Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Corelle dinner set  (Read 12677 times)

• Liked: 585
Corelle dinner set
« on: April 22, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »
You may recall me complaining about my partner ham-fistedly breaking our dishes, and so I replaced what was left of the set with a brand-new set of Corelle. Lovely, unbreakable Corelle.

I HATE THE CORELLE!  We don't eat at the table... we eat off our laps on the couch, and tonight is the 3rd time I have lost my entire dinner onto the floor because the Corelle plates are so light-weight and slippery on the bottom, that it just slides off my lap/off the arm of the couch.  Particularly infuriating tonight because I'd just made the most perfect chicken tacos with fresh corn tortillas, and WHHHEEEECCCCHHHHH... onto the floor.  >:( :\\\'(

So, my very pretty and almost brand-new set of Corelle is up for sale.  I paid £63 or something like that for them, but would be happy to take £30, and i'll pay for shipping it to you.

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/kitchenware-tableware/pdp/corelle-monteverde-12-piece-dinnerware-set-service-for-4-coee1456.html

• Liked: 676
Re: Corelle dinner set
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »
ooooh, bummer! :(

Wish I needed dishes!  I'm using Ikea wanna-be corel and have the slip-sliding problem bigtime, too. Finally got some of their larger bowls, pasta bowls I think they are, and when we eat in the LR I use those instead.  Any chance you can get some pasta bowls (like medium-sized plates, but with a lip around, like a bowl?) in your pattern?

• Liked: 63
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 08:51:55 PM »
Super bummer....and I am trying hard to *need* these dishes. And explain to DH why I need them. Going to sleep on it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:00:37 AM by vadio »
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
I think what I need is something that's not glazed on the bottom... that unglazed rim/ridge on the bottom will give it some grip.  So I'll need to actually go to shops and look and *feel*, rather than ordering online.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:26:04 PM »
Oh boy, I could really go for these. I have a really nice duck egg blue set from Gordon Ramsey but we have broken a few pieces.  I’ll have a sleep/think and if their still free I’ll be in touch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 07:22:00 AM »
Perhaps a tea-tray on your lap, with the dishes on that? Hate to see you lose your beautiful dishes!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 08:23:15 AM »
Oh no! Just when you thought you'd solved the problem.

When we eat somewhere besides the table, we use these trays from Ikea. Lightweight, little grips at the handles and raised edges all around. I usually put a placemat on top, but it's mainly to catch spills and drips. Would that prevent slippage with your Corelle?

If you need cheap, easy to replace crockery, we like Ikea's Dinera range in grey-blue. They're stoneware, sturdy and have a nice weight to them. They're not fancy, but they do the trick for us.

We've got our usual set of Denby crockery (amazing, but not cheap) but we're living at FIL's house right now and... ahem... no one washes dishes properly. ::) As in they use their hands (which they don't usually wash) and fingers to 'wash' plates... no soap. :-X So, yeah. We got our own set of crockery to use for the year we're here. ::) The Ikea Dinera set has been perfect for us (and a steal at £23 for six settings) and we'll probably take it with us when we leave because we like it so much.

Could you keep the Corelle for table dining and buy something else for eating on the couch? It's so pretty it'd be a shame to be rid of it, although I'm sure it would be very welcome to someone else here.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »
You may recall me complaining about my partner ham-fistedly breaking our dishes, and so I replaced what was left of the set with a brand-new set of Corelle. Lovely, unbreakable Corelle.

I HATE THE CORELLE!  We don't eat at the table... we eat off our laps on the couch, and tonight is the 3rd time I have lost my entire dinner onto the floor because the Corelle plates are so light-weight and slippery on the bottom, that it just slides off my lap/off the arm of the couch.  Particularly infuriating tonight because I'd just made the most perfect chicken tacos with fresh corn tortillas, and WHHHEEEECCCCHHHHH... onto the floor.  >:( :\\\'(

So, my very pretty and almost brand-new set of Corelle is up for sale.  I paid £63 or something like that for them, but would be happy to take £30, and i'll pay for shipping it to you.

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/kitchenware-tableware/pdp/corelle-monteverde-12-piece-dinnerware-set-service-for-4-coee1456.html

Oh man...my heart goes out to you....WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE THE TACOS?!

I use an old pillow from the sofa on my lap for our plate to sit on. That might stop the slipping perhaps?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 01:36:18 PM »
After sitting and staring at the piles of fried tortillas, chicken in green chilli sauce, and cheese lying scattered across the carpet, I went through, got a tub of warm soapy water and a sponge, then sat down on the floor next to the mess, re-filled all the tacos (trying to remove hairs and fluff) and ate them, then cleaned up the floor.  So at least I did get to eat the tacos... they just weren't as enjoyable as they should have been.

I was looking at that Ikea crockery online last night... same colour, too.  I think that's the kind of thing im going to go for.  The weight will definitely help, as OH has complained about the Corelle being too lightweight when he's doing washing-up.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »
After sitting and staring at the piles of fried tortillas, chicken in green chilli sauce, and cheese lying scattered across the carpet, I went through, got a tub of warm soapy water and a sponge, then sat down on the floor next to the mess, re-filled all the tacos (trying to remove hairs and fluff) and ate them, then cleaned up the floor.  So at least I did get to eat the tacos... they just weren't as enjoyable as they should have been.

I was looking at that Ikea crockery online last night... same colour, too.  I think that's the kind of thing im going to go for.  The weight will definitely help, as OH has complained about the Corelle being too lightweight when he's doing washing-up.

I can't blame you. I would've scooped them up, dog hairs and all, and eaten them anyways I think....You can't let good tacos go to waste.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »
I can't blame you. I would've scooped them up, dog hairs and all, and eaten them anyways I think....You can't let good tacos go to waste.

If I catch the cat licking his lips, I pretend I didn't see and return to my food.   ;D

• Liked: 223
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 01:42:15 PM »

At least you still got to eat them. Tacos, especially homemade, are the last thing an American in the UK should ever have to throw away.

They are good, sturdy and easily replaceable. They come in a pack with six settings or individually, so you can top us as you need to. If bought individually, they're less than £2 a piece, so won't be too hard on your wallet if (or when) they break. ;D
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 01:43:27 PM »
If I catch the cat licking his lips, I pretend I didn't see and return to my food.   ;D

Oh 100%
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 01:47:14 PM »

We did a lot of work in the garden on Saturday, and then we treated ourselves to a barbecue.  When we grill, we usually start with skewers of veg while the meat (chicken) slowly cooks in the background, the sauce forming a nice gooey caramelized glaze of awesomeness.  So we had skewers of chopped broccoli with a splash of soy sauce and grilled to almost-crispy perfection, then we had grilled cherry tomatoes... then we had pinepple.  Finally, we got to the skewers of chicken... and my husband somehow flung one of his chicken strips into the just-mowed-but-not-raked lawn, into one of the lines of grass clippings left by the mower.  I nearly cried over his disappointment (it's the dropped-ice-cream-cone/let-go-of-the-balloon thing!), but he picked up that chicken and pulled most of the grass clippings off of it, then put it back on the grill to try to burn the rest off and re-glaze it.  He was not losing that food.  He never even considered not eating it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 04:02:08 PM »
I love all of the ideas in this thread! We usually don't eat at a table, and my husband is lucky his legs are flat enough when sitting in a neutral position that a plate in his lap doesn't move. Me... Not so much. Have definitely sent things flying even with the unfinished edge on the bottom. The full coconut curry on the ground was a fun one to clean (but I ate everything I could pick up).

Corelle is great, but I ended up opting for IKEA dishes long ago. Our next purchase is going to be some pasta bowl/plates that are just deep enough to not have to worry about sauce slipping over the edges!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab