Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!  (Read 2313 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 09:41:07 AM »
Cheeeeese!

Try getting some mature cheddar, and cooking it in a frying pan with some black pepper, and then scooping it all up onto toast for a sandwich with soup. Cheese gets a whole 'nuther level of yummy when cooked!

Do you cook it on low or high heat?  How do you prevent it from sticking?  I want to do this!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 674
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 09:46:45 AM »
I use a non-stick pan. cut cheese into thin strips, and melt it on medium. You could do it on low, but it would take longer. High would burn it, I think, unless you watched it like a hawk.  When it melts, stir it periodically as it bubbles. Dust the top with black pepper. Stir more and let it cook for at least a few minutes.. If you cook it longer it separates into like curds and oil. I just use the clumpy bits (Daughter likes that best) and dump the oil that comes off - although there's bound to be something yummy to use that for. Myself, I like my cheese just well melted, bubbled for a few, seasoned, and then onto the toast. Seriously good with a cup of tomato soup for lunch. (We had it for supper last night, actually.)

If you want to get fancy, you can put a bit of a mustard powder in, or other spices, but I actually prefer just the cheddar cheese and the pepper.  You can also mix in other cheeses....

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »
I use a non-stick pan. cut cheese into thin strips, and melt it on medium. You could do it on low, but it would take longer. High would burn it, I think, unless you watched it like a hawk.  When it melts, stir it periodically as it bubbles. Dust the top with black pepper. Stir more and let it cook for at least a few minutes.. If you cook it longer it separates into like curds and oil. I just use the clumpy bits (Daughter likes that best) and dump the oil that comes off - although there's bound to be something yummy to use that for. Myself, I like my cheese just well melted, bubbled for a few, seasoned, and then onto the toast. Seriously good with a cup of tomato soup for lunch. (We had it for supper last night, actually.)

If you want to get fancy, you can put a bit of a mustard powder in, or other spices, but I actually prefer just the cheddar cheese and the pepper.  You can also mix in other cheeses....

Posh cheese on toast!  ;D

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 09:50:09 AM »
We always make our own.  Definitely not JF level but it’s yummy.

You have not tried my pizza... you don't know!  I didn't post about it here, but we had pizza fail at the weekend.  I prepared the dough Thursday for a 72-hour cold prove, but the refrigerator did nothing to slow the yeast, so by the time my husband was home that afternoon, it already looked ready... by Sunday's good weather window, it had pretty much collapsed.  We ate it anyway, and it was acceptable, but it was not what it was meant to be.

The fancy version sounds like Welsh rarebit... I love Welsh rarebit, but I've never made it.  I need a toaster or an oven!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 09:55:59 AM »
You have not tried my pizza... you don't know! 

But I have SEEN your pizza and my eyes tell me it's DELICIOUS!!!

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »
But I have SEEN your pizza and my eyes tell me it's DELICIOUS!!!

Okay, the photos that I've shared here were good pizza.  I can't deny that.  But Sunday's pizzas.... they made us sad.  And those were the most recent ones, so they're what I remember.  :(

I think I know what went wrong, though, so when you do come for pizza, I'll be sure to avoid those problems.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
Posh cheese on toast!  ;D

Yeah, got it off of the Alton Brown TV show, "Good Eats" - except he puts mustard and stuff in his and I'm not terribly fond of mustard. He was also making it in aluminum foil on a BBQ.  The catch is, it actually has to cook a bit, not just get melty.  Magical things happen when cheddar cooks!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:07:34 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »
Yeah, got it off of the Alton Brown TV show, "Good Eats" - except he puts mustard and stuff in his and I'm not terribly fond of mustard.

Oh, so I'm doing something right in the kitchen after all!  ;D I don't much like the taste of mustard either but the I put the tiniest possible scraping of Colemans under the cheese and it really seems to lift the flavour!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 12:53:33 PM »
Oh KFDancer, my,that must have been joyous!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 01:28:33 PM »
Oh, so I'm doing something right in the kitchen after all!  ;D I don't much like the taste of mustard either but the I put the tiniest possible scraping of Colemans under the cheese and it really seems to lift the flavour!

Did you know Coleman's has wheat in it?  They really hide wheat in some strange things!

One of the few times my husband has been "glutened" was because of mustard!

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 01:33:26 PM »
Did you know Coleman's has wheat in it?  They really hide wheat in some strange things!

One of the few times my husband has been "glutened" was because of mustard!

Is that in both the powdered stuff and pre-mixed mustard, or just the pre-mixed ready-to-use mustard?  (We're not GF, but I'm curious.)

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
Is that in both the powdered stuff and pre-mixed mustard, or just the pre-mixed ready-to-use mustard?  (We're not GF, but I'm curious.)

Only the premixed but my husband swears the powder just isn't good.  And it would be a pain to mix it up everytime you want some.

M&S has an English mustard that does NOT have wheat in it.  God forbid they stop making it!

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 02:01:30 PM »
Only the premixed but my husband swears the powder just isn't good.  And it would be a pain to mix it up everytime you want some.

M&S has an English mustard that does NOT have wheat in it.  God forbid they stop making it!

We don't actually get the pre-mixed.  I have a tin of powdered to use in things, and when we ran out of dijon mustard the night we were having kielbasa and cabbage, we mixed up some Colman's in the empty dijon jar.  It was something when we had nothing.  :P

I think the flavour when you mix the powder is supposed to have an optimum time to come together, and then it fades.  So if you're not eating it in that narrow window of time, it won't be as good.  But I don't really use it as a prepared mustard much.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
I think the flavour when you mix the powder is supposed to have an optimum time to come together, and then it fades.  So if you're not eating it in that narrow window of time, it won't be as good.

Correct!  We give it about 10 minutes. It has to be thick but spreadable, and not too watery.  It's an artform!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
Correct!  We give it about 10 minutes. It has to be thick but spreadable, and not too watery.  It's an artform!

How long after those 10 minutes does it stay good for?  Like, do I have a few minutes?  An hour?  A couple of hours?  A day?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab