Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: SSSSSSUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2514 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: SSSSSSUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »
I can't even explain to my husband what that is!  Maybe it exists by a different name here.  I don't know.  But I miss it too.   <sigh>

Is it bad that I have this pinned?
https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/06/best-hot-fudge-sauce/
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 03:51:00 PM »
No, I agree.   I am not displeased with my ice cream options.  Of course, every brand has their own recipe, and the ice cream cone I had 2 summers ago was one of the best I've ever had... I'd like more of that.

Yeah. I had a nice mint chocolate cone while we were at Dovedale. It was lovely. Are you trying to find the pointy cones or the ones like they had a Dairy Queen?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 04:47:34 PM »
I can't even explain to my husband what that is!  Maybe it exists by a different name here.  I don't know.  But I miss it too.   <sigh>
I got a pretty phenomenal chocolate ginger sauce from Grasmere when I was visiting a few years ago (and gingerbread for my mom), so they do make it some places. I don't think it's very common though :(

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
That is an awesome idea, larrabee... I'll try it when I've run out of mint chip.

ok, you're out of cones, sorry!  ;D

• Liked: 9
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »
Consider myself lucky today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 05:20:24 PM »
Is it bad that I have this pinned?
https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/06/best-hot-fudge-sauce/

No! Definitely not bad.  Thank you for sharing.  Did you try it with honey?  Or golden syrup?  I understand corn syrup is hard to find over here, so I'm wondering how those other two would do.

I've got a Crock Pot monkey bread experiment in the slow cooker right now.  I don't even know what possessed me.  But the dough... oh my gawd, it was so light and fluffy.  I have high hopes.  Yay for the Internet and random recipes.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 09:23:31 PM »
No! Definitely not bad.  Thank you for sharing.  Did you try it with honey?  Or golden syrup?  I understand corn syrup is hard to find over here, so I'm wondering how those other two would do.

I've got a Crock Pot monkey bread experiment in the slow cooker right now.  I don't even know what possessed me.  But the dough... oh my gawd, it was so light and fluffy.  I have high hopes.  Yay for the Internet and random recipes.
I haven't made it here since it's just me to eat it. Haha.
In the comments they talk about using more liquidy sweetner and how the corn syrup was used for shine rather than thickening and maple syrup worked! Haha. They give a ratio suggestion. But I can't remember exactly match decrease the liquid and increase the chocolate a bit.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 09:39:43 PM »
We saw it in Scotland too!

We are really enjoying having a car.

On Sunday we drove up to Glencoe then headed to Oban, Mull and Tobermoray.

Last night we went to Kilconquhar and Anstruther. Today we went to Elie, Crail, St Andrews and Falkland.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 113
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 08:26:42 AM »
What’s the town with the colorful buildings?

We are also settling in Scotland once I get my visa. So excited to explore the beautiful country side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »
What’s the town with the colorful buildings?

We are also settling in Scotland once I get my visa. So excited to explore the beautiful country side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That one is Tobermoray, on the Isle of Mull. It's quite famous as it was used for a children's program back in the day.

But you will find many Scottish harbour towns with colourful houses.

Scotland is absolutely amazing. Such varied landscape within a short distance of each other. We didn't travel all that far away and saw all of this stunning landscape.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 672
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »
Yep.

Looks like you had fun. The sun was beautiful yesterday - it's a sea of daffodils up here now in Scotland. And it was sunnier earlier today, but had gone gray again. I think it's gonna rain...

Did you buy any of the Mull cheddar? To die for!

(Oops, thinking of food again.)

Bryers makes an amazing mint ice cream, and it's sold here too!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »

How did this turn out?  We used to have money bread for breakfast on Christmas morning.  Did you make the dough yourself?

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »
Really.... sharing time!  What recipe are you using?

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »
How did this turn out?  We used to have money bread for breakfast on Christmas morning.  Did you make the dough yourself?

Really.... sharing time!  What recipe are you using?

Yes, and it turned out decent.  It was clearly made in a slow cooker instead of an oven, but it was soft and breadlike (though with one particularly crispy side), and it satisfied the craving.  I halved the recipe (without halving the yeast, but it was such a quick "bake" that I figured it wouldn't matter... I don't think it did), because it was an experiment, and only for my husband and I.  He said it kind of reminded him of lardy cake, which he'd been craving lately.

Here are the recipes I hacked together to make it:

https://www.bakedbyanintrovert.com/slow-cooker-monkey-bread/
https://lifemadesimplebakes.com/2014/06/1-hour-cinnamon-rolls/

My actual measurements* were:

Bread
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 egg (approximately)
1 sachet of dried active yeast (I don't know if my yeast was "instant" or not, but I didn't prove it first, and my bread fluffed up as it should)
1/4 cup of water
2 tablespoons (1 fluid oz.) of milk
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Caramelly gooey glaze
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup of caster sugar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

Then I followed steps 1, 2, and 4 of the second recipe (the 1-hour cinnamon roll one), and steps for the coating of the first recipe (the monkey bread one).

1. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, yeast and salt.

2. In a small microwave safe bowl (or glass measuring cup), combine the sugar, butter, water and milk. Heat in the microwave until the mixture is hot and the butter is almost melted (it took about 1 minute 30 seconds on HIGH in my microwave). Gradually add the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and mix until a soft and sticky dough forms.

3. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.  Obviously, I skipped this step.  ;)

4. If using a stand mixer, switch to the dough hook and set on the lowest mixing setting for 4 minutes or until the dough becomes elastic or knead by hand on a lightly floured surface for 3-4 minutes. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow it to rest on the counter for 5 minutes.

-------

1. Meanwhile, melt the butter for the coating in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the sugars and cinnamon. Set aside.

2. Pinch off 2 tablespoon-sized portions of dough and shape them into balls. Roll each dough ball in the melted butter then in the sugar mixture to evenly coat. Arrange the dough balls in the bottom of the prepared slow cooker.

3. Place a double layer of paper towel under the lid to prevent condensation and cook on high for 2 hours. Remove the bread by lifting it out with the parchment paper or invert it out onto a large serving plate.

4. The bread is best enjoyed the same day but will keep for up to 5 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

* Sorry it's all imperial.  I started with American recipes, and it was easier to just go with them than to calculate conversions.  I assume you guys have measuring tools for imperial and metric.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:09:48 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
Thanks!  Daughter has company coming home with her tonight to sleep on the couch, so I think I'll make this to have for them (and me, me, me!)  in the morning. It sounds reeeeeeally good!  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab