Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Will I ever actually apply?  (Read 5373 times)

• Liked: 65
Will I ever actually apply?
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:03:28 PM »
I feel like I will be forever “planning” our move back to England. In the past 18 months our plan has changed about half a dozen times!  The latest version, although financially it makes the most sense, also means I’ll have to wait even longer to apply. I thought we’d be applying in January, then we switched it to May - thinking my husband could secure work while he was there the last couple weeks. But that trip ended up being much different since my MIL boyfriend died from a totally unexpected heart attack. So the trip became more about helping out his mother and job hunting was not a priority. So now, my husband and daughter will be going over in August and I’ll have to wait until he finds a job or I can wait until the end of October since my SIL gifted us the £6,500 we need to go the cash route - just means I wouldn’t be able to apply until the end of October. I think I’m just going to stick with that. At least I can tell everyone when I’m applying. I get asked daily “when are you going to England?” I should have a shirt made that says “I don’t know”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spouse Visa issued 31 December 2018
Moved to UK 19 January 2019
FLR app submitted 1 October 2021
Biometrics 9 October 2021
FLR approval 31 October 2021
ILR approval 10 March 2024

• Liked: 6110
Re: Will I ever actually apply?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:25:50 PM »
So now, my husband and daughter will be going over in August and I’ll have to wait until he finds a job or I can wait until the end of October since my SIL gifted us the £6,500 we need to go the cash route - just means I wouldn’t be able to apply until the end of October. I think I’m just going to stick with that. At least I can tell everyone when I’m applying. I get asked daily “when are you going to England?” I should have a shirt made that says “I don’t know”

That's really great news watersfam!  :) And just to put a little positive spin on the wait; you'll be entirely missing the summer rush and will be getting in before the Christmas one. Your timing is perfect!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:00:00 AM by larrabee »

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:34:46 PM »
That's really great news watersfam!  :) And just to put a little positive spin on the wait; you'll be entirely missing the summer rush and will be getting in before the Christmas one. Your timing is perfect!  ;D
Thanks larrabee! While it is frustrating to keep pushing it back I am totally looking at it from that positive perspective. Also the cash route seems simpler and a bit more iron clad than the employment + savings route. So I’ll keep checking in here and you can expect my final checklist sometime between October 15-31!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:38:00 PM »
I'm totally with you watersfan.

Firstly, let me say that I am very sorry to learn of the loss of your mother-in-law's partner. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

I had ILR back in 1996 and my family moved to the US in 2004. My husband and I decided in 2016 that when our youngest would finish high school in May 2019, my husband would ask to be transferred to his company's office in England. We decided to sell our house and hold on to the profit for the visa costs and the move and some money for a deposit on a new house. We moved into a rental home so it would be easy to move when the time was right.

That was a great plan until he lost his job in June of 2017. We had to break into our savings in order to keep our family afloat. My husband spent six months looking for full-time work but didn't find any so he decided that it was time his "side hustle business" should be his full-time business. I am totally behind his decision and he is profitable but since we are now self-employed, our savings has had to cover our health insurance and it's an eye-watering $1500/ month with a very high deductible since we are self-funding it. It's just health insurance and not dental, by the way.

A few months ago, my son fell over (sober, I'll add) and knocked himself unconscious and lost his two front teeth. The ER bill and the dentist bill cost us $15,000 out-of-pocket. Guess where that money came from?

Because we were initially going to move with a job, we didn't have the equivalent of GBP 62,500 in our savings account and with the events of the past few months, we don't have anywhere near the amount in savings to move under the "savings" category.

I'm disheartened a bit and feeling like we will never leave either. Who knows if we are going to return now. It's all up in the air and my husband keeps saying, "when we move". I am wondering how long it will be if at all.

I guess that we will both just have to be positive.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 12:02:59 AM »
I'm totally with you watersfan.

Firstly, let me say that I am very sorry to learn of the loss of your mother-in-law's partner. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

I had ILR back in 1996 and my family moved to the US in 2004. My husband and I decided in 2016 that when our youngest would finish high school in May 2019, my husband would ask to be transferred to his company's office in England. We decided to sell our house and hold on to the profit for the visa costs and the move and some money for a deposit on a new house. We moved into a rental home so it would be easy to move when the time was right.

That was a great plan until he lost his job in June of 2017. We had to break into our savings in order to keep our family afloat. My husband spent six months looking for full-time work but didn't find any so he decided that it was time his "side hustle business" should be his full-time business. I am totally behind his decision and he is profitable but since we are now self-employed, our savings has had to cover our health insurance and it's an eye-watering $1500/ month with a very high deductible since we are self-funding it. It's just health insurance and not dental, by the way.

A few months ago, my son fell over (sober, I'll add) and knocked himself unconscious and lost his two front teeth. The ER bill and the dentist bill cost us $15,000 out-of-pocket. Guess where that money came from?

Because we were initially going to move with a job, we didn't have the equivalent of GBP 62,500 in our savings account and with the events of the past few months, we don't have anywhere near the amount in savings to move under the "savings" category.

I'm disheartened a bit and feeling like we will never leave either. Who knows if we are going to return now. It's all up in the air and my husband keeps saying, "when we move". I am wondering how long it will be if at all.

I guess that we will both just have to be positive.
Thank you for your condolences. It was especially difficult for my son who is already in the UK and lives with my MIL.  I was quite glad that my husband could be there to help out. I must say that reading your post makes me feel like a whiney toddler though. I’m so sorry for all your major hurdles. Wish life would just cooperate with our plans!
I’m a firm believer that when we persevere through the hard times we enjoy the good times (when we get to them) even more.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:21:12 AM »
Watersfam - did your SIL give you £62,500?  or did you only need £6,500 to make up a shortfall? 

These things have a way of working out.  And as Larabee said, it'll be a really quick time to apply.   :)

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
Watersfam - did your SIL give you £62,500?  or did you only need £6,500 to make up a shortfall? 

These things have a way of working out.  And as Larabee said, it'll be a really quick time to apply.   :)

I think they had the bulk of the money and just needed a little bit more.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:46:33 AM »
I think they had the bulk of the money and just needed a little bit more.  :)

Whew!

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 12:51:03 AM »

SIL only gave us £6500 - do I need something from her that states it’s a gift?

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 06:07:08 AM »
SIL only gave us £6500 - do I need something from her that states it’s a gift?

You will need to declare it as a gift on appendix 2 and provide a letter from her stating the same also.  They need to know that the money is not a loan, which is not permitted.

• Liked: 46
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 01:57:11 AM »
I feel like I will be forever “planning” our move back to England. In the past 18 months our plan has changed about half a dozen times!  The latest version, although financially it makes the most sense, also means I’ll have to wait even longer to apply. I thought we’d be applying in January, then we switched it to May - thinking my husband could secure work while he was there the last couple weeks. But that trip ended up being much different since my MIL boyfriend died from a totally unexpected heart attack. So the trip became more about helping out his mother and job hunting was not a priority. So now, my husband and daughter will be going over in August and I’ll have to wait until he finds a job or I can wait until the end of October since my SIL gifted us the £6,500 we need to go the cash route - just means I wouldn’t be able to apply until the end of October. I think I’m just going to stick with that. At least I can tell everyone when I’m applying. I get asked daily “when are you going to England?” I should have a shirt made that says “I don’t know”

So sorry for your loss  :-\\\\ larrabee does have a point - you’ll miss a lot of the influx of applications so hopefully it’s a quick approval once you apply. I feel your frustration though because I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been asked when I’ll be coming to England.  ::) Should be applying soon as my new passport is on its way to me, but I might scream if someone else asks when I’ll be there  ::)
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »
Still getting asked daily “when are you leaving?” Ugh!!! Even after a mass email to friends and family with the latest update and timeframe. The crazy thing is it’s the same few people at work and I just want to ask “were you not listening the last two times I told you?” Give me strength!

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 11:10:20 PM »
I am so close to being able to apply now - yay! I’m going to resurrect this thread and use it for any questions I have.

Was looking at the application form online and just wanted to confirm that if the heading on the page is “Spouse” then I want to enter his info. Seems like a really dumb question but it threw me when it asked for mother and father info - it’s his parents, correct?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 11:36:52 PM »
No, it’s your parents (assuming you are the applicant).

It’s badly worded/designed, but it is asking for your parents’ details so they can make sure that you don’t already have claim to U.K. citizenship through your parents (in which case you would not need a visa at all).

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 11:39:08 PM »
No, it’s your parents (assuming you are the applicant).

It’s badly worded/designed, but it is asking for your parents’ details so they can make sure that you don’t already have claim to U.K. citizenship through your parents (in which case you would not need a visa at all).

Ah I see - it is def badly worded! I thought it was a little weird but glad I asked!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab