Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Gender Pay Gap  (Read 2455 times)

• Liked: 1892
Gender Pay Gap
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
I find any kind of a pay gap very distasteful and think that companies perpetuate a lot of ridiculous practices that lead to unfair pay.  The gender pay gap is probably the most obvious and negative example. 

I do have to call y'all out on using the term "mansplaining" as it is horribly sexist. Two wrongs do not make a right!

In return, I won't point out how bossy KFDANCER is.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:29:23 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 4985
Re: Gender Pay Gap
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »

In return, I won't point out how bossy KFDANCER is.

I'm bossy?   ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »
I do have to call y'all out on using the term "mansplaining" as it is horribly sexist. Two wrongs do not make a right!

Fair enough Jimbo. I will caveat that I did say "It's not a universal truth  or generalisation , of course. But it's definitely there."  ;)

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 03:00:11 PM »
PB, as you know my husband is also an engineer and works for an engineering company (construction).  I looked up their gender pay gap results and it is nauseating. 

Hourly rate is 32% lower
3% of the top quartile are women
Women's bonus pay is 82% lower than mens

Gross.  So so gross.

Off to look up past employers!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 03:03:17 PM »
Hourly rate is 32% lower
3% of the top quartile are women
Women's bonus pay is 82% lower than mens

Gross.  So so gross.

Mmmmmmmmm........and he insists there isn't a difference. Bollocks! 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 03:08:47 PM »
Mmmmmmmmm........and he insists there isn't a difference. Bollocks!

I know.  But you know how hard it is to be a white man in your industry!   ::)

I completely get that he works for a company with "the good ole boy" system and that there are very few females at work.  So I'm sure they don't have a great sample set.  But who's fault is that?

No, I don't think they need to hire women just to hire women.  But I'm all for equal opportunity.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »
When I lived in South Florida, I was aquantinances with a woman who is a Professional Civil Engineer.  She was tough as nails and wouldn't back down, but the amount of times she had to fight for anyone to actual believe that she was the engineer and even more, for people to believe her (even her coworkers) and what she was saying, was absolutely shocking. 

My husband works in architecture here and he hasn't come across any female engineers, unfortunately.  He also doesn't really know any female building site managers, bar one. And he says that she is ace and so helpful and very well respected.  That is a really tough industry and it really needs change.
There's building work going on here and I saw a female builder on site today and I wanted to run over to her and give her a big hug! But she probably would have called the police. HAHAHA. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 253
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 08:34:56 PM »
My company has a GPG of 22.8, and we do banded salaries. I had a think about it, and it's because 90% of our editors, who are the "super high" paid (not really highly paid in the grand scheme of things), are male, and most of our senior management staff are male.

It greatly upsets me because I'm constantly told by my friend that "men work harder so they get promoted to those positions"...
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 957
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 09:17:15 PM »
My company has a GPG of 22.8, and we do banded salaries. I had a think about it, and it's because 90% of our editors, who are the "super high" paid (not really highly paid in the grand scheme of things), are male, and most of our senior management staff are male.

It greatly upsets me because I'm constantly told by my friend that "men work harder so they get promoted to those positions"...
Wow. Just. They don't get it do they? The inherent bias that is so ingrained in the culture here. *sigh*

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 253
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 08:04:34 PM »
Wow. Just. They don't get it do they? The inherent bias that is so ingrained in the culture here. *sigh*

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

It's kind of even worse in the media/publishing/journo world where it's sometimes still seen as a "boy's club" by some.  [smiley=doh.gif]
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 170
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 08:52:17 PM »
It's kind of even worse in the media/publishing/journo world where it's sometimes still seen as a "boy's club" by some.  [smiley=doh.gif]

I was pleasantly surprised (perhaps vindicated??) when I saw the education figures! Despite 70% of secondary teachers being female, there is the third largest gpg in education!! Case in point - last school but one there were only three female heads' of department (out of at least 15) and only one male full-time non-promoted teacher. School I jut quit had two female full-timers under the age of 35. The rest were part time to cope (I have no idea how the men did full time, or perhaps they faced less of something??). With me gone, they're down to one!!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised (perhaps vindicated??) when I saw the education figures! Despite 70% of secondary teachers being female, there is the third largest gpg in education!! Case in point - last school but one there were only three female heads' of department (out of at least 15) and only one male full-time non-promoted teacher. School I jut quit had two female full-timers under the age of 35. The rest were part time to cope (I have no idea how the men did full time, or perhaps they faced less of something??). With me gone, they're down to one!!

How does part-time teaching work with the kids?  I know someone who is a teacher who only works on Thursday and Friday.  I don't get how that works...  do the kids just have different teachers on different days?  How is there continuity?

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 12:45:42 PM »
How does part-time teaching work with the kids?  I know someone who is a teacher who only works on Thursday and Friday.  I don't get how that works...  do the kids just have different teachers on different days?  How is there continuity?

I'm secondary - but yes, you get the gist. This is one reason why flexible working with teaching is hugely problematic. We get a lot of attitude from parents about 'continuity'. Sometimes it means two teachers 'sharing' a set, which is often dealt with by teaching different topics. Actually some education theory says this works BETTER for long term progress (it's called interleaving).

At the same time, I know some people who work say three days a week and DON'T have kids just to manage the workload. Full time working in teaching is about 60 hours per week, which means I've always found it difficult to have a work-life balance and I don't have kids. I know many many other jobs work those long hours, but not for the peanuts we make. (My first wage was described as 'pocket money' by a senior leader).

Education at the moment is an absolute mess and I pity anyone with children, who are getting the brunt of these political disasters.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 12:48:20 PM »
I'm secondary - but yes, you get the gist. This is one reason why flexible working with teaching is hugely problematic. We get a lot of attitude from parents about 'continuity'. Sometimes it means two teachers 'sharing' a set, which is often dealt with by teaching different topics. Actually some education theory says this works BETTER for long term progress (it's called interleaving).

Ah, yes, they were moving to that in the USA when I graduated.  They called it "blocks".

I'm sorry teaching sucked the life out of you.  Yeah, I don't have a great work/life balance.  But I do enjoy it and feel much more rewarded than teachers do.

And to be fair, my new job has a VERY light work load so far.  So no logging in at home for me (as yet anyways).

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 01:08:50 PM »
I'm sorry teaching sucked the life out of you.  Yeah, I don't have a great work/life balance.  But I do enjoy it and feel much more rewarded than teachers do.

And to be fair, my new job has a VERY light work load so far.  So no logging in at home for me (as yet anyways).

Yeah, I really hope this bitterness wears off soon!!

Glad to hear the new job is going well. I hope to join the employed after our first round of IVF (though I have no idea how future rounds will work with a job!!).

Sponsored Links