Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Done with facebook  (Read 1558 times)

• Liked: 82
Re: Done with facebook
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »
That's why I love this place so much! It's so rare that such a diverse group of people get on as well as we do!  :D
Yep, this is a rare group. Not a single person here I don't like.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 10:28:42 PM »
I unfollowed that group a while back. They are so off with their advice, and I found hardly any of them were Americans so I don’t know if the rules are the same. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »
Yep, this is a rare group. Not a single person here I don't like.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not even Jimbo?   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
I heard that!

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »
I heard that!

Good!  You've been too quiet lately.  Not the same without you!!!

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 01:03:37 PM »
Good!  You've been too quiet lately.  Not the same without you!!!

Awwww, that's nice of you to notice.  I'm trying to buckle down and actually find a new contract so I get distracted from my real job of posting silly stuff here.  Right now, I should be taking an online course on the star schema. 

• Liked: 149
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »
star schema......I had to look it up. Then I had another beer.....it didn't help. Maybe another......
Fred

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
star schema......I had to look it up. Then I had another beer.....it didn't help. Maybe another......

Beer doesn't help. I haven't turned it on since 11:30 when the cleaner came and I was forced to go out for a pub lunch to give her some space.  It's got to do with a dude named Kimball.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 02:09:18 AM »
Awwww, that's nice of you to notice.  I'm trying to buckle down and actually find a new contract so I get distracted from my real job of posting silly stuff here.  Right now, I should be taking an online course on the star schema.
Any suggestions for classes employers will recognise here? I'm more of a analyst/report dev than you but I'm really struggling with having the skills in most postings (where they seem to want a dba, bi infrastructure engineer and report developer in one person for £30k). I'd be ok if I could travel but thanks to being allergic to life I can't.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »
Any suggestions for classes employers will recognise here? I'm more of a analyst/report dev than you but I'm really struggling with having the skills in most postings (where they seem to want a dba, bi infrastructure engineer and report developer in one person for £30k). I'd be ok if I could travel but thanks to being allergic to life I can't.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

That's one of the strangest aspects to job seeking here, every job spec comes with a long laundry list of the hottest skills required and frequently a laughably low salary.  Not that I am ridiculing anyone whose salary is 30k or less, but for a job in London for a person who possesses such a wide variety of expert skills, that would be very low.

When faced with a job spec like that, you don't want to apply because you've got solid experience with maybe 1/3 of them.  The rest you've got a passing acquaintance with and some you've not even heard of.  You are afraid that you will be immediately rejected and even be wasting the recruiter's time.  The result is that you don't actually apply for any jobs. 

I've gotten all my jobs (contracts) over the internet for almost 15 years now and this is what I have learned - Apply for every job spec that you could do even the tiniest part of.    There is no penalty for applying, there is no blacklist of stupid people that waste the time of recruitment consultants and more importantly there is nobody else who actually can claim all those skills.  Most of the time that list is actually created by the recruitment consultant who doesn't even understand all those acronyms anyway.   When I look back at the job specs that I ultimately got the contract for, they bore no relation to the actual job or even what the client wanted in the interview.  Make a truthful CV, apply for everything and you will actually get calls from recruiters who are interested. 

Second, the difference between a job  asking for a dba, bi infrastructure engineer and report developer in one person for £30k and job asking for  dba, bi infrastructure engineer and report developer in one person for £75k is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Neither actually require you to do all of those things and the 30k one is just from a company that only values thier employees a little and will happily pay them peanuts if they are stupid enough to accept it.  If you apply for the £75k one, they will actually expect less of you, treat you better and respect you more.  And they will be more likely to make special accommodations for you because that's what you do for someone who make 75k.  Companies who want to pay 30k won't do that because they don't value you.   Even better, it's actually easier to get the 70 k job because most people don't have the confidence to ask for it. 

What does this mean in real life?  I make my CV as truthful as possible. I list all of my core skills plainly, and list a bunch of other skills I know less about as "Other skills"  I have list of online learning I have done where I list every hot 3 letter acronym going, but do not claim experience in.  For the reasons listed above, I set my salary expectations at a fairly high level and stick to it. I completely ignore the 30k jobs as I mentioned above.   

• Liked: 957
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:17 PM »
That's one of the strangest aspects to job seeking here, every job spec comes with a long laundry list of the hottest skills required and frequently a laughably low salary.  Not that I am ridiculing anyone whose salary is 30k or less, but for a job in London for a person who possesses such a wide variety of expert skills, that would be very low.

When faced with a job spec like that, you don't want to apply because you've got solid experience with maybe 1/3 of them.  The rest you've got a passing acquaintance with and some you've not even heard of.  You are afraid that you will be immediately rejected and even be wasting the recruiter's time.  The result is that you don't actually apply for any jobs. 

I've gotten all my jobs (contracts) over the internet for almost 15 years now and this is what I have learned - Apply for every job spec that you could do even the tiniest part of.    There is no penalty for applying, there is no blacklist of stupid people that waste the time of recruitment consultants and more importantly there is nobody else who actually can claim all those skills.  Most of the time that list is actually created by the recruitment consultant who doesn't even understand all those acronyms anyway.   When I look back at the job specs that I ultimately got the contract for, they bore no relation to the actual job or even what the client wanted in the interview.  Make a truthful CV, apply for everything and you will actually get calls from recruiters who are interested. 

Second, the difference between a job  asking for a dba, bi infrastructure engineer and report developer in one person for £30k and job asking for  dba, bi infrastructure engineer and report developer in one person for £75k is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Neither actually require you to do all of those things and the 30k one is just from a company that only values thier employees a little and will happily pay them peanuts if they are stupid enough to accept it.  If you apply for the £75k one, they will actually expect less of you, treat you better and respect you more.  And they will be more likely to make special accommodations for you because that's what you do for someone who make 75k.  Companies who want to pay 30k won't do that because they don't value you.   Even better, it's actually easier to get the 70 k job because most people don't have the confidence to ask for it. 

What does this mean in real life?  I make my CV as truthful as possible. I list all of my core skills plainly, and list a bunch of other skills I know less about as "Other skills"  I have list of online learning I have done where I list every hot 3 letter acronym going, but do not claim experience in.  For the reasons listed above, I set my salary expectations at a fairly high level and stick to it. I completely ignore the 30k jobs as I mentioned above.
That is solid advice. Thank you :) I need more confidence!

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »
Oh, but to answer your actual question:

I use www.pluralsight.com.  They've got in depth courses you can use as much as you like for something like £30 per month.  You can get a one month trial for free. In fact, I took a course the other day in using R with SQL Server Integration Services since they've added some new bits around that.  Or I should say I took the first 20 minutes of the course before I figured out I don't need to know more. 

Even better, you can sign up for a free trial of Visual Studio community edition (free) and get pluralsight for free for 3 months.

http://my.visualstudio.com

Using the Visual Studio site, I've got a virtual machine with SQL server and Visual Studio where I do all of my work for the online learning.  That keeps my personal computer from getting all plugged up with that industrial software. And Office online for using excel.  All for free.

Hope this helps!

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »
Jimbo's advice is very solid.  I get leads all the time just based on my CV on Linkedin.  State your skills, be CONFIDENT in yourself, and you'll be fine.... well, figuratively speaking.  It's a tough market to crack!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 03:06:58 PM »
Oh, but to answer your actual question:

I use www.pluralsight.com.  They've got in depth courses you can use as much as you like for something like £30 per month.  You can get a one month trial for free. In fact, I took a course the other day in using R with SQL Server Integration Services since they've added some new bits around that.  Or I should say I took the first 20 minutes of the course before I figured out I don't need to know more. 

Even better, you can sign up for a free trial of Visual Studio community edition (free) and get pluralsight for free for 3 months.

http://my.visualstudio.com

Using the Visual Studio site, I've got a virtual machine with SQL server and Visual Studio where I do all of my work for the online learning.  That keeps my personal computer from getting all plugged up with that industrial software. And Office online for using excel.  All for free.

Hope this helps!

I too have done training using Pluralsight. It's not too shabby
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links