Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Gender Pay Gap  (Read 2454 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Gender Pay Gap
« on: March 29, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
Ooh, my company finally reported theirs, just under the wire....
I'm not surprised. We fall with a higher gap in our company than the national average. This is despite being in a company that tries to promote women's leadership, diversity ,inclusion , LGTBQ group and allies, etc.
We're a STEM company and we know that there is a huge disparity in women in STEM, especially in the UK.  And well, there are very few senior leaders as women (though this is increasing).  Also, we are very good for employees to do part time work, so there are many women (some men do this too, but not as much), who work part time contracts (even say if you work 35 hours instead 37.5, you're considered part time, on 95% pay).

Lots of, ahem, men, are moaning a bit about it all, as "nonsense".......  I don't actually think people release it's not about the pay banding and the equal pay for equal work (not to mention, individual performance results), which there are regular reviews of these things anyways.  Hey, we all want more money and think we're working our tails off and doing a good job. I get that. 
I think it's important for such a company like mine to continue to ensure that diversity and diverse thinking is brought across all areas of the leadership and through the company.   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
Re: Gender Pay Gap
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
I'm not surprised. We fall with a higher gap in our company than the national average. This is despite being in a company that tries to promote women's leadership, diversity ,inclusion , LGTBQ group and allies, etc.
We're a STEM company and we know that there is a huge disparity in women in STEM, especially in the UK.  And well, there are very few senior leaders as women (though this is increasing).  Also, we are very good for employees to do part time work, so there are many women (some men do this too, but not as much), who work part time contracts (even say if you work 35 hours instead 37.5, you're considered part time, on 95% pay).

Lots of, ahem, men, are moaning a bit about it all, as "nonsense".......  I don't actually think people release it's not about the pay banding and the equal pay for equal work (not to mention, individual performance results), which there are regular reviews of these things anyways.  Hey, we all want more money and think we're working our tails off and doing a good job. I get that. 
I think it's important for such a company like mine to continue to ensure that diversity and diverse thinking is brought across all areas of the leadership and through the company.

Of course it's nonsense to the person who isn't being hurt by it.  It's not nonsense to the women doing the same work, with the same qualifications and experience, but getting a fraction of the pay for it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »

I find the current reporting to not be super valuable overall because it doesn't get into the reasons for the disparity. It can't just be senior roles at the companies with a >40% difference, they may be unfair from the get go and they may employ significantly more men in general. But I'm also hoping this leads to more diversity in hiring, and steady increases in wages at the lower levels because the disparity between standard employees and senior executive/board level pay is some of the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
My husband is an engineer and he scoffs at the gender pay issue.   ::)  Really gets my back up. 

It's about equivalent pay for the same work.  He TOTALLY has his head in the sand that companies really do pay women less for the SAME work.  He insists that it must not be the same work.

I love him and he is truly an incredible man.  But he's not perfect.   :P

I've always felt *mostly* protected as being in finance, I have access to everyone's salaries and everyone knows it.  That being said, during my most recent job search, it proves how hard it is to be a woman and get a leadership role.  While I was given good reasons for not being the final pick, I lost out to a man everytime.  And I'm the only woman in the board meetings.  Not the first time...   ::)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 11:36:04 AM »
In the legal profession, women make up 60% of graduates. And a similar number for new hires.

Twelve percent of senior partners are female.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »
I would love to see the figures on the (illegal) differences in pay for the same work.  I'm sure this exists a lot.

Funny thing is in engineering (and other industries where there are less women), there's a good chance that a women's boss is a man.  A man is more likely to approach their man boss and be golfing or cycling buddies and have that rapport. They then ask for the exciting, more visible work. Therefore, they will be happy to ask for the raise, no problem, or just to be given it because of the rapport they have.  The woman, in a room of 6 other men, will be spoken over and be mansplained.  A women is likely to get her head down and work hard, very hard, to prove her worth, but these things aren't enough.  I am seeing this right now, a lot, in our own company. I've seen it in the past.   There is a definite 'boys club' when it comes to the engineering leadership.  It's not a universal truth  or generalisation , of course. But it's definitely there.  I know, this for sure,  because I'm a member of the Women's Engineering Society.

I find the current reporting to not be super valuable overall because it doesn't get into the reasons for the disparity. It can't just be senior roles at the companies with a >40% difference, they may be unfair from the get go and they may employ significantly more men in general. But I'm also hoping this leads to more diversity in hiring, and steady increases in wages at the lower levels because the disparity between standard employees and senior executive/board level pay is some of the issue.

Some companies do explain and link to various presentations, etc. (Probably those who really want to make sure they don't 'look bad' - like my company). 
There are a lot of industries that don't really attract women as talent, such as IT/Tech,  Oil & Gas, Finance, engineering, construction, architecture, etc.  So these companies really need to start figuring out how to get more diversity in their hiring. 
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 11:43:36 AM »
KFDancer, is your husband's company big enough to report a gender pay gap?
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »
That being said, during my most recent job search, it proves how hard it is to be a woman and get a leadership role.  While I was given good reasons for not being the final pick, I lost out to a man everytime.  And I'm the only woman in the board meetings.  Not the first time...   ::)

We have a lot more women in my company now than when I first started in 2010. Back then, during on-the-job training, I was the only female in my office. When I moved to my current location, I was only the second woman in the office. By last year, we had 5 women :).

Also, when I first started, we were told there would never be a female Chief Meteorologist... the main reason being because women of that age (30-40s) end up being less focused on making it to 'chief' because they will normally have started a family by that point.

However, during the week of International Women's Day, we had a shift where the entire chief meteorologist team on that day was female (4 staff members)... something I had previously assumed would never happen :).

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
However, during the week of International Women's Day, we had a shift where the entire chief meteorologist team on that day was female (4 staff members)... something I had previously assumed would never happen :).

My very first international flight was very memorable for one very awesome reason.  The entire flight deck was female!  All 4 members in the cockpit were women.  I've never seen it again since!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 11:57:26 AM »
I would love to see the figures on the (illegal) differences in pay for the same work.  I'm sure this exists a lot.

Funny thing is in engineering (and other industries where there are less women), there's a good chance that a women's boss is a man.  A man is more likely to approach their man boss and be golfing or cycling buddies and have that rapport. They then ask for the exciting, more visible work. Therefore, they will be happy to ask for the raise, no problem, or just to be given it because of the rapport they have.  The woman, in a room of 6 other men, will be spoken over and be mansplained.  A women is likely to get her head down and work hard, very hard, to prove her worth, but these things aren't enough.  I am seeing this right now, a lot, in our own company. I've seen it in the past.   There is a definite 'boys club' when it comes to the engineering leadership.  It's not a universal truth  or generalisation , of course. But it's definitely there.  I know, this for sure,  because I'm a member of the Women's Engineering Society.

Some companies do explain and link to various presentations, etc. (Probably those who really want to make sure they don't 'look bad' - like my company). 
There are a lot of industries that don't really attract women as talent, such as IT/Tech,  Oil & Gas, Finance, engineering, construction, architecture, etc.  So these companies really need to start figuring out how to get more diversity in their hiring.
From my own experiences starting out in IT, there are serious systemic issues. I interviewed for the same jobs as some of my male friends at one company (knowing they were hiring more than one person), with the same interviewer and with employee referrals. Their experiences were completely different than mine to the extent that the interviewer was banned from future hiring. But I was still offered the same job for $2/hr less base salary. I declined. In other interviews I was treated like a kid who was mansplained to repeatedly. I ended up changing industries and going toward the business side of things because I couldn't catch a break on technology. I am the only woman on my team at my current employer in the US, and they consistently ignore every suggestion I give them even though they are standard industry practices.

You wouldn't need womens societies if equality was a thing. I also wonder how ethnic disparities factor into some of the salary data as I'm sure there are some illegal differences there as well.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 11:59:28 AM »
KFDancer, is your husband's company big enough to report a gender pay gap?

I think so.  It will be interesting.  He doesn't hardly work with *any* women...  so will be very biased.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 12:00:39 PM »

We have a lot more women in my company now than when I first started in 2010. Back then, during on-the-job training, I was the only female in my office. When I moved to my current location, I was only the second woman in the office. By last year, we had 5 women :).

Also, when I first started, we were told there would never be a female Chief Meteorologist... the main reason being because women of that age (30-40s) end up being less focused on making it to 'chief' because they will normally have started a family by that point.

That is pretty awesome! I'm glad more women are making it into meteorology. I did a few classes in earth sciences and the men still outnumbered the women pretty significantly.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 12:11:13 PM »

That is pretty awesome! I'm glad more women are making it into meteorology. I did a few classes in earth sciences and the men still outnumbered the women pretty significantly.

I did an Earth Sciences masters in the UK (2006-2007) and we were actually about even on men vs. women (I think it was 7 women and 6 men). It was refreshing actually, given my undergrad was physics, which had over 50 men and only 12 women.

For the meteorology, it used to be very much a 'male profession' and it's only in the last 10-15 years or so that there has been a significant increase in women in the office. It doesn't help though that I work on military bases where the majority of the officers and pilots are still male. I think we only have 2 female flight deck aircrew at our base. When I'm overseas it's still very much a 'boys club' atmosphere in the officer's mess... and though it shouldn't be the case, there is still an advantage to being a civilian female living in the mess (we get invites to parties/events, and taken up in the planes etc.).

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 01:06:34 PM »
I think so.  It will be interesting.  He doesn't hardly work with *any* women...  so will be very biased.

Definitely interesting!
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 01:15:04 PM »
In my undergraduate Plastics Engineering class, we started as freshman with  just 3 women and at least 60 men. Now engineering has a huge drop out rate in general , but interestingly, we graduated with 24 men and the same 3 women.  One of the ladies went off to law school and does intellectual property, but the other one is working in engineering still (and is one of my best friends in the world), and so am I. 
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab