Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Washington (state) to Devon  (Read 2575 times)

• Liked: 113
Re: Washington (state) to Devon
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 07:00:08 PM »
We do do that, don't we?!  ;D

You do? Nah! Hahaha 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

Washington (state) to Devon
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 07:07:03 PM »
Completely understand! You could still have the legal part in the US then a blessing in the UK, no-one would even have to know that the UK ceremony was not the real wedding... we've quite a few members who did it that way.. just another option. 

Thomas1990, I understand your considerations for wanting to get married in the UK. But it is really much more expensive to go the fiance visa route. You would be paying the same amount for a fiance visa that’s only valid for 6 months. Only to have to do the same thing again for the spouse visa.

To make the visa process cheaper and wasier, my husband and I got married in the US in a confidential civil ceremony at the county clerk’s office. Only people who attended were our son, parents, siblings, and grandparents. At some point next year we will plan for the “real wedding”. You can even do it with just the two of you in attendance. Confidential just means the marriage is not a matter of public record and the only people who can access the record are me and my husband.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:13:00 PM by masonjohnsmum »
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

• Liked: 7
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 07:32:55 PM »
Thomas1990, I understand your considerations for wanting to get married in the UK. But it is really much more expensive to go the fiance visa route. You would be paying the same amount for a fiance visa that’s only valid for 6 months. Only to have to do the same thing again for the spouse visa.

To make the visa process cheaper and wasier, my husband and I got married in the US in a confidential civil ceremony at the county clerk’s office. Only people who attended were our son, parents, siblings, and grandparents. At some point next year we will plan for the “real wedding”. You can even do it with just the two of you in attendance. Confidential just means the marriage is not a matter of public record and the only people who can access the record are me and my husband.

Thanks for the advice, it is something I will have to discuss with my fiancee but is something to consider.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 07:37:49 PM »
I second the idea above of getting legally married in the US - you could do a court house wedding with you, your fiance and her mother, and then have a large blessing ceremony in the UK. No one would need to know the UK wedding is not a legal ceremony, and the only difference would be not signing the marriage certificate.

To give an example of the costs and timeline:

Fiance visa to marry in the UK
- 6-month fiance visa... £1,523, plus £573 for priority processing
- she moves to the UK. She cannot work, study or use the NHS for free. She will need health insurance for the 6 months
- she has to be resident for 7 days before giving notice to marry
- you have to wait another 28 days after giving notice before marrying, but because she has a visa, the case could be referred to UKVI and take 70 days
- you get married
- she applies to switch to FLR(M) visa to stay in the UK, which costs £1,033 plus £500 IHS surcharge (for NHS access... but this will double to £1,000 sometime this year)
- it takes up to 8 weeks to be processed by post, or she can pay an extra £610 to apply in-person at a premium appointment for a same-day decision
- once she has the FLR(M) visa, she can work, study and use the NHS

Total visa cost without priority or premium service = £3,056 (or £3,556 if IHS surcharge has doubled by then)
Total visa cost with priority or premium service = £4,239 (or £4,739 if IHS surcharge has doubled by then)

Marry in the US then apply for spousal visa
- you fly to the US as a visitor, and get married (shouldn't take more than 2-4 days)
- Apply for 33-month spousal visa... £1,523, plus £600 IHS surcharge (which will double to £1,200 sometime this year), plus £573 for priority processing
- she moves to the UK. She can work, study and use the NHS for free immediately

Total visa cost without priority service = £2,123 (or £2,723 if IHS surcharge has doubled)
Total visa cost with priority service = £2,696 (or £3,296 if IHS surcharge has doubled)

So, if I've calculated the differences correctly, you'll save between £933 and £2,616 in visa fees if you marry in the US instead of the UK. Of course, you would have the cost of your flight to the US as well, but that should be cheaper than £933.

Not to mention it'll be less stressful as you won't have to worry about when you can hold the UK wedding (in regards to residency and giving notice), and you won't have to file 2 visa applications.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:38:55 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 07:49:27 PM »
I second the idea above of getting legally married in the US - you could do a court house wedding with you, your fiance and her mother, and then have a large blessing ceremony in the UK. No one would need to know the UK wedding is not a legal ceremony, and the only difference would be not signing the marriage certificate.

To give an example of the costs and timeline:

Fiance visa to marry in the UK
- 6-month fiance visa... £1,523, plus £573 for priority processing
- she moves to the UK. She cannot work, study or use the NHS for free. She will need health insurance for the 6 months
- she has to be resident for 7 days before giving notice to marry
- you have to wait another 28 days after giving notice before marrying, but because she has a visa, the case could be referred to UKVI and take 70 days
- you get married
- she applies to switch to FLR(M) visa to stay in the UK, which costs £1,033 plus £500 IHS surcharge (for NHS access... but this will double to £1,000 sometime this year)
- it takes up to 8 weeks to be processed by post, or she can pay an extra £610 to apply in-person at a premium appointment for a same-day decision
- once she has the FLR(M) visa, she can work, study and use the NHS

Total visa cost without priority or premium service = £3,056 (or £3,556 if IHS surcharge has doubled by then)
Total visa cost with priority or premium service = £4,239 (or £4,739 if IHS surcharge has doubled by then)

Marry in the US then apply for spousal visa
- you fly to the US as a visitor, and get married (shouldn't take more than 2-4 days)
- Apply for 33-month spousal visa... £1,523, plus £600 IHS surcharge (which will double to £1,200 sometime this year), plus £573 for priority processing
- she moves to the UK. She can work, study and use the NHS for free immediately

Total visa cost without priority service = £2,123 (or £2,723 if IHS surcharge has doubled)
Total visa cost with priority service = £2,696 (or £3,296 if IHS surcharge has doubled)

So, if I've calculated the differences correctly, you'll save between £933 and £2,616 in visa fees if you marry in the US instead of the UK. Of course, you would have the cost of your flight to the US as well, but that should be cheaper than £933.

Not to mention it'll be less stressful as you won't have to worry about when you can hold the UK wedding (in regards to residency and giving notice), and you won't have to file 2 visa applications.

Thanks for the information and breakdown, it is very helpful :) At any rate, we won't be applying until  early August, so we will discuss this and make a decision.

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 08:00:23 PM »
Thanks for the information and breakdown, it is very helpful :) At any rate, we won't be applying until  early August, so we will discuss this and make a decision.

No problem :).

If you do the fiance visa, when are you planning to get married in the UK?

I would plan for her to arrive in the UK at least 2 months before the wedding, to give enough time to give notice... and in August, the visa processing time can be anywhere from 2 months (priority) or 4-5 months (non-priority).

So, if you're applying in August, I would be prepared not to get the visa until October at the earliest (if you pay for priority), and not to be able to marry until November at the earliest, but maybe December or January, depending on the notice period (it should only be the standard 28 days with a fiance visa, as you'll already have permission to marry, but you never know).

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »
No problem :).

If you do the fiance visa, when are you planning to get married in the UK?

I would plan for her to arrive in the UK at least 2 months before the wedding, to give enough time to give notice... and in August, the visa processing time can be anywhere from 2 months (priority) or 4-5 months (non-priority).

So, if you're applying in August, I would be prepared not to get the visa until October at the earliest (if you pay for priority), and not to be able to marry until November at the earliest, but maybe December or January, depending on the notice period (it should only be the standard 28 days with a fiance visa, as you'll already have permission to marry, but you never know).

That's true, and your timescales are roughly the same as what I had worked out. If it was the Fiance visa, we would marry around December (it wouldn't be a major problem for us as we're both a bit strange and quite like the winter months  ;D), plus it could mean her mother could stay over for Christmas.

If we did decide spouse route, I would fly over prior to August and marry in the US then submit in August :)

The reason it is August is also down to the fact my pay goes up above the threshold in July due to a pay increase at work (I am currenty £120 p/a short  ::) ) But I have been doing overtime every month, (I believe backdated overtime is fine, just overtime going forward can't be considered) so every month's payslip will be above the minimum requirement. (I will get a letter of my new pay contract and if needed a letter from HR confirming my pay will be over £18,600 from then on, if required).

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 08:43:07 PM »
The reason it is August is also down to the fact my pay goes up above the threshold in July due to a pay increase at work (I am currenty £120 p/a short  ::) ) But I have been doing overtime every month, (I believe backdated overtime is fine, just overtime going forward can't be considered) so every month's payslip will be above the minimum requirement. (I will get a letter of my new pay contract and if needed a letter from HR confirming my pay will be over £18,600 from then on, if required).

Fair enough.

It sounds like you'll need to apply under Category B then, since you won't have been earning a fixed salary of £18,600 for 6 months yet.

You'll need to show:
- current (new) salary of at least £18,600 per year
AND
- total earnings of £18,600 or more before tax in the last 12 months (the money can come from any period during the 12 months and any jobs you have held... so not all of your payslips have to be above the threshold, as long as they add together to give £18,600 or more)

So, you'll need to provide:
1. 12 full months of original payslips (I assume, August 2017 to August 2018) showing a total earnings of £18,600 or more before tax, the latest dated no more than 28 days before your online application date
2. 12 full months of original bank statements showing the deposit of every single payslip, the latest dated no more than 28 days before your online application date
3. a letter from your employer, dated within 28 days of your online application date, stating ALL of the following:
i) employment and new salary
ii) length of employment
iii) length of time earning new salary
iv) type of employment

Optional but recommended:
4. original job contract
5. latest P60

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 09:18:54 PM »
Fair enough.

It sounds like you'll need to apply under Category B then, since you won't have been earning a fixed salary of £18,600 for 6 months yet.

You'll need to show:
- current (new) salary of at least £18,600 per year
AND
- total earnings of £18,600 or more before tax in the last 12 months (the money can come from any period during the 12 months and any jobs you have held... so not all of your payslips have to be above the threshold, as long as they add together to give £18,600 or more)

So, you'll need to provide:
1. 12 full months of original payslips (I assume, August 2017 to August 2018) showing a total earnings of £18,600 or more before tax, the latest dated no more than 28 days before your online application date
2. 12 full months of original bank statements showing the deposit of every single payslip, the latest dated no more than 28 days before your online application date
3. a letter from your employer, dated within 28 days of your online application date, stating ALL of the following:
i) employment and new salary
ii) length of employment
iii) length of time earning new salary
iv) type of employment

Optional but recommended:
4. original job contract
5. latest P60

Ok, I see  :) That sounds fine, I am sure I can get that information together, very helpful as I didn't realize I'd need 12 payslips. When you say category B, is this something that needs to be mentioned in the application, or is this just the section that the case officer will judge my pay information under?

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 09:32:24 PM »
Ok, I see  :) That sounds fine, I am sure I can get that information together, very helpful as I didn't realize I'd need 12 payslips. When you say category B, is this something that needs to be mentioned in the application, or is this just the section that the case officer will judge my pay information under?

There are various financial requirement categories that you can qualify for the visa under, which are outlined in this document:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636618/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf

You will need to fill out the correct category in Section 3 of the VAF4a Appendix 2 form.

Appendix 2 is the second half of the fiance/spousal visa application form and contains all the questions about how you meet the fiance/spousal visa requirements:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-uk-visa-for-family-settlement-form-vaf4a

The financial categories are as follows:

Category A: Salaried/non-salaried employment income
- you have been with your current employer for at least 6 months AND earning a salary of £18,600 or more for all of that time

Category B: Salaried/non-salaried employment income
- you have been with your employer and/or earning a salary of £18,600 or more for LESS THAN 6 months
AND
- you have earned at least £18,600 in the last 12 months

Category C: Non-employment income
- you have non-employment income of at least £18,600 per year. For example, income from renting property you own, an academic stipend, maintenance payments from an ex, interest from stocks/shares etc.

Category D: Cash Savings
- if you have no other income, you have cash savings of at least £62,500, which you have held in full in your bank account(s) for at least 6 months
- or you can combine cash savings with employment income if you don't earn at least £18,600 salary... but the first £16,000 of savings don't count and then you need 2.5 x the difference between your salary and £18,600
- So, if you are currently £120 per year short of £18,600, then if you also have cash savings of at least £16,000 + (2.5 x £120) = £16,300, which you have held for at least 6 months, then you could apply right now

Category E: Pension Income
- you are current drawing a monthly pension, which amounts to £18,600 per year

Category F and G: Self-employment Income
- Cat F: you have self-employment income of at least £18,600 (after expenses, but before taxes) from the last full financial year
- Cat G: you have self-employment income of an average of £18,600 (after expenses, but before taxes) from the last 2 full financial years

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 10:05:58 PM »
There are various financial requirement categories that you can qualify for the visa under, which are outlined in this document:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636618/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf

You will need to fill out the correct category in Section 3 of the VAF4a Appendix 2 form.

Appendix 2 is the second half of the fiance/spousal visa application form and contains all the questions about how you meet the fiance/spousal visa requirements:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-uk-visa-for-family-settlement-form-vaf4a

The financial categories are as follows:

Category A: Salaried/non-salaried employment income
- you have been with your current employer for at least 6 months AND earning a salary of £18,600 or more for all of that time

Category B: Salaried/non-salaried employment income
- you have been with your employer and/or earning a salary of £18,600 or more for LESS THAN 6 months
AND
- you have earned at least £18,600 in the last 12 months

Category C: Non-employment income
- you have non-employment income of at least £18,600 per year. For example, income from renting property you own, an academic stipend, maintenance payments from an ex, interest from stocks/shares etc.

Category D: Cash Savings
- if you have no other income, you have cash savings of at least £62,500, which you have held in full in your bank account(s) for at least 6 months
- or you can combine cash savings with employment income if you don't earn at least £18,600 salary... but the first £16,000 of savings don't count and then you need 2.5 x the difference between your salary and £18,600
- So, if you are currently £120 per year short of £18,600, then if you also have cash savings of at least £16,000 + (2.5 x £120) = £16,300, which you have held for at least 6 months, then you could apply right now

Category E: Pension Income
- you are current drawing a monthly pension, which amounts to £18,600 per year

Category F and G: Self-employment Income
- Cat F: you have self-employment income of at least £18,600 (after expenses, but before taxes) from the last full financial year
- Cat G: you have self-employment income of an average of £18,600 (after expenses, but before taxes) from the last 2 full financial years

Ahh I see. Again, thank you so much for your help with this! :) I will make sure to get those payslips and everything else I need.

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 10:08:50 PM »
Ahh I see. Again, thank you so much for your help with this! :) I will make sure to get those payslips and everything else I need.

Make sure to post the list of documents you plan to submit when that time rolls around. So the UKY visa experts can help you make sure you have everything!

#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

• Liked: 37
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 12:46:52 AM »
I just wanted to say hello! I am a Washington stater in process for my spousal visa to move to Southampton. I'm not helpful like the responses you already have gotten but I will be cheering you on and wishing you luck :)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Nationality:  US Citizen; husband is UK Citizen
First Spouse Visa - Applied Feb 2018, Approved May 2018
FLR(M) - Applied January 2021, Approved May 2021
ILR(M) - Applied May 2023, Approved June 2023
Citizenship - Pending Application

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 07:11:47 AM »
masonjohnsmum - I will be sure to post my list before we submit, to ensure I have everything :)

kerinay - Thank you very much, and best of luck with your visa too, it's an exciting time :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 08:46:51 AM »
If you guys do decide that you want the legal paperwork for marriage to be done in the UK - do NOT book ANYTHING until you have your visa in hand and all the dates agreed with the registry office.  We've seen far too many members be disappointed and some have even had their families in the UK for the wedding when the applicant was still stuck in the USA!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab