Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Negotiating house prices  (Read 8871 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Negotiating house prices
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2018, 08:51:26 AM »
UPDATE: It took f-o-r-e-v-e-r, but we finally closed on the house on Monday! I found a good mortgage broker and a good solicitor and they did most of the heavy lifting. The delays were mostly due to the seller's chain and some last-minute red-tape nonsense. But it's done! We're going to start painting this weekend, and I am so excited. After eight years of magnolia I can't wait to put some colour on my walls! MY OWN walls! Yay!

I've been wondering how it was going!  CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

I've fallen in love with the Farrow & Ball color "Cornforth White".  If you fall in love with a "fancy" color, most paint places can match them.  Johnstone's paint (which I've really liked) has all the Farrow & Ball color codes in their computer, so you can pick one of the F&B colors and have it mixed into Johnstone's paint.  BARGAIN!  ;) 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »
Yay historyenne! So amazing to have your own house, paint your own walls, do whatever you want with no landlords yelling at you or keeping your deposit.  Congrats!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »
I've been wondering how it was going!  CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

I've fallen in love with the Farrow & Ball color "Cornforth White".  If you fall in love with a "fancy" color, most paint places can match them.  Johnstone's paint (which I've really liked) has all the Farrow & Ball color codes in their computer, so you can pick one of the F&B colors and have it mixed into Johnstone's paint.  BARGAIN!  ;) 

Hmmm, that's something to consider, though Farrow&Ball is made just down the road from us and there's a dedicated store in our town, so the easiest thing is just to get the paint from them, though they are expensive. I'll look into Johnstone's though. Thanks!
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 113
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »
Hmmm, that's something to consider, though Farrow&Ball is made just down the road from us and there's a dedicated store in our town, so the easiest thing is just to get the paint from them, though they are expensive. I'll look into Johnstone's though. Thanks!

I picked out the colors from Farrow & Ball and Craig & Rose and our decorator had them color matched at Johnstones. Much cheaper and to be honest couldn’t really tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2018, 10:17:43 AM »
We really like F&B paint for the finish.  The colours can be matched, but we didn't think the finish was the same at all.  F&B goes on nice and you use very little, compared to other paints.  My in-laws, who seem to redecorate their house constantly (as a hobby, not because of shabbiness) just tried F&B paint based upon our recommendation (had always been put off by the price) and they were super impressed (and that's saying something for them, trust me).   All depends on what you want though.   :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
We really like F&B paint for the finish.  The colours can be matched, but we didn't think the finish was the same at all.  F&B goes on nice and you use very little, compared to other paints.  My in-laws, who seem to redecorate their house constantly (as a hobby, not because of shabbiness) just tried F&B paint based upon our recommendation (had always been put off by the price) and they were super impressed (and that's saying something for them, trust me).   All depends on what you want though.   :)

*lurking and taking mental notes for Someday™*
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »

Honestly, I want the F&B. I don't intend to be doing this again for a while, and I agree with you that the finishes are wonderful. There's a lot of high-gloss white in the house right now and I can't think of any paint I hate more. F&B do some lovely chalky matte finishes and that's really what I'm after.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 113
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »
Yes it’s your house!

We chose Johnstones too because we have a toddler and know we’ll be redecorating sooner than we would like to at some point. Like when he starts having an opinion for his own room haha!

#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »
Yes it’s your house!

We chose Johnstones too because we have a toddler and know we’ll be redecorating sooner than we would like to at some point. Like when he starts having an opinion for his own room haha!

I am having great difficulty in getting my 15 month old to understand he cannot touch the wallpaper in the lounge.  I'm not even going to tell you guys how much it cost.  HE CANNOT TOUCH!!!!!

The 4 year old knows it's worth more than her.  She doesn't touch it.  ;D

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
I am having great difficulty in getting my 15 month old to understand he cannot touch the wallpaper in the lounge.  I'm not even going to tell you guys how much it cost.  HE CANNOT TOUCH!!!!!

The 4 year old knows it's worth more than her.  She doesn't touch it.  ;D
Save up for years of therapy

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2018, 03:29:24 PM »
Save up for years of therapy

I know, right?!?  I suspect my grandkids will be allow to draw on the walls to express their creativity at her house.  LOL!

• Liked: 387
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »
Late to the party, but I just saw this so...

Congratulations!!!!! 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab