Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is there anything like PODS in London?  (Read 801 times)

• Liked: 12
Is there anything like PODS in London?
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:30:12 PM »
Hey,

I'm awaiting a visa and have just been told by my friend who is storing my things in London that I need to put my stuff in storage within the week as she is moving. Sigh.  It's not easy to move when you're not in the country!  ::)

I was wondering if anyone knows of a company like PODS that would bring a mobile storage unit to her house? I can get people to pack it, but no one with a car.

I don't have loads of stuff to store (wardrobe, few boxes, dresser, chair) so it'd be a small space. I've previously moved in a mini-van with no problems.

I'll be moving from London to Yorkshire in 4 months anyway, so it's not a long-term storage situation. Ideally, I could move the storage unit to Yorkshire without having to load and unload over and over, but I may be dreaming of a USA solution in a UK world.  ;)

Any thoughts??
UK Fiancé Visa (Priority)
Docs Sent: 29 Jan 2018
Decision Made Email: 12 March (28 BD)

FLR (M) Visa
Docs Sent: 14 Sept 2018
BRP Received: 17 Oct 2018

• Liked: 7
Re: Is there anything like PODS in London?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »
I haven't heard of that sort of thing existing here, but there are loads of "Man with a van" websites these days - Perhaps you could get someone to pick up from your friend's place and drop off at a storage facility? I think the one I used to move from West London to North London was www.anyvan.com - drivers essentially "bid" on your move, and you get to pick who to work with.

I'm not sure how you'd arrange access to the storage unit though. Hmmm. I wonder if there are some that can be done using a keycode rather than key. You may need to call around to places like SafeStore or BigYellow storage facilities to determine that level of detail.
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:53 PM »
Hey,

I'm awaiting a visa and have just been told by my friend who is storing my things in London that I need to put my stuff in storage within the week as she is moving. Sigh.  It's not easy to move when you're not in the country!  ::)

I was wondering if anyone knows of a company like PODS that would bring a mobile storage unit to her house? I can get people to pack it, but no one with a car.

I don't have loads of stuff to store (wardrobe, few boxes, dresser, chair) so it'd be a small space. I've previously moved in a mini-van with no problems.

I'll be moving from London to Yorkshire in 4 months anyway, so it's not a long-term storage situation. Ideally, I could move the storage unit to Yorkshire without having to load and unload over and over, but I may be dreaming of a USA solution in a UK world.  ;)

Any thoughts??

This company sounds like PODS:  https://www.bystored.com/

Looks like it'll run about £120/mo. for the amount you have...?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »
Could it be cheaper to let your friend sell the stuff on Ebay and perhaps just keep any personal stuff for you?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
I'm not in London, but I had to put all my stuff in storage for a while and I used a standard removals (moving) company that advertised storage. They brought a small container and loaded it up for me.  I think I paid something like £15/month for the actual storage and like £65 for the loading and £65 for the unloading.   (this was about 5 years ago for the loading and 3 years ago for the unloading)

I think the term you'd want to search for is 'container storage' or 'removals companies with storage' to narrow in on your specific location. 

Good luck! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links