Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Trump wants to require US visa applicants to disclose 5 years of social media hi  (Read 5391 times)

• Liked: 957
Did I kill the thread?  No comments on Trumps tweet?   ;D

I think most of us agree with you ;)

• Liked: 1892

I'm becoming more and more convinced that there isn't any point in arguing with strangers about politics on the internet.  It doesn't make anybody happy and rarely changes anyone's mind. 

• Liked: 957
I'm becoming more and more convinced that there isn't any point in arguing with strangers about politics on the internet.  It doesn't make anybody happy and rarely changes anyone's mind.
I honestly "ignored" a couple posters on here, but their comments still show up in quotes and I continue to be thankful I did that. My mental health doesn't have space for crappy people right now!

• Liked: 4985

There is ZERO point in arguing on the Internet.

But it can provide hours worth of entertainment.

• Liked: 1327
There is ZERO point in arguing on the Internet.

But it can provide hours worth of entertainment.

It's easier to find it entertaining when I don't care so passionately about the topic I'm debating.  I do not argue politics anymore.  I am actually quite sad about the state of things.  I'm just sitting here in my little patch of happiness, waiting for the inevitable collapse of society.  ;)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
It's easier to find it entertaining when I don't care so passionately about the topic I'm debating.  I do not argue politics anymore.  I am actually quite sad about the state of things.  I'm just sitting here in my little patch of happiness, waiting for the inevitable collapse of society.  ;)

I hate that the two countries that I have allegiance to are bound and determined to destroy their own economies - let alone the xenophobic atmospheres that have been magnified.

• Liked: 533
I have been influenced by social media on some things.

"Framing"is interesting, that we filter things through a personal set of basic views. So when we are presented with a new bit of data, or a new argument, we "make it fit" into our long-established "frame".

I think that one of the things that led to Sapiens being such a unique species is our ability to recognise patterns better than other species. But it is an imperfect process. Cognitive biases and such.  We also have a tendency to use a sort of reasoning through analogy, where when presented with something new, we compare it to something we think is similar. Analogical reasoning like this is not as sturdy as say deductive reasoning.

These things allow us to contort things to fit the very basic frames that we begin constructing from a young age. General ideas of morality, etc.

The potency of today's conflicts is occurring as discussions are hitting really hard on these core beliefs.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 01:38:14 PM by sonofasailor »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

I hate that the two countries that I have allegiance to are bound and determined to destroy their own economies - let alone the xenophobic atmospheres that have been magnified.

Yes. In the grand scheme of things, Trump does not bother me nearly as much as Brexit. If Mueller doesn't get Trump, either the next election or the term limit will.

Brexit.....endless murkiness.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1892
I have been influenced by social media on some things.

"Framing"is interesting, that we filter things through a personal set of basic views. So when we are presented with a new bit of data, or a new argument, we "make it fit" into our long-established "frame".

I think that one of the things that led to Sapiens being such a unique species is our ability to recognise patterns better than other species. But it is an imperfect process. Cognitive biases and such.  We also have a tendency to use a sort of reasoning through analogy, where when presented with something new, we compare it to something we think is similar. Analogical reasoning like this is not as sturdy as say deductive reasoning.

These things allow us to contort things to fit the very basic frames that we begin constructing from a young age. General ideas of morality, etc.

The potency of today's conflicts is occurring as discussions are hitting really hard on these core beliefs.

I've got a frame for you :

Hahaha
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:21:13 PM by jimbocz »

AKA: Carolina chapstick.

• Liked: 676
And on a side note, earlier someone was talking about a change like this not having any support or something along those lines. There was an election in 2016 and overwhelmingly the American people nominated the candidate who spoke out about the need for radical change to the broken immigration system. President Trump made it VERY clear what he wanted to do with extreme vetting, and social media history is just a part of it. Simple as.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

A little late, but I've been busy with the laundry. About that "overwhelming" bit. A close race, but he lost the popular vote by a measurable margin.

Presidential ticket                    Votes               % of total
Trump / Pence    Republican     62,984,828    46.09%
Clinton / Kaine    Democratic     65,853,514    48.18%
Johnson / Weld    Libertarian     4,489,235           3.27%
Stein / Baraka    Green           1,457,226            1.06%
McMullin / Finn    Independent    732,273            0.53%
Castle / Bradley    Constitution    203,091            0.15%

Trump is a puppet. (And seeming to be a not terribly bright one.) I'm still curious as to precisely who is pulling the strings, really. Pence scares the willies out of me, so it could be him. Or... eh, I'll never know. And I'm probably much happier not knowing. The history books will sort it out in 50 years. If they're not censored. It all depends on who 'wins', then, doesn't it. Only a fool would think that "the American People" are in charge in the USA. Or that their "social media" isn't already on a hard drive somewhere, being mined as we read.

Ah, spin cycle is over. Can go back to doing something productive, like hanging up my socks. Have a nice night, all. 8)

[Edit:  "Fool" in the metaphorical sense. Not trying to insult anyone here specifically!]
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:53:05 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 676
Yes. In the grand scheme of things, Trump does not bother me nearly as much as Brexit. If Mueller doesn't get Trump, either the next election or the term limit will.

Brexit.....endless murkiness.

And the cause of frequent hyperventilation, yes. I wanted to be able to see this from the inside. Wow, hell of a view! I'm getting whiplash from watching it bounce around the closet!

• Liked: 113

This. It’s quite sad. In my case, 3 countries. Including the Philippines who has quite a notorious president right now 🇺🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 1327
Trump is a puppet. (And seeming to be a not terribly bright one.) I'm still curious as to precisely who is pulling the strings, really. Pence scares the willies out of me, so it could be him. Or... eh, I'll never know. And I'm probably much happier not knowing.

Everybody is pulling those puppet strings.  You don't get far in politics if you don't know how to manipulate people, and anybody can spot how easy Trump would be to manipulate.  They're all doing it to one degree or another.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links