Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Costco  (Read 5797 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Costco
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2018, 10:33:00 AM »
That and my SIL who's name is Sian he has told me off for mispronouncing it to make it sound like Sean, a male friend of ours. I was like......they sound the same I can't help it! He then proceeded to say they DON'T sound the same and said "Listen! Sean. SEAN." I was like...THEY ARE THE SAME!

I 100% believed they were pronounced the same!

The Sarah/Sara thing kills me.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »
My best friend in the US's name is Sarah (with an H) but she never gets pissy when somebody spells it Sara. I never understand how people DO get mad when they add or leave off an "h" on Sarah/Sara haha People aren't mind readers that can figure out if there is or isn't an "h" as it's pronounced the same!! (funnily enough Sarah is married to Sean LOL)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2018, 10:41:43 AM »
My best friend in the US's name is Sarah (with an H) but she never gets pissy when somebody spells it Sara. I never understand how people DO get mad when they add or leave off an "h" on Sarah/Sara haha People aren't mind readers that can figure out if there is or isn't an "h" as it's pronounced the same!! (funnily enough Sarah is married to Sean LOL)

I was in grad school before I realized that was a thing anybody would bother getting pissy about.  A classmate who should've been old enough to know better made sure to point out that she was "SARA, no h, because I'm not 'saraHAH'"...  *eyeroll*  She and I did not become friends.

My name is Kimberly.  People here write it Kimberley.  I don't care!  It all sounds the same, and I'm just happy people care enough to write to me.  It is a problem when it gets misspelled on official documents, but when it's really important, I ask them to fix it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2018, 10:43:57 AM »
My name ends with a y.  In the US, there are MANY common spellings of my name.  I really don't care when someone spells it wrong.  Why would I?

Some people are sensitive.

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »
I was in grad school before I realized that was a thing anybody would bother getting pissy about.  A classmate who should've been old enough to know better made sure to point out that she was "SARA, no h, because I'm not 'saraHAH'"...  *eyeroll*  She and I did not become friends.

My name is Kimberly.  People here write it Kimberley.  I don't care!  It all sounds the same, and I'm just happy people care enough to write to me.  It is a problem when it gets misspelled on official documents, but when it's really important, I ask them to fix it.

When I was younger I would spell my name with a Y or an I (depending on how I was feeling that week haha) but eventually settled with I at the end of my name. I get Tori, Tory, Torey, Torie, Toni, and Tony. I could pretty much be called "hey you!" and I probably wouldn't be offended haha  (unless they were rude about it). I never get why people get SO bent out of shape about something so small in the grand scheme of things. Thankfully it's not my "legal" name so I don't have to worry about misspellings often. My maiden name however, which is my legal last name on my documents for US/visa stuff, started with an I and people would constantly confuse it with an L....
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
That's that r sound I was talking about!  My husband denies its existence!

I think that's because us Brits are simply pronouncing the 'a' sound, not an 'r' sound... to us, that's all we are doing. It's not our fault that because of our accent, it sounds like an 'r' :P.

The Sarah/Sara thing kills me.

Oh, me too - I never know how to pronounce Sara.

I always thought it was:

Sara = 'sah-ra'
Sarah = 'sare-ra'

But then there are Saras who pronounce it 'Sare-ra', and I just get confused.

know they are spelled the same but I would pronounce "dew" like "DOO", with a hard d (::insert totally mature joke here). But he says dew like Djew (if you can try to figure out how I'm saying it because I can't for the life of me figure out how to spell it!).

Something I've seen a lot on the internet is people writing the following:

'We just have to make due with it' (instead of 'make do')

And it's because they pronounce do, due and dew the same way, so when it comes to writing one of them down, they don't know which is the correct word to use :P.

Off-topic slightly, but another internet misspelling that makes me chuckle is 'lettuce' in place of 'let us'... as in: 'lettuce see' or 'lettuce pray' :P.

That and my SIL who's name is Sian he has told me off for mispronouncing it to make it sound like Sean, a male friend of ours. I was like......they sound the same I can't help it! He then proceeded to say they DON'T sound the same and said "Listen! Sean. SEAN." I was like...THEY ARE THE SAME!

Sian = Shahn
Sean = Shorn

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2018, 10:57:19 AM »
Oh, see, cuz I work in tech my husband has done a good job of trying to teach me UK pronunciation for common words that are different in the US. He definitely admits to the r. Is your husband from the South? I'm guessing in other areas it may be less prominent.

He is from the south, yes.  He was born in Portsmouth, and I don't think he's ever lived north of the M4.

He does the r in some words and then denies the sound when I remark on it.  And he says "fingk" when he means 'thing' sometimes, but I know that's deliberate, because he adopts an entire regional accent when he does that.  Most of the time, apart from that occasional subtle /awr/ thing and sometimes not remembering which is the American and which is the British way of saying some words that I use frequently, his accent is pretty proper.  Not the Queen's English, but good enough that I have always been able to understand him easily.

• Liked: 958
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »
He is from the south, yes.  He was born in Portsmouth, and I don't think he's ever lived north of the M4.

He does the r in some words and then denies the sound when I remark on it.  And he says "fingk" when he means 'thing' sometimes, but I know that's deliberate, because he adopts an entire regional accent when he does that.  Most of the time, apart from that occasional subtle /awr/ thing and sometimes not remembering which is the American and which is the British way of saying some words that I use frequently, his accent is pretty proper.  Not the Queen's English, but good enough that I have always been able to understand him easily.
Yep, sounds much like my husband from Bournemouth. He lived in London for a while and it changed a bit, but still quite proper!

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
'lettuce pray'

I'm dying with laughter.  Off to google a meme...

The internet does not disappoint!

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »

I always thought it was:

Sara = 'sah-ra'
Sarah = 'sare-ra'

But then there are Saras who pronounce it 'Sare-ra', and I just get confused.

I think it depends on where you're from in the US as that will dictate the pronunciation but in New England, I went to school with both Saras and Sarahs and it was totally pronounced the same! (but then the Sarah I know, her family was from Texas, and they would pronounce it differently when they'd come to visit).

Off-topic slightly, but another internet misspelling that makes me chuckle is 'lettuce' in place of 'let us'... as in: 'lettuce see' or 'lettuce pray' :P.

Whenever we have lettuce wraps my husband and I will say "need to go get the lettuc pray from the fridge" or we'll present the lettuce and say "lettuce pray" hahahaha

Sian = Shahn
Sean = Shorn

Again, might be a New England thing, but I would pronounce Sian and Sean as "Shahn" and when my husband says it, they literally sound identical!
My, how time flies....

« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2018, 11:13:42 AM »
I'm dying with laughter.  Off to google a meme...

The internet does not disappoint!

OMG that is hilarious! Husband and I were also laughing about how people on buy/sell pages seem to put "Chester drawers" instead of "chest of drawers" lol or just "chester draws". LITERALLY ebay "Chester Draws". No joke.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »
I think that's because us Brits are simply pronouncing the 'a' sound, not an 'r' sound... to us, that's all we are doing. It's not our fault that because of our accent, it sounds like an 'r' :P.

Yes, I think you are exactly right.  He has no clue he's doing it.  To him, it sounds like /ah/ or /aw/.  To me, I hear /er/ or /awr/.

Problem is, I have some hearing loss, and he knows I'm sensitive about it, so he can pretend the r thing is all in my head and mostly get away with it.  But the r is there!  I know it is.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
I think it depends on where you're from in the US as that will dictate the pronunciation but in New England, I went to school with both Saras and Sarahs and it was totally pronounced the same! (but then the Sarah I know, her family was from Texas, and they would pronounce it differently when they'd come to visit).

All my experience has been with UK Sarahs/Saras. I also went to school with both, but the Sara pronounced her name like Zara, not Sarah.

Again, might be a New England thing, but I would pronounce Sian and Sean as "Shahn" and when my husband says it, they literally sound identical!

I can see how it would sound the same with an American accent, but weird that it sounds the same when your husband says it, given that Brits usually say the names with different vowel sounds: 'ahh' vs. 'orr' (or 'awe').

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2018, 11:34:13 AM »
All my experience has been with UK Sarahs/Saras. I also went to school with both, but the Sara pronounced her name like Zara, not Sarah.

I can see how it would sound the same with an American accent, but weird that it sounds the same when your husband says it, given that Brits usually say the names with different vowel sounds: 'ahh' vs. 'orr' (or 'awe').

Yeah he is literally like "It's not Sean. It's SEAN."
My, how time flies....

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2018, 11:37:02 AM »

That r!  I'm going to become a pirate before the day is through.  Arrrrrrrr!  *shakes fist*

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab