Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Burglary Attempt  (Read 5314 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Burglary Attempt
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 02:21:36 PM »

In light of this...

I can recommend Blue Iris security camera software.  Spring for high definition cameras with night vision mode.  We set up our system for under £200, including the software (we already had the computer... if you don't have a computer to run the system on, you'll need to get that, too).

Do you think this is something you could set up in a rental? I don't know much about security systems but now I am thinking it would be a very good idea! We have multiple computers :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 02:27:51 PM »

Do you think this is something you could set up in a rental? I don't know much about security systems but now I am thinking it would be a very good idea! We have multiple computers :)

We obviously have access to the loft to run leads for electricity, and we used screws to mount the camera brackets in place.  The cameras are wifi enabled, so once you get power to them, they're ready to go.  We have two at our workshop, one at the front of our house, and one at the rear of our house.  They just plug in to the nearest electricity outlet, and the signal is wireless.

Edit to add more details:
Our system is sort of DIY.  My husband shopped for the cameras and bought these for about £25-30 each (ours are the 720p ones, but they also come in 1080p).

We started out with some free opensource software, but it was annoying to use, so we paid for Blue Iris software.  The software is expensive ($30 for one camera, or $60 for up to 64 cameras; we have four cameras), but it's much easier to configure than the opensource application was, and I'm glad I spent the money on it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:37:08 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 02:33:18 PM »
We obviously have access to the loft to run leads for electricity, and we used screws to mount the camera brackets in place.  The cameras are wifi enabled, so once you get power to them, they're ready to go.  We have two at our workshop, one at the front of our house, and one at the rear of our house.  They just plug in to the nearest electricity outlet, and the signal is wireless.
Oh nice. We might have to get creative for placement but that should be do-able. :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »

Edit to add more details:
Our system is sort of DIY.  My husband shopped for the cameras and bought these for about £25-30 each (ours are the 720p ones, but they also come in 1080p).

We started out with some free opensource software, but it was annoying to use, so we paid for Blue Iris software.  The software is expensive ($30 for one camera, or $60 for up to 64 cameras; we have four cameras), but it's much easier to configure than the opensource application was, and I'm glad I spent the money on it.

I've asked three different electricians about getting cameras installed here (they were here for other jobs) and all seemed unbelievably vague and uncertain.
I really, really wish there was some way you guys could come and sort me out!
I am not joking! 

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »
I've asked three different electricians about getting cameras installed here (they were here for other jobs) and all seemed unbelievably vague and uncertain.
I really, really wish there was some way you guys could come and sort me out!
I am not joking!

If they haven't installed a newer wifi system before, they probably don't know how easy they have become.  Once you get electricity to them and the wifi communicating, it's just a matter of a few screws (three, I think?) to mount them in place.

You'll probably want someone to help you, though... do you have a handy friend/neighbour/relative who comes over to help out with things like hanging pictures and putting up shelves, or do you do that stuff yourself?  That's about the level of complexity with the physical side of installing the cameras.  The software can be tricky depending on the system you're running them on.  Not all things like to communicate with all operating systems/configurations.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 05:50:15 PM »
If they haven't installed a newer wifi system before, they probably don't know how easy they have become.  Once you get electricity to them and the wifi communicating, it's just a matter of a few screws (three, I think?) to mount them in place.

You'll probably want someone to help you, though... do you have a handy friend/neighbour/relative who comes over to help out with things like hanging pictures and putting up shelves, or do you do that stuff yourself?  That's about the level of complexity with the physical side of installing the cameras.  The software can be tricky depending on the system you're running them on.  Not all things like to communicate with all operating systems/configurations.

Thanks!
I borrow my friend's husband from time to time but I thought I'd need an electrician to wire the cameras. And don't you have to drill holes in the wall for that too?

• Liked: 223
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 06:25:24 PM »
I don't want to ruin the party, and I'm sorry if this seem a bit paranoid, but some food for thought:

It might be good to avoid discussing your security arrangements, the lack of security in your home and especially specifics.

While most on UK Yankee are friendly and here for the good of the community, you never really know who's lurking online and a thread titled 'burglary attempt' could attract some unsavoury attention.

Just wanted to point that out. It's not anything against the rules of the forum or anything, just remember this is a public forum. It's easy to feel at home and say things we maybe shouldn't.

Obviously security system suggestions and experiences are great to share, but please don't make yourself vulnerable.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »
True, but I’m okay with this.  My Orlando Police days are still firmly with me.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
I don't want to ruin the party, and I'm sorry if this seem a bit paranoid, but some food for thought:

It might be good to avoid discussing your security arrangements, the lack of security in your home and especially specifics.

While most on UK Yankee are friendly and here for the good of the community, you never really know who's lurking online and a thread titled 'burglary attempt' could attract some unsavoury attention.

Just wanted to point that out. It's not anything against the rules of the forum or anything, just remember this is a public forum. It's easy to feel at home and say things we maybe shouldn't.

Obviously security system suggestions and experiences are great to share, but please don't make yourself vulnerable.
True, but I’m okay with this.  My Orlando Police days are still firmly with me.

Fair enough. :)

We occasionally get messages from people who have posted something on here and later regret the personal info they've included and want the post removed. This was a preemptive move on my part. ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 06:39:10 PM »

We occasionally get messages from people who have posted something on here and later regret the personal info they've included and want the post removed. This was a preemptive move on my part. ;)

Which I thoroughly appreciate!   :)

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 07:08:18 PM »

It was a good reminder. I don't think anything gives away my location on here but there might possibly be geotags on some photos so I edited one post. Thanks for that TF.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »
Why are you guys so interested in getting videos of someone robbing you?  AFAIK, the police aren't interested in grainy pictures of hoody people stealing your stuff.

I always thought that there were more cost effective ways to reduce your chances of being burgled, like increasing gates and locks and lights. 

I would imagine as well that posting when you are going on holiday is more significant than talking about security arrangements in particular

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 08:46:14 PM »
Why are you guys so interested in getting videos of someone robbing you?  AFAIK, the police aren't interested in grainy pictures of hoody people stealing your stuff.

I always thought that there were more cost effective ways to reduce your chances of being burgled, like increasing gates and locks and lights. 

I would imagine as well that posting when you are going on holiday is more significant than talking about security arrangements in particular
When you rent there's very little you can do to alter the house :( I'd have different doors installed if I had a choice!

• Liked: 73
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 11:47:53 PM »
So sorry to hear this, KFDancer! We have been burgled three times, once in Guyana and twice in The Bahamas. It is a most horrible experience! In Guyana, they took everything we had from downstairs while we slept upstairs. Luckily there was a door at the top of the stairs or who knows! They left us with no food whatsoever and only left furniture and books! In the Bahamas, we were not home but they rummaged through every drawer which was horrible. Even though we rented we had a burglar alarm installed and the landlord installed iron doors.

Do whatever you can to stay safe. I agree that things like old fashioned bolts on doors can help and making sure deadbolts are always used and no keys are left in or near the door. 

Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 113
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 12:09:21 AM »

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your horrible experience KFdancer!

The positioning of the cameras toward the street may be helpful in getting a picture of the vehicle they used. I'm currently house sitting my grandparent's house while they're vacationing for 2 months. I appreciate they have timed lights that go on and off at different times during the night to make it seem like there are more people inside the house. And while it may be annoying to some, I also appreciate they have sensors installed on every door/window opening. A robotic-sounding voice announces rather loudly whenever a door/window is opened or closed. For example, "Backdoor opened" "Backdoor closed" etc.  :)
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

Sponsored Links