Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Really boring thread about stuff that doesn't matter to anybody else.  (Read 1587 times)

• Liked: 1327
I'm warning you.  *points at topic*  This is just me going on about how happy I am right now.

A little over a week ago, my husband said he wanted to make a gift for one of his Salisbury friends.  My husband doesn't really like people.  I mean, he likes some individuals, but he just finds people to be tedious.  But our mechanic/friend doesn't annoy my husband.  The way my husband described him was, "Yes, out of all the Salisbury people I have met, he is the one true friend."

So when my husband wanted to make a gift for Glyn, a sign to hang in his shop, I got the details for what my husband wanted it to say/look like, and set to work designing it.  All we made was a sign.  Just a simple wooden sign carved into an oak board.  It's not fancy.  It's only significant to the person it was made for.  See, look:

But, man... my husband gave it to him this morning when he was dropping off our campervan for MOT and getting a ride to work from Glyn.  Just as they were about to leave to take my husband to work, Glyn ran back into his shop like an excited child to grab the sign, because he wanted to show it to the MOT guy.  This evening when they met up at the pub, my husband learned that Glyn had carried that sign around with him all day and showed it to everybody.  And he sent photos of it to people that he didn't see in person. He loves it.

It turns out, his birthday was a few days ago, and nobody said anything.  Not even his children.  So receiving this thing, made especially for him and with details that are significant to him... it was well-timed.

When emailing me about how it went, my husband said, "It was a satisfying gift giving. I was sad that you couldn't witness it, but glad that you were a part of making it happen."

But then -- and this is the part that really got me -- my husband added, "We made this awesome moment. I always wanted to do something with my life.  Since I met you, I feel like I have."

You guys, I melted.  This is the man I married.  This is why I let Home Office make me jump through all those (expletive) hoops.  Because my husband is awesome and he loves me.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Really boring thread about stuff that doesn't matter to anybody else.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 05:03:34 AM »
That is awesome....all of it!  :D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 08:26:05 AM »
I love everything about this story!!!!   [smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif]

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
I'm not surprised that Glyn is happy, that's a fantastic sign.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 11:16:06 AM »
I'm glad you shared this, the world needs happy threads!
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »
I felt silly sharing it right after I clicked post.  But now it's out there, so it gets to stay.  And that means I will have this memory saved for me.  If I ever need a reminder, I can just search here for the story of Glyn's sign.  Wheee!  Also, today is the day!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:42:08 AM »
Also, today is the day!

The last Friday?  :D

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »
I felt silly sharing it right after I clicked post.  But now it's out there, so it gets to stay.  And that means I will have this memory saved for me.  If I ever need a reminder, I can just search here for the story of Glyn's sign.  Wheee!  Also, today is the day!

I LOVE that you shared this story! 

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »
The last Friday?  :D

Yes!  I know when he gets home, it will probably feel anticlimactic, but right now it feels like the most exciting day since our offer was accepted for House.

I need to make a card for him.  I meant to buy a gift, but nothing seemed interesting.  I should cook a special meal, too.

I LOVE that you shared this story! 

Yay!  Thank you all for being such amazing and supportive friends.

I love UK Yankee.  I don't know any other group of people that can understand the particular obstacles we face.  Our stories may all be unique, but we all share the same complication of Home Office dictating many of our choices and bleeding us for every last bit of spare income... and just being a threat looming over us.

But we are on the home stretch.  And many of you are already across the finish line.  We (almost) did it!

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 12:25:55 PM »

Yay!  Thank you all for being such amazing and supportive friends.

Awww! I almost feel that I could share my kitchen photos now! ...:D

* but not the utility room!  ;)

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 12:27:52 PM »
Our stories may all be unique, but we all share the same complication of Home Office dictating many of our choices and bleeding us for every last bit of spare income... and just being a threat looming over us.

The Home Office has now been replaced by nursery fees.  Ugh, the cost of kids is extortionate.  Yet, the actual value we receive at our nursery is incredible.  It's just our biggest bill, so I will still moan.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
The Home Office has now been replaced by nursery fees.  Ugh, the cost of kids is extortionate.  Yet, the actual value we receive at our nursery is incredible.  It's just our biggest bill, so I will still moan.

On the bright side, nursery can't abruptly expel you from the UK. 

The cost of kids is extortionate!  We couldn't afford them.  Which is good, because my husband Did Not Want kids.  And I was probably too old when we met, anyway.  There's no way a kid I had at that age would've turned out genetically intact.  And that would've meant even more extortionate cost.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »
On the bright side, nursery can't abruptly expel you from the UK. 

The cost of kids is extortionate!  We couldn't afford them.  Which is good, because my husband Did Not Want kids.  And I was probably too old when we met, anyway.  There's no way a kid I had at that age would've turned out genetically intact.  And that would've meant even more extortionate cost.

They can't expel me from the UK - but could you imagine if they decided they couldn't take my kids anymore?!?  I'd be up sh*t creek!  The waitlists in my area are real.   :o

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »
They can't expel me from the UK - but could you imagine if they decided they couldn't take my kids anymore?!?  I'd be up sh*t creek!  The waitlists in my area are real.   :o

It's too soon to tell with the boy, but your girl sounds delightful.  I think you'll be fine.  But just in case, you should put your boy on a couple of wait lists... just in case you need an alternative.  ;)

When does school start over here?  What do you do for afterschool care?  Ah!  I know nothing about care for children in the UK!  My entire experience is US-based.

Edit: "When" means "At what age".

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 01:20:09 PM »
It's too soon to tell with the boy, but your girl sounds delightful.  I think you'll be fine.  But just in case, you should put your boy on a couple of wait lists... just in case you need an alternative.  ;)

When does school start over here?  What do you do for afterschool care?  Ah!  I know nothing about care for children in the UK!  My entire experience is US-based.

Edit: "When" means "At what age".

Alice will start reception this September - at FOUR.  I think it's WAY too young but she's already sounding out words to read them and write stuff, as she thinks it's fun.  So I'm not worried that it's too early for her.

They have before and after school clubs.  So she'll stay and play basically for three hours after school ends.  Not too shabby.  You pay, of course, but it's there!

The baby is super sweet and very well liked at nursery.  Only he sees hair and he MUST pull it!  So they are all keeping their hair pulled back pretty tight these days! 

Sponsored Links