Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: HMRC, need a second pair of eyes, 2017/18 tax & Residency?  (Read 999 times)

• Liked: 674
HMRC, need a second pair of eyes, 2017/18 tax & Residency?
« on: April 21, 2018, 06:15:58 PM »
My brain is melting. Help? I have done:

SA100 tax form
SA102 Employment form
SA 106 Foreign form
SA109 Residence, Remittance Basis, etc form
  HS302*

According to the instructions on Help Sheet 302, I had a substantial presence in the USA in 2017, and also 2016-back many years, so, I am considered a U.S. Resident for 2017 part of the tax year and can claim  income as taxable to the USA only for this year.  I had no UK source income. I filled out the form.

Also, on the 302, if it's applicable to send, it would seem to indicate that I would NOT send in an employment or foreign income page, as that income is being subtracted from what would appear on the respective pages. leaving nothing to enter.

SA102 Employment form - listed the vacation pay and performance bonus, and health benefits. Nothing else. [If HS302 negates this, I'd pull it from the packet.]

SA106 Foreign form - listed the 403b income and US tax on it only. The State Pension should be taxed only in the USA per the DTA, and the vacation pay isn't taxable due to its being associated with a prior tax year - and it's already listed on the employment page. (Don't want to go into Helpsheet 263 to calculate the UK tax on the 403b if it's not going to be taxed anyway.) [If HS302 negates this, I'd pull it from the packet.]

SA109 Residence, remittance basis, etc - Checked box 3, split year. Are they asking for the gross income in box 21, or the HMRC tax on it that I'd like relief on? (Income, right?)

Put all the notes re: leave pay being associated with prior year, State pension exempt, and also a chart of days spent in both USA/UK in calendar years 2014 onward. Noted that tax residence started 4 May when I signed our lease and had a home here.

Have I done the above correctly, and is there an other "explanatory" or other sheet that I need to include?

I've been at this since 9:00 this morning and simply cannot do any more on it. I'm bound to be missing something. Help?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:40:44 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
Re: HMRC, need a second pair of eyes, 2017/18 tax & Residency?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »
My brain is melting. Help? ....

...I've been at this since 9:00 this morning and simply cannot do any more on it. I'm bound to be missing something. Help?

Quit for the day!  Come back to it another time when you are fresh!  :)

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »
Yeah, got it sorted.  Technically I could (it appears) claim treaty residence in the USA for up to Dec 31, which would take care of many issues. Or not. As long as they don't come back and say my government pension is not a government pension, my income would be below the personal allowance in the UK anyway. If they come back on the pension, I'll counter with the treaty. I guess it'd be worth a try.

Hopefully it'll just all go nicely with no problems, and I can get down to dealing with IRS for pension and HMRC for social security, next time.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »
Yeah, got it sorted.  Technically I could (it appears) claim treaty residence in the USA for up to Dec 31, which would take care of many issues. Or not. As long as they don't come back and say my government pension is not a government pension, my income would be below the personal allowance in the UK anyway. If they come back on the pension, I'll counter with the treaty. I guess it'd be worth a try.

Hopefully it'll just all go nicely with no problems, and I can get down to dealing with IRS for pension and HMRC for social security, next time.

Your situation is beyond me but I'm relieved you've got it sorted!  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 07:21:47 PM »
Your situation is beyond me but I'm relieved you've got it sorted!  :)

+1
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »
[Famous last words, "it's sorted".   ;) ]  I guess I'll wait another day, look it over again, then pop it in the mail and hope they put me out of my misery quickly. My big mistake was contacting HMRC for advice on what to do, I think.  ;)  Was sent down a number of rabbit holes.

Any clue how long it would be before they send me an actual tax bill, or whatever they send you after you send in a self-assessment?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:17:16 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 07:45:32 PM »
Any clue how long it would be before they send me an actual tax bill, or whatever they send you after you send in a self-assessment?

That will happen as soon as they process it but it won't be due until next January, if you owe them.

Make sure you send it signed for, so you know that they got it because it takes a while for the website to update. 

The length of time can vary tremendously, I think 3 or 4 weeks was the quickest for me up to about 3 months.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 07:19:06 AM »
Thanks. Signed-for it is!

Just so I know what I need to pay before Dec 31 so I can pay it and take it off my US taxes, if needed. After this year it'll be a piece of cake, comparatively.  :)

I realize it should not have been that hard. I'm just completely paranoid about doing it properly and not claiming anything I shouldn't, while paying only what I should. I don't want a wonky tax return to be brought up if there's ever a case dealing with my ability to stay in the country that it would impact. And then there's the IRS. Who could choke off my income stream if I run afoul of them in any way.  So, yeah, doing taxes this year has been anxiety-provoking. So, next year it will be better.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:07:38 AM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab