Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pass Plus Drivers course to "significantly reduce" insurance costs  (Read 636 times)

• Moving to London area late 2019 - early 2020
    • Our band - Ockham's Razor
  • Liked: 42
I just read about this Pass Plus course that you can take to significantly reduce insurance costs. This is the first I've read of this and I've been reading a lot of blogs about people getting their licenses and the cost of insurance and all that.

https://www.gov.uk/pass-plus

Just wanted to make sure there was a post about it and find out if anyone had taken it and if it does indeed significantly reduce the cost of insurance.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Pass Plus Drivers course to "significantly reduce" insurance costs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:14:14 AM »
I don't know anyone who has taken it in real life.  The driving lessons are so expensive that the gain for someone who is not a new driver isn't likely worth it.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
I never bothered with it and I don't think I know of anyone who took the Pass Plus course either (I learned to drive at 17 here in the UK, so all my friends were learning at the same time and none of us did the Pass Plus).

As far as I could tell, the only real advantage of taking the Pass Plus was to learn how to drive on a motorway, but my parents could teach me how to do that for free, so I didn't see the point of spending my money on it... especially as I had already spent over £1,000 on learning to drive, all the while being a high school student earning only about £60 per week (about half of it went on driving lessons).

Also, they're supposed to be introducing motorway driving into the main driving test sometime this year anyway, so that won't be an advantage of Pass Plus anymore.

I'm not sure how it affects insurance rates. I don't think my insurance was all that high, but back then (2001) they were allowed to charge lower rates for female drivers (I remember my brothers' insurance a fair bit higher than mine when they got their licences).

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »

I'm not sure how it affects insurance rates. I don't think my insurance was all that high, but back then (2001) they were allowed to charge lower rates for female drivers (I remember my brothers' insurance a fair bit higher than mine when they got their licences).

My husband's cousin was able to save more by having a black box fitted versus pass plus, so she took that option.

Sponsored Links