Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Costco  (Read 5783 times)

• Liked: 14
Costco
« on: April 09, 2018, 12:03:40 AM »
My husband and I have had Costco memberships in Japan and the US.  When he tried to get one in England, he was told that you have to be a member of certain professions to join... whaaaaat?  That's nuts. 

We renewed our membership last October, when he visited me in the US.  Should I renew it before I leave for the UK?  We should be able to use the current membership over there, but it looks  like we won't be able to get a new one once it's expired.  Has anyone else dealt with Costco in the UK?
Will sell soul for Duke's Mayonnaise.

• Liked: 768
Re: Costco
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »
My husband and I have had Costco memberships in Japan and the US.  When he tried to get one in England, he was told that you have to be a member of certain professions to join... whaaaaat?  That's nuts. 

We renewed our membership last October, when he visited me in the US.  Should I renew it before I leave for the UK?  We should be able to use the current membership over there, but it looks  like we won't be able to get a new one once it's expired.  Has anyone else dealt with Costco in the UK?
Yes, renew before you leave the US as you won't qualify for a membership unless you are in one of those job fields.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:56:09 AM »
LOVE Costco!

To be fair, I haven't met anyone in real life that hasn't been able to get a Costco membership in the UK.  My old employer (who only had about 50 employees in the UK) was "on the list" of accepted employers.  I just had to show evidence that I worked there to get my initial membership.  Since then, they've never asked for anything again. 

But yeah, get the membership before you leave the US and then you'll have time to figure out how to extend it.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:27:43 PM »

I can't imagine that they make it very hard to join. If you try and it doesn't work, PM me and I'll renew my membership and send you the card. 

I used to be a member but stopped when I realised I just don't have room for all that stuff.  If you get a house big enough to store 700 rolls of toilet paper than you are lucky.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »
If you get a house big enough to store 700 rolls of toilet paper than you are lucky.

They sell more than toilet paper!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »
I can't imagine that they make it very hard to join. If you try and it doesn't work, PM me and I'll renew my membership and send you the card. 

I used to be a member but stopped when I realised I just don't have room for all that stuff.  If you get a house big enough to store 700 rolls of toilet paper than you are lucky.

I buy 18 - 24 roll packs.  Well, I buy two 9-roll packs or one 24-roll pack when I buy it.  Whichever's on offer when I need to get it.  Does Costco sell this size?  I have storage for it.

I do kinda wish there was a closer one to me.  My nearest is in Cardiff, which is an hour and a half of motorway each way.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 12:41:12 PM »
I buy 18 - 24 roll packs.  Well, I buy two 9-roll packs or one 24-roll pack when I buy it.  Whichever's on offer when I need to get it.  Does Costco sell this size?  I have storage for it.

I do kinda wish there was a closer one to me.  My nearest is in Cardiff, which is an hour and a half of motorway each way.

I usually buy the pack that's 9 rolls in a pack and I think it's 5 packs.  So 45 rolls.

But again, SO MUCH MORE to Costco than toilet paper.

I think my visits would be few and far between though if it was a 3 hour roundtrip.  I don't think it's worth that.  I can always mail you stuff you need.   ;D

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 12:46:55 PM »
I usually buy the pack that's 9 rolls in a pack and I think it's 5 packs.  So 45 rolls.

But again, SO MUCH MORE to Costco than toilet paper.

I think my visits would be few and far between though if it was a 3 hour roundtrip.  I don't think it's worth that.  I can always mail you stuff you need.   ;D

Oh! That does remind me... do they have naproxen tablets?  The Equate 220mg ones I took from pass-the-parcel will eventually run out.  I need to make my connection for my next hit.  ;)

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »
Oh! That does remind me... do they have naproxen tablets?  The Equate 220mg ones I took from pass-the-parcel will eventually run out.  I need to make my connection for my next hit.  ;)

Nope, those are only available on prescription here.  They don't have the big American sized drugs as those are illegal here.   :-\\\\ 

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 01:13:07 PM »
Nope, those are only available on prescription here.  They don't have the big American sized drugs as those are illegal here.   :-\\\\

I couldn't remember what ksand24 had said about the availability of my favourite US OTCs, so I wasn't sure if Costco might have them.  Thanks, though.  Hmm... what American-like products might they have that I am missing?  *ponder*

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 01:20:01 PM »
I couldn't remember what ksand24 had said about the availability of my favourite US OTCs, so I wasn't sure if Costco might have them.  Thanks, though.  Hmm... what American-like products might they have that I am missing?  *ponder*

Their own brand laundry detergent is like Tide
Big things of Skippy peanut butter (smooth and crunchy)
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Ghiradelli brownie mix
Buttermilk pancake/waffle mix
American marshmallows
Cheesecake Factory cheesecake
A-MAZ-ING towels and sheets (for cheap)
Hotdogs
Arizona Iced Tea

I know there's lots more!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »
I couldn't remember what ksand24 had said about the availability of my favourite US OTCs, so I wasn't sure if Costco might have them.  Thanks, though.

Yeah, unfortunately, it would be illegal for Costco to sell them :(.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 01:29:25 PM »
Ghiradelli brownie mix
American marshmallows
Hotdogs
Arizona Iced Tea

Please stop.... !  ;D

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 01:38:40 PM »
Please stop.... !  ;D

I can mail stuff to you too!   ;D

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »
Ghiradelli brownie mix
American marshmallows
Hotdogs
Arizona Iced Tea

American marshmallows and hot dogs!  Man... I want the all-beef thick sausage/dog things I used to get in the states.  Not hot dogs.  They were more substantial, and juicy and tasty.  I don't know what they were.  I completely took them or granted and now I can't find anything similar.  And I really miss good cheap hot dog buns.  Like, the soft ones I used to get for mere pennies at Walmart, but they didn't taste like baking soda and flour like Tesco ones do.

Is Cheesecake Factory cheesecake the proper baked kind?  My husband and I can't find a good cheesecake in this country (for reals!), and without an oven, we can't make our own.  We'd pay good money for a proper cheesecake.

Sadly, I can't use the brownie mix, but it sounds good.  Sheets and towels! When we've done our renovations and I have a proper bathroom, I will want to get a nice set of towels.  I need to remember your Costco access.  I'm so gonna hit you up!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab