Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: tips on flying with cats  (Read 2233 times)

• Liked: 0
tips on flying with cats
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:43:22 PM »
we will actually be relocating back to the US from UK with our 2 cats - plan is to fly in cabin, direct flight.

does anyone have tips? one of our cats is anxious in the carrier (the other is totally fine), i know feliway etc sprays exist, i would potentially consider medicating him (mildly!!) if it would be less stressful for him.

would it actually be better to have a layover somewhere, or just get the flight over and done with? there's not a direct flight from where we are, we would need to travel 1 1/2 hours to either Manchester or London for direct flight - worth the extra time in carrier traveling, or just go from our home city and switch planes?

what carriers do you recommend? we have large breed cats (ragdolls - they shouldn't be over weight restrictions though)

more nervous about moving them than anything else!

any anecdotes/advice is greatly appreciated

• Liked: 958
Re: tips on flying with cats
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 12:32:34 AM »
we will actually be relocating back to the US from UK with our 2 cats - plan is to fly in cabin, direct flight.

does anyone have tips? one of our cats is anxious in the carrier (the other is totally fine), i know feliway etc sprays exist, i would potentially consider medicating him (mildly!!) if it would be less stressful for him.

would it actually be better to have a layover somewhere, or just get the flight over and done with? there's not a direct flight from where we are, we would need to travel 1 1/2 hours to either Manchester or London for direct flight - worth the extra time in carrier traveling, or just go from our home city and switch planes?

what carriers do you recommend? we have large breed cats (ragdolls - they shouldn't be over weight restrictions though)

Unfortunately you cannot fly into the UK with pets in cabin. They have to travel as manifest cargo, but that is actually less stressful! I drove 1.5 hours  to the nearest city for a direct flight with mine and I think it was worth it. She's settled in well here. :) It would be significantly longer travel with connections so in the end it was a lot less travel for both of us.

You have to travel to France if you want to bring them in the cabin. There are a few threads on that for more info from the folks who have done it.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 08:53:13 AM »

I would consider flying them in cargo.  Less stressful for the animals, but more stressful for you.  I get that it's hard either way.

When I flew my cats a few times in the USA, I found having a baby blanket to put over the carrier really helpful.  People (like me) always get excited to see an animal in the airport but I wanted the experience to be as calm as possible for my kitties.

But honestly, after having flown them both in the cabin and in cargo, I do think cargo was easier on them (not me). 

Most vets won't give anything for animals flying, but it's worth asking.  I'd try anything on land first though in case kitty has a reaction.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 11:47:42 AM »
If you haven't seen it already, this is the government guidance on traveling with pets. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad Coming from the US we just need the 3rd party vet certificate completed by an USDA vet.

I forgot to mention, my cat had an extreme fear of being in the carrier. I didn't drug her and she managed just fine. (I do considered it but kept being too nervous to try the meds in case she had a bad reaction.) She's actually less afraid of the carrier and cars now! She had to stay with my in laws while we found a flat that allows cats, and she didn't fuss in the cab ride to our house at all. It's also worth mentioning you'll need airline compliant carriers for going in the cargo hold, and their size is dependent on your pet's measurements.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 12:57:50 PM »
If you haven't seen it already, this is the government guidance on traveling with pets. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad Coming from the US we just need the 3rd party vet certificate completed by an USDA vet.

I forgot to mention, my cat had an extreme fear of being in the carrier. I didn't drug her and she managed just fine. (I do considered it but kept being too nervous to try the meds in case she had a bad reaction.) She's actually less afraid of the carrier and cars now! She had to stay with my in laws while we found a flat that allows cats, and she didn't fuss in the cab ride to our house at all. It's also worth mentioning you'll need airline compliant carriers for going in the cargo hold, and their size is dependent on your pet's measurements.

They are traveling UK to USA so not as restricted as USA to UK.  :)

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »
They are traveling UK to USA so not as restricted as USA to UK.  :)
Bah I missed that! Need more coffee.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »

Unfortunately you cannot fly into the UK with pets in cabin. They have to travel as manifest cargo, but that is actually less stressful! I drove 1.5 hours  to the nearest city for a direct flight with mine and I think it was worth it. She's settled in well here. :) It would be significantly longer travel with connections so in the end it was a lot less travel for both of us.

You have to travel to France if you want to bring them in the cabin. There are a few threads on that for more info from the folks who have done it.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Oh ok, we are actually relocating from UK to the US so I know the legal specifics don’t really apply to a lot of people on the forum but any advice on actually flying with pets is great!

I’ve heard so many horror stories of animals flying in cargo and worry it would scar them somehow (if not worse!) :(

I’ll check the other threads for in cabin travel though. I have travelled previously with my small dog in cabin so that’s what kind of makes it seem like the go to but I know it’s a different experience for cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 02:45:40 PM »

Bah I missed that! Need more coffee.

hahhaa don’t worry, I feel you ok that! Sorry I replied before seeing later replies! Xx

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »
Oh ok, we are actually relocating from UK to the US so I know the legal specifics don’t really apply to a lot of people on the forum but any advice on actually flying with pets is great!

I’ve heard so many horror stories of animals flying in cargo and worry it would scar them somehow (if not worse!) :(

I’ll check the other threads for in cabin travel though. I have travelled previously with my small dog in cabin so that’s what kind of makes it seem like the go to but I know it’s a different experience for cats

Yeah, I missed that you were going the other direction! Sorry about that. KFdancer pointed out my mistake.

The cabin is loud and noisy so that's why the cargo hold tends to be easier on the animals. Its dark and just has the hum of the engines, no people walking up and down aisles and food smells etc.

Sponsored Links