Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: State's authority over personal rights  (Read 1627 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: State's authority over personal rights
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 11:54:22 AM »
I am learning loads in this thread.  I think it is worth discussing.
I feel very sad when I read these types of cases.  These poor small children and their parents and families and for the doctors and nursing staff all involved in the care.  Medical professionals take oaths to 'Do no harm' and I think especially it's worth remembering that they are not going to take a "We've done everything we can and it's better to let the child go in peace and comfort", lightly.
Of course parents will grasp everything they can to keep said child alive, the light and love of their life. And for that I give them all my thoughts of love and light, myself.  Very sad, very hard and there are no good answers.  Heartbreaking all around. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 04:08:40 PM »

It seems that one attribute Alfie's parents and their "Army" always display is a lack of thought and care for others.  What better way to continue this ethos to the very end:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/thousands-balloons-released-death-toddler-163803377.html?guccounter=1

If you see some evidence that any of this plastic was actually cleaned up, please let me know to restore my faith in humanity.  Ditto if you see some evidence that the £1.8 million pound "Charlie Gard foundation" is anything but a few paragraphs stuck at the end of a JustGiving page. 

• Liked: 537
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 04:13:24 PM »
It seems that one attribute Alfie's parents and their "Army" always display is a lack of thought and care for others.  What better way to continue this ethos to the very end:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/thousands-balloons-released-death-toddler-163803377.html?guccounter=1

If you see some evidence that any of this plastic was actually cleaned up, please let me know to restore my faith in humanity.

I thought the same thing about the balloons. Yeah, it looks nice, but the environmental impact is going to be massive.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 07:57:26 AM »
A gazillion balloons?  I would have thought setting up a clinic for, or at least paying for the medications that some mito patients need that aren't paid for by NHS would have been entirely a better use of the money. Education efforts would also have been a great option. A respite opportunity for a family of someone (of any age) who has one of the really serious mito diseases. Research, even. While the balloons money wouldn't have bought much, it could have bought some time or resources for a lab where they're trying to sort out what's going on. A scholarship in the boy's name to a medical student who wants to research causes/treatments/cures.

Another "feel good" stunt for a group.  But then, I've never really understood the formation of this type of flash-mob. I have to conclude that the little boy, while the focus of all the energy, was not the real motivation there.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »

You are very wise Nan.  That's what I would have liked to see happen to the two million pounds raised by Charlie Gard's parents.  Take a few thousand out to pay expenses and then give the rest to a real charity. 
Instead, the parents have started a foundation that doesn't appear to be doing anything. I really hope to be proven wrong someday. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 03:56:46 PM »
Exactly Nan. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 04:33:33 PM »
And who's going to go into paediatrics now, knowing that this is the sort of behaviour that they have to look forward to?

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 04:38:02 PM »
I'd like to think that, among those who chose medicine for the money, for the power trips, and other less-than-desirable reasons, there are still those who go into the field who want to help. (Sorry, Daughter has a friend who went through medical school who has plenty of tales to tell, and a lot of them are pretty discouraging.)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 09:17:17 AM »
After Nan started this post here, I started to follow this story a bit more.  It really bothers me that the parents seemed to be SO media focused.  I absolutely understand the power of the media and I get why they used that route to try to raise awareness, etc.  But it didn't feel like it was all about the little boy in the end.   :-\\\\

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 09:25:03 AM »
 :-\\\\

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »

Latest news, they've asked their army to stop photo shopping wings and halos on pictures of Alfie and using it as a profile picture because the mom is getting pretty sick of the whole thing. 

Not the first people to regret creating an army when it all starts to go pear shaped. 

• Liked: 27
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 12:16:22 PM »
Not sure if others have read this:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/28/call-from-god-american-pro-lifers-role-in-alfie-evans-battle

Parents were very clearly manipulated (and very, very young themselves when Alfie was born.) Although I certainly did not agree with their campaign (disclosure, live in Liverpool, have had children/friends be treated at Alder Hey and work there) I think their child's medical situation was taken advantage of by many people.

Sponsored Links