Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Posted my taxes  (Read 526 times)

• Liked: 253
Posted my taxes
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:27:06 PM »
So I posted my taxes from London last Tuesday (10th), the shipping label says it shipped on the 10th. I just checked the tracking, and it's been stuck in JFK (I assume customs) till yesterday the 16th.

Am I going to be alright timeline wise? It says that it has to be dated as posted by the 17th April, and technically mine was dated and posted before then. Just freaking out a bit...
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 8
Re: Posted my taxes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:58:46 PM »
So I posted my taxes from London last Tuesday (10th), the shipping label says it shipped on the 10th. I just checked the tracking, and it's been stuck in JFK (I assume customs) till yesterday the 16th.

Am I going to be alright timeline wise? It says that it has to be dated as posted by the 17th April, and technically mine was dated and posted before then. Just freaking out a bit...

Presumably you mean you are resident in the UK? If so you have an automatic extension to June 15 anyway.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »
Presumably you mean you are resident in the UK? If so you have an automatic extension to June 15 anyway.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad

Yes, sorry. I'm resident of the UK, and I just did my first set of taxes solo. A bit nervous about everything so I forgot to add the residency bit.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »
Yes, sorry. I'm resident of the UK, and I just did my first set of taxes solo. A bit nervous about everything so I forgot to add the residency bit.

Don’t worry, you have until June 15th as a UK resident. I haven’t done mine yet.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:16:08 PM »
Don’t worry, you have until June 15th as a UK resident. I haven’t done mine yet.

w00t! I'll keep the later date in mind for next year to save me a load of stress  ::)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:02 AM »
I hope the same is true for the final tax year with expatriation statement. My tax preparer sent me everything about 10 days before the 17 April deadline. I posted two envelopes, one to Austin and the other, a 6 page copy of one form, to Philadelphia. Both are still in transit today with no indication of when they will arrive. I didn’t owe any taxes or come anywhere near being a covered expatriate so pray that I am in the clear.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:46 AM »
Be calm. The deadline is a postmark rule. You have a postmark that is well before 15 June; which is all you will ever need. Unless you used a private courier service, racking frequently is only ever to an airport in the United States. If you are concerned for any reason, you can request a transcript in 2 or 3 months time.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »
I hope the same is true for the final tax year with expatriation statement. My tax preparer sent me everything about 10 days before the 17 April deadline. I posted two envelopes, one to Austin and the other, a 6 page copy of one form, to Philadelphia. Both are still in transit today with no indication of when they will arrive. I didn’t owe any taxes or come anywhere near being a covered expatriate so pray that I am in the clear.
There is no 17 April deadline for these forms. The deadline is 15 June. If your preparer told you that was the deadline, I would start being concerned that something more material was an issue. We recommend to our clients filing the Austin version by private courier service (the copy to Philadelphia must be sent by mail). Is this what your preparer recommended?

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 08:23:50 PM »
Question, why Philadelphia? I was told on Turbotax to only send stuff to Austin and IL for state stuff (I earned a tiny income while I was in IL waiting for my visa to be granted).

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 08:31:08 PM »
Thanks for replying, Guya.

The longer form is in a UPS distribution centre in Boston as of this afternoon. I was sent a generic letter listing all of the ways to send my tax forms. My preparer said nothing about sending the longer form by courier, no. He told me the deadline was 17 April and asked me to send him a copy of my postal receipt. He never said anything about June. I remembered reading about an extension but I wasn't sure it applied to me with these final documents.

If all goes well with these forms, I won't have to deal with this firm ever again. Hallelujah!

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »
Question, why Philadelphia? I was told on Turbotax to only send stuff to Austin and IL for state stuff (I earned a tiny income while I was in IL waiting for my visa to be granted).

I think it's because I have renounced my citizenship and had to send a copy of one of the forms to Philly. I don't know exactly why.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 08:51:26 PM »
I think it's because I have renounced my citizenship and had to send a copy of one of the forms to Philly. I don't know exactly why.

Ahhhh thought Turbotax had missed something and got slightly worried  ;D

Sponsored Links