Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Life in the UK test...again  (Read 2907 times)

• Liked: 149
Life in the UK test...again
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
This is getting nuts. We can't seem to get my middle name on anything. The bank (Lloyds) corrected my name to a full first and last name....but the software won't allow them to put my middle name on a statement. Called the council tax folks.....long discussion....no problem they said, we will send out a new statement with everything on it (went over very carefully how to spell my middle name etc)......nope, just full first and last name. I believe my wife already tried one of the utility companies with no luck on changing it. Since the council tax people are the only ones who sounded even remotely positive and possibly doing it, we called today to see if they could take my wife's name off the council tax and just have mine if that somehow allowed my middle name to be used.......15 minutes later still no answer. I don't see how the US passport office, the UK drivers license, the BRP office etc can put my middle name on things but nobody else can.
Fred

• Liked: 6110
Re: Life in the UK test...again
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »
Keep going with the council Fred, sounds like they will get it done for you eventually.

I was able to add my husband's middle name with no problem at all with EDF so I didn't bother trying anywhere else.
I also took a meter reading every month which generated a new bill each time so used that as the foundation for the articles of mail for FLR and ILR.

The best news is that the latest tariff just ended and I've changed to their online (paperless) account and should now be saving around £200 per year!  ;D

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:57:35 AM »
Not meaning to hijack this one...

But just to ask.

My address on my bank statement is to

A N LASTNAME

But it has my whole name (First Middle Last) spelled out on the page in the statement. Will that count? My husband is arguing that it will. But I'm saying it's not on the address bit, so I don't think it will count.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:12:11 AM »

But just to ask.

A N LASTNAME

But it has my whole name (First Middle Last) spelled out on the page in the statement. Will that count? My husband is arguing that it will. But I'm saying it's not on the address bit, so I don't think it will count.

I think it will work.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »

But just to ask.

A N LASTNAME

I wouldn't risk it!

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »
I'm still going whacko....all it says on the online details is that whatever name you use to book your appointment must match the name on the photo ID. So by those rules, all I have to do is put my whole first/middle/last name and use my passport/uk drivers license or BRP on the booking appointment. Govt crap sucks......
Fred

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 05:29:23 PM »
I'm still going whacko....all it says on the online details is that whatever name you use to book your appointment must match the name on the photo ID. So by those rules, all I have to do is put my whole first/middle/last name and use my passport/uk drivers license or BRP on the booking appointment. Govt crap sucks......

I actually can't find any more where it tells you that the postcode letter has to exactly match the id so I don't know if it's just me or if they have changed it.
It definitely used to be the case though because I specifically changed my husband's name on the utility bill only for that reason.

Either way, I would still definitely make sure that the names all match exactly because there is plenty of anecdotal evidence of people being turned away for not having an exact match and the test centres will be likely to stick to it because that's what they are used to. 

• Liked: 223
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 06:12:24 PM »
I saw several people turned away from the test when they were checking proof of address. That was in 2013, but I would still not risk it.

The safest thing would be to have your name on your proof of address exactly as the ID you registered with.

If there's even a whiff of doubt, play it safe - bring back up docs for proof of address and practice your best puppy dog eyes.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »
I saw several people turned away from the test when they were checking proof of address. That was in 2013, but I would still not risk it.

The safest thing would be to have your name on your proof of address exactly as the ID you registered with.
And yet another question.....one of the proof of address is your drivers license which has your exact address on....but it also states it must be within the last 3 months. Does a drivers license then only count if you use it within the first 3 months after getting it??? Or any time during its current use date?
Fred

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 06:24:11 PM »
And yet another question.....one of the proof of address is your drivers license which has your exact address on....but it also states it must be within the last 3 months. Does a drivers license then only count if you use it within the first 3 months after getting it??? Or any time during its current use date?

The photo licence is an exception to the three month rule.  https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/574714/LitUK-termsandconditions.pdf

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 06:44:41 PM »
The photo licence is an exception to the three month rule.  https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/574714/LitUK-termsandconditions.pdf
By this......just using my drivers license should be ok....yes? I can always take plenty of other ID/proof of address that doesn't quite have my WHOLE name on it. I might just go ahead and do it.....just need to get his crap over with.
Fred

• Liked: 223
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 06:57:15 PM »
By this......just using my drivers license should be ok....yes? I can always take plenty of other ID/proof of address that doesn't quite have my WHOLE name on it. I might just go ahead and do it.....just need to get his crap over with.

That's how I read it.

Just be sure to register under the name exactly as it appears on your UK licence.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 07:34:54 PM »
I've been looking I to this.

I would think if you use your license as your ID it can't be your proof of address.

But, since your a dude you don't have to worry about married and maiden names, as long as you use your passport as your ID and your license as proof of address and they match... You'll be fine.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
I actually can't find any more where it tells you that the postcode letter has to exactly match the id so I don't know if it's just me or if they have changed it.
It definitely used to be the case though because I specifically changed my husband's name on the utility bill only for that reason.

Either way, I would still definitely make sure that the names all match exactly because there is plenty of anecdotal evidence of people being turned away for not having an exact match and the test centres will be likely to stick to it because that's what they are used to.

From page 7 of the terms and conditions download.

If the following details are not correct on the day of your test, or
not consistent with the ID and postcode evidence provided,
you will not be allowed to take the test and will not receive a
refund of your test fee:
 names
 date of birth
 country you were born in
 nationality
 place of birth
 ID
 ID must be in date (unless this is a passport or
an immigration status document)
 proof of postcode (this must contain your name and you
must bring this with you to the test).

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 07:58:15 PM »
From page 7 of the terms and conditions download.

If the following details are not correct on the day of your test, or
not consistent with the ID and postcode evidence provided,
you will not be allowed to take the test and will not receive a
refund of your test fee:
 names
 date of birth
 country you were born in
 nationality
 place of birth
 ID
 ID must be in date (unless this is a passport or
an immigration status document)