact 50's butter dish. It was great. Wish I stole one from my parents...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »
All right, I probably deserved that about the clotted cream. Maybe some ricotta, but now we are moving into cheese territory.

JFKimberley, have you been to the Polish store?  They've got an endless supply of different smetena.  Pick up some ham while you are there.

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2018, 10:03:45 AM »
All right, I probably deserved that about the clotted cream. Maybe some ricotta, but now we are moving into cheese territory.

JFKimberley, have you been to the Polish store?  They've got an endless supply of different smetena.  Pick up some ham while you are there.

RICOTTA?!?!  <smacks forehead>

• Liked: 533
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2018, 10:04:49 AM »
They've got an endless supply of different smetena.

Yeah, sort of like your sexual organ...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1892
mascara out of boxes and eggs out of the fridge!
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »
Yeah, sort of like your sexual organ...

Your mom didnt mind!
https://goo.gl/images/eNPfq8

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:48:38 AM by jimbocz »

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2018, 11:50:56 AM »
I am going to come up with something....I can't think of anything right now....but when I do.....when I do....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2018, 12:00:57 PM »
The Tar Heels are, and always have been, overrated.

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2018, 12:10:55 PM »
Here's one!

I was driving through Jimbo's part of North Carolina one time and there was a sign that said "Mens' Activity Center 5 Miles". Then one that said "Mens' Activity Center 2 Mils" (they had spelled 'miles' wrong - because of the poor quality of the local education system).

But anyhow, two miles later I see a morose goat tied to a lamp post.

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2018, 12:19:53 PM »
Here's one!

I was driving through Jimbo's part of North Carolina one time and there was a sign that said "Mens' Activity Center 5 Miles". Then one that said "Mens' Activity Center 2 Mils" (they had spelled 'miles' wrong - because of the poor quality of the local education system).

But anyhow, two miles later I see a morose goat tied to a lamp post.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2018, 12:28:34 PM »
Who has asked Siri "What Does the Fox Say?"

I have! Mine also sings queen haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab