Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: oooooh, FOOP!  (Read 4119 times)

• Liked: 674
oooooh, FOOP!
« on: April 11, 2018, 05:05:08 PM »
Ok. I legally changed my name in the USA a few years back. About six months before we were going to move, I started to get a new Irish passport in my new name to replace the existing one in my old name. Was informed that because the name change, although done in court, was not because of a marriage or divorce I had to use the new name for two full years prior to applying for a new-name Irish passport.

OK, so we came over using my Irish passport and I used my old name to get established here. I was up front with the people at Nat. Insurance, and they have a record of both passports. Said just let them know when I started using the new name, no problems.

So, am now at the two year mark, have my application ready to go to Ireland, expect to have the new passport/new name in it back in about a month or so. Want to change my name on my accounts here. No problems with utilities. Bank won't change my name without a "deed poll" since I don't have a marriage or divorce document. SO, I looked up how to do a deed poll - apparently I can do it myself, and have typed up what I found on the Gov.uk website.

Here's the embarrassing bit. I have to have two witnesses. I've been here for 11 months and, actually, on my own, I haven't met two people I could ask to sign off on this. The Daughter can't sign it as she's a relative. So I think my other option is a statutory declaration. We are going to the JP in May anyway, to get some stuff signed for the Daughter. I guess I could try to add that to the stack....

It is a somewhat bizarre situation. My other option would be, I guess, to switch to a new bank and use the new name there (once I have the revised passport in hand). I'd rather not do that, though. Or leave it as it is - as long as I have all the government stuff moved over to the "new" name.

Sigh. It just never ends. ::)

• Liked: 4985
Re: oooooh, FOOP!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 05:07:32 PM »
Ok. I legally changed my name in the USA a few years back. About six months before we were going to move, I started to get a new Irish passport in my new name to replace the existing one in my old name. Was informed that because the name change, although done in court, was not because of a marriage or divorce I had to use the new name for two full years prior to applying for a new-name Irish passport.

OK, so we came over using my Irish passport and I used my old name to get established here. I was up front with the people at Nat. Insurance, and they have a record of both passports. Said just let them know when I started using the new name, no problems.

So, am now at the two year mark, have my application ready to go to Ireland, expect to have the new passport/new name in it back in about a month or so. Want to change my name on my accounts here. No problems with utilities. Bank won't change my name without a "deed poll" since I don't have a marriage or divorce document. SO, I looked up how to do a deed poll - apparently I can do it myself, and have typed up what I found on the Gov.uk website.

Here's the embarrassing bit. I have to have two witnesses. I've been here for 11 months and, actually, on my own, I haven't met two people I could ask to sign off on this. The Daughter can't sign it as she's a relative. So I think my other option is a statutory declaration. We are going to the JP in May anyway, to get some stuff signed for the Daughter. I guess I could try to add that to the stack....

It is a somewhat bizarre situation. My other option would be, I guess, to switch to a new bank and use the new name there (once I have the revised passport in hand). I'd rather not do that, though. Or leave it as it is - as long as I have all the government stuff moved over to the "new" name.

Sigh. It just never ends. ::)

Any daughter's friends you could use?  GP?  Sometimes you have to think outside the box.  :)

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 05:19:51 PM »
I have asked the Daughter and so far nothing has come of it. Have not asked at the GP's office. According to what I've read online, the people don't actually have to be well acquainted with me, just witness me signing off. So that might be an option.

Maybe I'll ask the dentist's again. They signed the application for the Irish passport with no problem. Of course, that's only one. I have to have two in the room at the same time.

I think the Daughter said a friend was coming up from England next week - perhaps I can get her to have the friend come over when another friend is here.

[And yeah, I can go the notary route, but that's expensive. May just leave it to the JP if the Daughter doesn't come through for me in the next week or so.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:19:42 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »
Any chance you could just ask two of your neighbours?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 06:07:50 PM »
I've signed something similar for a neighbour before.  No big deal.

I've always heard that everyone wants you to change your name by "Deed Poll" but there really isn't such a thing.  Some guy made a website called deed poll.com where he will make you all kinds of official papers supporting your name change.  Once you have an official looking piece of paper with deed poll written on it, you are good to go. 

From your post it sounds like it could be true.
I love how the British are obsessed with official looking things.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 06:16:34 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous, and there are tons of websites, but you still have to have two live bodies witness it. I would have assumed a court order and a passport in the new name would have been proof enough of using it, but.... eh.   ::)

The few of our neighbors who I actually spoke to have moved away, so they are out.  Hoping the Daughter comes through, otherwise the other logical option is to print out and fill in the statutory declaration and take it to the JP when we go in May.

I'd really rather have this wrapped up by then, but it's not terribly urgent.

• Liked: 73
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 10:32:00 PM »
What about a local solicitors office? I have to verify I am still alive every six months to get my Bahamas pension and I pay £5 to a solicitor for him to sign the form.
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 43
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »
Come for that promised visit to Fife! I’ll sign for you as long as it’s legal for me to do so.
Supposed to be lovely water next week, too...
:)
Sept 2001 - June 2006: studied at the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde
Aug 2010 - Dec 2010: in UK on holiday visa
Jan 2011: issued fiancée visa
July 2011: issued FLR(M)
March 2012: DD1
June 2013: issued ILR
November 2013: DD2

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 11:02:35 PM »
Hmmm. You busy up in Fife the end of next week? You have someone you can convince to sign as well? (Need two sigs) ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:04:29 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 11:03:29 PM »
What about a local solicitors office? I have to verify I am still alive every six months to get my Bahamas pension and I pay £5 to a solicitor for him to sign the form.

Hmm. I've looked at notary fees and we're talking 180+ pounds. Assumed that solicitors would charge the same? Will double-check that!

Edit: It appears that if I prepare the statutory declaration myself that a lawyer can only charge a minimal amount to witness it. Does not need to be a notary. And since it's already changed in the USA, it is primarily only for the bank and, possibly, HMRC. Will check with some nearby lawyers in the morning. Thanks for the tip!!!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:37:20 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 11:38:16 PM »

Ok, seriously? You have to have someone verify you are alive????? :o

• Liked: 223
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 08:31:54 AM »
Would it be easier just to open a new bank account in your new name?

Is your US passport in your new name and do you have a UK licence? You could apply for a provisional in your new name by using your US passport (if it's in your new name). The downside is you'd have to send off your US passport but it might make changing your name other places much easier.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »

Is your US passport in your new name and do you have a UK licence? You could apply for a provisional in your new name by using your US passport (if it's in your new name). The downside is you'd have to send off your US passport but it might make changing your name other places much easier.

But they would want a BRP...  which won't work.

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »

Am trying to NOT open a new bank account, actually.   :)    I like my bank and have a good relationship with them. They have given me a credit card with a very tidy credit limit, so I don't really want to start over.

I do not have a UK license (I assume you mean driver's). While I do intend to get one eventually, I'm trying to not shell out a lot of cash right now so I don't want to pay for the provisional license until I'll be doing driver's ed.   I would have thought a walk down to the bank with the passport & certified US court order, which I have already done, would get it changed. Unfortunately they will not accept that and, besides, that doesn't show my EU status.

The new Irish passport should be here in the new name in about a month. Even then, RBS says I'll need the deed poll/statutory declaration. In the meantime, all the entities who are refusing to change my name now will accept the deed poll or a statutory declaration, but there is no urgency. The utilities were no problem - it's things like my bus pass and the bank. I don't blame the bank - this is a peculiar situation - but it's still just one more thing to deal with. ::)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:43:00 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 223
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »
But they would want a BRP...  which won't work.

Ahhh.... I thought you could send off either your BRP or passport. I went through it six years ago, so maybe it's changed since then or I'm remembering it wrong.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab