Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: oooooh, FOOP!  (Read 4126 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: oooooh, FOOP!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »
Ahhh.... I thought you could send off either your BRP or passport. I went through it six years ago, so maybe it's changed since then or I'm remembering it wrong.

Yeah, they have to see proof that you have the right to live in the UK - which would be Nan's Irish passport.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 11:39:13 AM »
Ya know, I think they are more concerned with the fraud aspect. They don't ask for a passport, just the deed poll. My choices are below, which is what they told me face-to-face. "These and only these."  ::)

How do I change my name with the bank?

To change your name with the bank, for example, after getting married, divorced or gender reassignment, you will need to visit a branch.  Please remember to take legal proof of your name change as requests to change your name on your account must be supported by the following documents:

Marriage or civil partnership
Marriage Certificate or Civil Partnership Certificate.

Change of name
Deed Poll/Statutory Declaration (The bank does accept registered and non-registered Deed poll documents, see www.gov.uk (opens in a new window) for more information)

Divorce / dissolution

Any of the below:

Decree Absolute and Birth Certificate.
    Decree Absolute and Passport.
    Final Dissolution Order and Birth Certificate.
    Marriage Certificate when reverting to maiden name/former name where the certificate contains both maiden and married name.

Original documents must be provided.

• Liked: 73
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »
Ok, seriously? You have to have someone verify you are alive????? :o

Yep!
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 10:15:11 PM »
So far the cheapest solicitors' fees are about 37 pounds. Wish your lawyer was closer!

• Liked: 73
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 12:51:30 AM »
So far the cheapest solicitors' fees are about 37 pounds. Wish your lawyer was closer!

Ours just has to put in my passport number on a form, squiggle his signature and place the official office stamp, so that is maybe why he only charges £5. Seems to be the going rate around here as my husband uses a different solicitor and is charged the same for the same process.
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »
Yeah, that's all this one would need to do. Sign, date, and not even stamp, actually.  ::)

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 08:48:20 PM »
Arrrrrrgh!  Trying to get physical copies of documents with my current name on them. Phoned my retirement administrator last week. Went back and forth about everything being available on the freaking website.  Explained that I cannot just print off a retirement statement from the website - I need a formal hard copy. Mailed through the post. Eire will not accept a PDF printout. Could he send me one or any other document that would have my name on it to at my current address?

He printed off a copy of my statement from the internet PDF and sent it to me.  It arrived, surprisingly, in about 4 days.  Because he put it in a windowed envelope, I don't even have the envelope with my address on it to use. Arrrrrrrgh!

Tried to get a paper copy of a bill from Sky. Phone wait would be over 15 minutes, the voice suggested I text, as it would be much faster.  Waited 10 minutes on hold, then gave up and texted. After much back and forth (with like 10 minute pauses between communications), them sending me a gazillion texts, they sent one that said I had to click on the link to continue. I do not use a smart phone, so I cannot click on links. They then popped up with I would have to phone.  {Grrr}

Phoned. On hold for 10 minutes. Had to repeatedly tell it that, no, I didn't want to use the freaking "faster" text service. Bottom line, they can't send copies of anything. Did I know I could go online? (I swear, if I hear that one more time, after telling someone I need a formal, mailed hardcopy statement....) Went through it again, slowly. Need. A. Hardcopy. A. Printed. Statement. MAILED. To. Me.   No, they don't do that, sorry. I can change my settings and for 1.75 my next bill would be mailed to me. (Next month.)

Sigh. At least SSE sent me one almost immediately. So I only need one more.

Contacted my bank in the States. Asked if they could please send me a hardcopy of my most recent statement, which has been in my new name for a few years now. (This was like two weeks ago.) Gave them the address here. All supposedly was set. Should have gone out the next day. (They certainly billed me for it.) Just looked online and it looks like they sent it to my mail forwarding service in Houston, which still hasn't logged it as arrived. Once it does, it will take another 10 days to get here - assuming it does get here.

Contacted my old energy provider for a duplicate bill from 2016 (in the new name). About three weeks ago. Gave them the address here. They said it would go out within 48 hours. Guess what is not here yet?

Sigh.

Just checked online at my HMRC account. They have changed my name, bless them. And, for some reason, decided that I am now a Mrs.

Sigh. Went in and updated that back to Ms.

At least I have a copy of my national insurance number with my new name at my current address that I can download. But I can't use that for Eire, as it's a download.

I wonder if my TV license would work? I just renewed that the other day, and a paper copy is supposed to be on the way.....

{Just shoot me now and get it over with?}

• Liked: 424
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 09:18:42 PM »
Arrrrrrgh!  Trying to get physical copies of documents with my current name on them. Phoned my retirement administrator last week. Went back and forth about everything being available on the freaking website.  Explained that I cannot just print off a retirement statement from the website - I need a formal hard copy. Mailed through the post. Eire will not accept a PDF printout. Could he send me one or any other document that would have my name on it to at my current address?

He printed off a copy of my statement from the internet PDF and sent it to me.  It arrived, surprisingly, in about 4 days.  Because he put it in a windowed envelope, I don't even have the envelope with my address on it to use. Arrrrrrrgh!

Tried to get a paper copy of a bill from Sky. Phone wait would be over 15 minutes, the voice suggested I text, as it would be much faster.  Waited 10 minutes on hold, then gave up and texted. After much back and forth (with like 10 minute pauses between communications), them sending me a gazillion texts, they sent one that said I had to click on the link to continue. I do not use a smart phone, so I cannot click on links. They then popped up with I would have to phone.  {Grrr}

Phoned. On hold for 10 minutes. Had to repeatedly tell it that, no, I didn't want to use the freaking "faster" text service. Bottom line, they can't send copies of anything. Did I know I could go online? (I swear, if I hear that one more time, after telling someone I need a formal, mailed hardcopy statement....) Went through it again, slowly. Need. A. Hardcopy. A. Printed. Statement. MAILED. To. Me.   No, they don't do that, sorry. I can change my settings and for 1.75 my next bill would be mailed to me. (Next month.)

Sigh. At least SSE sent me one almost immediately. So I only need one more.

Contacted my bank in the States. Asked if they could please send me a hardcopy of my most recent statement, which has been in my new name for a few years now. (This was like two weeks ago.) Gave them the address here. All supposedly was set. Should have gone out the next day. (They certainly billed me for it.) Just looked online and it looks like they sent it to my mail forwarding service in Houston, which still hasn't logged it as arrived. Once it does, it will take another 10 days to get here - assuming it does get here.

Contacted my old energy provider for a duplicate bill from 2016 (in the new name). About three weeks ago. Gave them the address here. They said it would go out within 48 hours. Guess what is not here yet?

Sigh.

Just checked online at my HMRC account. They have changed my name, bless them. And, for some reason, decided that I am now a Mrs.

Sigh. Went in and updated that back to Ms.

At least I have a copy of my national insurance number with my new name at my current address that I can download. But I can't use that for Eire, as it's a download.

I wonder if my TV license would work? I just renewed that the other day, and a paper copy is supposed to be on the way.....

{Just shoot me now and get it over with?}
Oh you poor thing!! Does it never end!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 09:29:05 PM »
Apparently not. I'm going to try opening a savings account online with Tesco for a pound. That oughta generate some paper mail. Hopefully.  ::)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 09:46:37 PM »
Apparently not. I'm going to try opening a savings account online with Tesco for a pound. That oughta generate some paper mail. Hopefully.  ::)

That will work!  :)

• Liked: 223
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 10:11:25 PM »
That really sucks, Nan. Why does life have to be so difficult?

Is it any piece of mail that you need in your new name or does it need to be from certain sources?

Could you get a Sainsbury's Nectar card and request a replacement card or keychain card or something that would generate mail for you in your new name? You could get something similar with Tesco, Waitrose, IKEA.... I'm just not sure if they'd work for what you need.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »
Oh, I'm just having a snit fit. I'll get the stuff, it's just a pain in the tush. >:(

This is not terribly urgent, but I need to get it done before we send the Daughter's citizenship application in, as a copy of my Irish passport needs to go in with her application. My current one expires at the end of the summer, so now's the best time to get it taken care of.   I don't want to send a copy of my passport in her application that has a different name associated with it when they finally get around to processing her application and checking that doc in six months. (That just gives an opportunity for things to get muddled.) I had correspondence with someone in the Irish bureaucracy back in August about trying to get citizenship for her that was extremely encouraging. I hope that window hasn't closed - it may well have, given the time lag between the "do this" instructions and our finally doing them. Darn it, anyway! I was ready to go with her stuff back in last September, but she back-burnered it for reasons unknown to me and only last month got the necessary signatures. The Daughter has a really unattractive tendency to procrastinate. We should be all done with that stuff now, not starting it.

So I'm doing my stuff now and she can wait a bit longer. Because I managed to PDF all my important docs before leaving the USA, rather than keeping hardcopies (I thought I had set back a couple of bills, but they are nowhere to be found), I have had to wait until after the "two years since" date on the first reliable proof-of-use documents to submit my renewal in the new name request. That date has just now passed.  Delays for either process are not a terribly important issue right now (unless the very elderly witness on her paperwork dies!), I guess. Just frustrating.

It's just that I want to get this done and over with, and things that should not be complicated, that seem straightforward, just...aren't. Like the guy sending me a print out of the PDF after I explained why I had to contact him both by phone and via email (because I couldn't use a print out of the PDF) and then him sending it in a plastic-window envelope, rather than a solid paper one that would have at least had my name and the postal franking date on it. That kind of thing. It's people not listening that makes me crazy. (Or in this case, having the reading comprehension of a banana slug.)

Yeah, I got a new Tesco card. It didn't come with a date on anything, unfortunately. Does have the name and address, though. And it's reassuring to see the correct name on the piece of plastic.  ;D  I have a print-out of my Tesco shop from last week with name, address, and date, but I'm not sure that qualifies for what they want. Even stretching the "correspondence from public/private org" bit. I would feel better with a utility bill, bank account statement, or something from my GP that wasn't asking me to come in for a  procedure. (I've sent them word that my name is changed at N.I.). I also have a "you owe money to the post office for customs" slip from a couple of weeks ago, but it only has the last name on it, although it's dated. Had thought about throwing that one in, too. My experience with dealing with the Irish bureaucracy is that it's a tad bit like going into an asylum to visit your old auntie who has gone 'round the bend. She usually makes sense, but now and then she wants you to pet the neon-colored unicorn that's standing next to her.  ;) 

What it says online is:

Two documents that show you are using your new name, such as your driver's licence, college identification card, school report, social welfare receipts, pay slip, utility bills, bank statements or official correspondence from a public or private sector organisation.

But when I wrote the Embassy in London they want two documents per year since my name changed, and they have to go back at least until two years from the date I send in my renewal application.

Fortunately, I have my USA passport, which is dated 13 April 2016, and a letter from the SSA acknowledging my application for change of name on the same date. I'm a little concerned with that one, as I think it may be a photocopy, but I can't tell for sure. (Hopefully, they won't either.) The wayward duplicate utility bill would solve that dilemma.  And getting something for this year. It's just the matter of waiting another couple of weeks, rather than sending it in "as is" and hoping the administrator on the other end isn't too strict.

Eh, it'll all sort out. I'm just venting.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:42:05 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 11:04:55 AM »
This should fix it all.

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
Oh. Dear. God.

So, the archival utility bill from two years ago that I requested was sent out on April 6. It's now 10 days later. I've been getting mail from the USA in about 4 days, so my spidy senses were tingling.

Got on chat with the electric company there. Oh, yes, they sent the bill out on the 6th. To the service address. This is after I'd had extensive conversation with the person on the 6th and had to spell G.L.A.S.G.O.W. repeatedly so she got it right. And absolutely it was going to be sent to me in the UK, not the old address.

So, I told the guy today what it was that I needed, again. That I needed a duplicate of the bill in hardcopy, that I had downloaded a PDF but could not use it.  So his response? Did you know you can go online and access your bills as PDFs? I swear, if he had'a been in the room I'd have throat punched him. 

Went through it very slowly and clearly again. No, I ~cannot~ use a printout of a PDF. I need a bona-fide original or duplicate printed as an original (front and back, etc.) of the bill. Sent in one of their envelopes. Through the mail. For the government. Gave him my mailing address here again. Did he understand? Can he do it or not? Oh, yes, he understood and  could do it. But did I know that I can log in and view my bills as PDFs?  HOLY FRIJOLES. What is happening to people's brains out there???? I wish they'd stop dicking around on their phones at work!   >:( >:(

I'm horrible with taxes. I know that. It's an embarrassment that I have trouble understanding much dealing with them. But otherwise I'm relatively literate. And if someone writes "I need a duplicate of the ~original~ (with much emphasis on original) as a hardcopy paper bill mailed to me ASAP because I cannot use a PDF" I'm pretty sure I wouldn't then say "Did you know you can go online and download your old bills as PDFs?" TWICE in one conversation!  I had to explain to him that mail is only forwarded for a year. So mail sent to me at my old address is now bouncing back to sender. Can he please read back the address to which he's to send the bill? (He did so correctly.)

Starting a pool, anyone want to be if that bill shows up? I'm thinking it's going to my old service address. Again. I'm going to go live in a cave somewhere when all this is done and only come out when the food delivery truck shows up.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:23:36 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 10:47:32 PM »
You can register to be a blood donor and get official mail. Also, register as an organ donor.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links